Metal pickups

G_urr_A

I'm getting close to putting the bits and pieces I've bought or built during the last 6 months together, and I've been thinking about the pickups. I've got 2 old jackson hbs that I was going to use, but since I'm relatively unexperienced in pickups, I thought I might try something else. The only pickups I've played are the stock pickups in my cheap Morgan strat-copy, and the jackson hbs mentioned, and a pair of EMGs. I'm interested in knowing what something else sounds like.

What I'm looking for is a 2hb combo the would be able to give

1. a good clean sound, with lots of harmonics, rather acoustic sounding really

2. heavy, tight metal distortion, along the lines of Pantera, Iced Earth, Entombed and In Flames.

Both active and passive are worth consideration, though I think I'd prefer passive.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? What do you yourself use?

but 81's are pretty harsh on the clean channel.

Not really. They're very clean and fairly bright, but not harsh. I have them in several guitars.

guess my amp is just a wimp then :D

Oh, I forgot to say that I'm not that interested in EMGs for this guitar (though the sound of EMGs is attractive), mainly because I allready have a pair of 'em.

• 3 weeks later...

i must say the EMG81 isnt harsh (on my guitar and amp setup) but i have a big amp! they have good harmonics, i have also found that my EMG60 is a beautiful pickup, which is underestimated! however, assuming you dont want EMG's id go for:

the Dimebucker in bridge position (a hot pickup)

an alnico bridge pickup, like a PAF pro etc...

i would however use the EMG's, but i can respect that you are after a new or different tone for change, but i like my EMG's!

mike