Busted Rhoads Style V

A couple months ago my Kramer Focus 4000 (Rhoads style V) met with a little bit of an accident.

001_busted_vee.jpg

It sat like this for quite some time. Quite honestly I didn't want to deal with it. It was my favourite guitar and I was already very frustrated before it broke. Having it break that badly meant I literally just had to walk away and let things relax.

Once I stopped being a whiny baby I decided to get it back together.

I really wasn't in the mood to refinish the entire body. Honestly I wasn't even sure if a glue joint would hold considering is snapped right along the inside of the control cavity. So I did the only thing a sane person would do. I took a staple gun to it.

http://www.butterflybullseye.com/guitar/franq/100_0115.JPG

Unfortunately I don't have any pics with just the side glued and stapled. You can just see the clamp I was using on the glue as well as the crappy little bench that couldn't have been more perfect for the job. I also added an additional gouge to the front of the body and stapled that as well. Figured Franq was as good a name as any. The letters are actually cheesy foam stickers from a craft shop spray painted silver and nailed to the body. I took a certain joy in that part.

http://www.butterflybullseye.com/guitar/franq/IMG_2511.jpg

Keeping with the theme I add classic Boris as the monster on the top fin with the same silver spray paint I used on the letters. This was totally a quick and dirty repair but I really like it. I just works for me. Aside from adding some nifty black knobs this is pretty much where it stands right now.

http://www.butterflybullseye.com/guitar/franq/IMG_2514.jpg

I still have a little bit of work to do yet. There's a couple staples along the bottom edge that I'd like to fix. The top section still needs to be extended around to the back of the body and stapled. I'm also considering replacing the pick up. I might possibly just rip the pickup apart and use it as the basis to build an entirely new one.

More pics here

Well I must say that is the most horrible thing ever and I love every bit of it!!LOL. Seriously. It actually went back together fairly well, if you just posted that you stapled a V back together I think I would just laugh or something, but the way it looks and how you added stuff to it is really cool, and I like the finished product.

I am slightly confused so, is it all glued up or not?? I didn't quite understand if you ended up gluing it or not. By all means you should if you haven't, then just throw staples back in. Just find a broken headstock tutorial and get some titebond and your good to go, glue joint will be plenty strong. J

Yeah I can see how my original post wasn't clear. I did glue it all up. Tossed in on to my bench, tightened it up and slapped a good clamp on it. From there the staple gun came out. The think is rock solid. Haven't had any problems with it since.

I'm considering doing this as a proper finishing with the staples recessed and lacquer over top in the future. Considering all the finishes I want to do who knows if I'll ever get there.

Yeah I can see how my original post wasn't clear. I did glue it all up. Tossed in on to my bench, tightened it up and slapped a good clamp on it. From there the staple gun came out. The think is rock solid. Haven't had any problems with it since.

I'm considering doing this as a proper finishing with the staples recessed and lacquer over top in the future. Considering all the finishes I want to do who knows if I'll ever get there.

Cool! I'm glad that it was all glued up because that look is very cool and with just staples in, it was bound to be ruined. Honestly, I think if you could finish it like that it would be cool and in thinking about it, you could even do a from scratch guitar along the same theme and keep a flat surface. Just do as you said and inlay everything, you could even use some shell for the lines or faux dents and chips. I would definately write this idea down toward the top of you list, after your most important builds this should be the first fun or gimmick/themed finish. Keep us posted on this one and anything else you do. Best of luck and welcome to PG. J

Edited by jmrentis

I really like it :D Really unconventional, like was said before, but you definitely made it work! If it was just decals or whatnot, and wasn't all full of staples and nails and all other assorted unpleasant things, I'd say take it to a place and have them clear it for you. It'd make it last longer, not to mention be more comfortable to play. Nails and staples... *shudder*