First Time, First Build

So here it goes:

MarkI_idea.gif

Mk I with neck and stuff

I spent a great deal of time just sitting on my computer drawing a detailed full size plan of this thing. The images are just simplified versions. Wood selection is sketchy at this time. Some of your favorite species are hard to find over here in Turkey, especially figured maple for the top. Mahogany, ash and beech I can find in abundance. Got some merbau, wenge, mahogany and ash ready. My plan is to build the body from merbau, the top from ash, the neck can be mahogany / rosewood. I expect no problems with the body; I read all I can find and did my homework on some pine and beech with templates cut from 10mm. thick MDF.

I have access to a CNC router with a table area of 100 x 60 cm. but I have my reservations about using it. Although I am good at using software like Rhino, Freehand or CorelDraw and the owner of the machine is a friend who will gladly help, I think going in that direction will keep me from the hands-on experience of the building process. I read your thoughts about CNC machines in this forum but I am still open to suggestions. But I will definitely be using it to build some jigs, radius feelers and blocks, etc.

Scale length is 25.5" (man, I am having a hard time with all the inches and fraction stuff). Neck pocket depth and width according to Fender standards. Bolt on neck with 4 bolts, no neck angle, Fender type hardtail bridge. String spacing is 2-1/4". I would love to use a TOM bridge with a string through body setup, but I think setting the right bridge and neck angle is out of my league for now. Merbau is heavy, so this will be a semi-hollow body. I am a big guy but I like the resonance :))

Question: Is the size of the neck pocket enough? It seems to hold a Strat neck firmly in place in my test body, but I am still in doubt.

Need guidance: I think the headstock design needs improvement. Once I am settled with the design, I will add the Planet Waves locking tuners to the schematic. Strings need to be straight, not fan out. Any ideas?

I just hope I could play what I built onstage.

All the best.

Edited by Motorbreath

Can't offer you any help or technical advice, but I like that shape. It certainly has similarities to Godin designs, but I"m curious to what the "subtitle" of your thread is referring to-- has somebody previously told you that it looks like a Godin guitar?

No matter what it may or may not look like, what it looks like is... great! :D

Greg

Being new to the forum, I read many of the posts before posting anything. I expected some remarks like that and started the thread as it is. And yes, today at the office a friend, who happens to be a bass player, told me that it looks like a Godin. I own one and love the shape, but this is only one of the three plans I've created. One of the plans looks a lot like something between MusicMan Bongo Bass and a body shape I've seen on this forum (probably Toddler's). But I wouldn't build that without his consent.

Oh well, it's just lines on screen/paper for now. I already clamped the blanks. Which reminds me that I need WAY more clamps lol.

the neck pocket is simalar to a contoured heel or a aanj you would have to use neck ferules or a contour plate (the plate would probably be harder to find in your country. From what i can see it looks like it would be fine just keep checking the test body see if the neck moves when you do bends and stuff like that. what does merbau look like is there any way you could post a pic im always intrested in seeing new woods and i think alot of the other members are too. Good luck on your build the design looks great.

@Geo: Thanks for the link. I was using Wfret, but it keeps crashing. Other than that I keep StewMac's online imperial-metric calculator open at all times :)

@gibsonsg26: I think I can do the machining of the contour plate. But ferrules would look and feel better IMHO. I can't test it with the pine body, because I've got the pine from Bauhaus (big time hardware store over here) and it is really soft. I can tear small chunks with my nails. And merbau looks like mahogany meets wenge.

Here are the pics:

Merbau 1

Merbau 2

Merbau 3

Ash body blank

Take care.

That is some very nice wood, I might have to look for some Wehongany or was that called Mahenge. It slightly reminds me of jatoba, only much merbau is much better looking, more colors. The color is very interesting like an orangey/rusty cocobolo look; Cocobau or Merbolo is what I'm calling that color. Anyway, this is looking like an excellent project from every aspect from the plans to the woods! Love that fhole thing and the entire shape, very nice. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Make sure to take plenty of progress pics for us. J

Hey, that's a great looking guitar! Don't be too quick to dismiss the cnc. It's an amazing tool, but it isn't magic. The cnc presents a whole different set of challenges to figure out, like fixtures and machining strategies. It really all depends on what you like to do. I do cnc work for a living, and it is fun for me to use those skills to make something for myself for a change. Even if you don't use the cnc to cut your whole guitar, you could still make some excellent templates to use with your router. Plus, no matter what anyone says, there is plenty of hands on work to do even if you cut your guitar in the cnc.

I made some molds for vacuforming with the CNC for my RC cars. Modeled in Rhino and machined from hardwood, it worked like a charm. But I find it difficult modeling the whole guitar with exact hardware data (I do it anyway when I'm planning the templates, but you can get my meaning). I don't fully dismiss the idea though. I like the idea of perfectly reproducible results that a cnc router provides. But first I feel that I need to get the hang of building.

Cheers.

If I knew anything about CNC (which I don't), or had access to the skills and machines required, my temptation would be to CNC the body shape and top carve (if there will be a carve) and do things like the neck pocket and cavities with standard power tools. Although some people find it the most satisfying part when worked by hand, using CNC for the back of the neck seems like a good application, too.

that wood looks amazing. Even though alot of builders are against cnc machines looking at companys like carvin when you see there machine carving tops and all that it looks pretty cool. It is a shame that jobs are getting lost to cnc machines but they are pretty efficent and they open jobs for cnc operators. Good luck on your build. :D

CNC or not, that is one nice looking body shape. I'll be watching this one for sure!

Well, good new first. The merbau back is sanded and ready for the weekend - for CNC or template routing. Bad news is the ash parts for the top warped a little bit. It was air and kiln dried. Maybe I should have acclimate it before cutting. So I need something for the top now. Will take some pics of it tomorrow.

Cheers.

the neck pocket is simalar to a contoured heel or a aanj you would have to use neck ferules or a contour plate

I´m going to start a tele build in about amonth with an AANJ style neck pocket. What are neck ferules and contour plates? As far as I can see on my RG there are just 4 coutner sunk screws with washers...

Thanks, Rob

No topic hijacking pls :))) NP, Ferrules are a part of this project anyway.

Well, here is the merbau body blank, glued, sandede and ready to get attacked by a router.

Merbau body blank

And this is the ash top, warped but I think still usable (the figure is deeper, flash ruined it a bit).

Ash top

My ash body blanks are a little "bowed" now. I think I can salvage them when they are stabilized. Tonight I'm going to start cutting the merbau body. I will share the outcome.

Take care.

Yeah, that merbau looks great!!! Definately something different and something very cool. I can't decide why it looks so cool to me, but it really looks cool. That is going to be a very cool looking piece! There was a really cool flamed ash piece someone was selling a while ago, that would have been cool for a top as well, although your piece is very good looking and clean. Should really be a nice looking guitar when finished. Please keep the progress pics coming and best of luck. J

I tested a bit with it and today will be cutting a body. First, it's great for routing. If the template is flawless and the router bit is sharp, the work area needs only minimal sanding. It's a bit boring, I second that. But much less boring than mahogany imo. The body blank I've put together has some figure. Well, we will see today :)) And BTW it's on the heavy side.

Yeah, if i was ever to use it as a body i would chamber it, i did some practice routes on a board to test the machining qualities and it definitely machines nicely.

Has i nice mahogany like tone from what i can tell, how does your piece sound from a tap test?

I'm afraid I'm too n00b to tap test a piece of wood :)) From what I can tell it seems to resonate nicely. I will definitely be more specific when I string and play it. I have more of it, I hope it turns out to be useful. I know that bass builders use this wood. My only concern for this kind of hardwood is that the sound may be too "brittle" or "edgy".

Take care.

Update on my test build. Warped ash is saved, but got thinner in the process. So I decided to create a real guitar out of my test build before cutting the merbau for the real deal :)) This is the result:

Ash top glued to black pine body with 12 mm merbau insert in the middle

Like I said I've decided that I've done enough testing and this body deserves to be a full featured build. So it gets a 12 x 3 mm Merbau insert right in the middle which will be complemented with merbau binding as soon as I get my hands on a suitable router bit for the channel.

Close-up shot

Now I've got two bodies in progress and two ash body blanks waiting for their turn. I'll keep you posted on the merbau blank.

Cheers.