Why Aren't Rosewood Fretboards Finished?

Why would penetrating deeper help it any ? What you are concerned about is the very surface of the wood that you can see. Any of those oils will not keep the maple clean. I have a maple board on one guitar done with "Danish oil". applied that many years ago. If you like clean looking maple, then you'd think the Danish oiled board looks like hell now. Next time, I'm going to use super-glue as a wipe-on finish. I already did it on scrap and I think it's better than anything. I'm not talking about a built up gloss finish (yes, I've done that with CA as well). I'm talking about a satin finish, which is pretty much the surface of the wood hardened with super-glue and lightly sanded and polished with steel wool. I can't remember if I used water-thin or medium super-glue, or an in-between mixture that I know I made a while back.

When you say "over time", that seems very vague. Even lacquer will wear down over time.

I spoke with a very experienced refinisher who does a lot of tru-oil necks (hundreds) and he tells me that it's a very nice finish. He has not had any issues with the finish so far.

Here is a pic of a neck, on a guitar he plays very frequently, that he tru-oil'd four years ago:

guitarrepair2005.jpg

In any case, my point is only that it is a much more durable/protective finish than traditional oils, and can get quite hard if allowed to cure properly. A tru-oil finish, done right, will protect maple from discoloring just like laquer will.

Here is an interesting thread I found about tru-oil that touches on issues we are discussing such as durability and hardness: http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/forum/threa...?id=357_0_7_0_C

CMA

The neck in the photo looks to have a dark wood fret-board, so yeah, not much to worry about on that one. it's the fret-board that get the abuse, not so much on the back of the neck. I did a few oil finishes on maple necks with rosewood and phenolic fret-boards and the oiled back of the necks still look good.

Fret height also matters. Low frets make your finger tips grind into the board more. It's hard to keep fingertips clean enough not to grind in traces of dirt that eventually start to accumulate on the lightly finished wood.

I think Enie Ball/Music man uses the tru-oil. I can see the dirt on some of them. Seems like the ones that go up for sale look more clean. Maybe they didn't play so nice, so didn't get much wear.

Here is what Houndog said:

"It's very durable [the finish], and plays great on maple fingerboards. About a third of the necks I've done were maple fingerboard necks...."

I'll just have to wait and see when I get a chance to do some maple fboards with tru-oil. I'll definitely post an update and see how it works out.

CMA

Tru-Oil is a great finish, but I don't think it will keep a maple fretboard from eventually becoming worn and dirty.

The point i have been trying to get across in this thread is that anything you use will wear away and become dirty eventually - there isnt really a cure for that. Oil will do it within a couple of months, tru-oil i could see lastig a couple of years heavy play, lacquer maybe a couple of decades!!!

The good thing about tru-oil is that it has the advantage of feeling like an oiled neck but is much more hardwaring than a normal oil finish. Personaly i hate the feel of lacquered fretboards so would always choose a dirty oiled neck over a clean lacquered one

Did the wood bother you before any cutting or sanding? That wood always makes me nervous because I am allergic to so much, I think there was like 3 things I didn't react to on a full allergy test. I have some coco and it came wrapped with a tiny bit of dust, but so far no problems and I have handled it quite a bit for dry clamping f boards/headstock cap, figuring inlay placement. I haven't really done any cutting though and I can bet you that I will react to the dust, just as I do to most thing, but I will just take extra precautions especially considering I already have asthma. I think most problems will come from just the dust of it, so a very clean fboard might be ok without finish, but if you feel you are becoming allergic to it and just want to be safe instead of swollen, you could finish it. That wood look very nice, dark, and rich when finished OR you could just pop a couple Bendryls before playing everyday, that way you will fall asleep before you react to the wood, lol. Good luck. J