My First Build

So far, so good. I'd go back and make a good template for the control cavity and clean it up a bit, but all the other routs look pretty clean.

Just take your time and don't rush a single step. And keep in mind that, if you're doing to be doing the finishing yourself, you'll be maybe 10-20% done (in terms of hours of labor) after you've finished the woodworking part of it.

So far, so good. I'd go back and make a good template for the control cavity and clean it up a bit, but all the other routs look pretty clean.

Just take your time and don't rush a single step. And keep in mind that, if you're doing to be doing the finishing yourself, you'll be maybe 10-20% done (in terms of hours of labor) after you've finished the woodworking part of it.

Huh, Maybe the pics look funny? The control cavity is actually very clean. :D What do you see? Yeah, I'm sweatin the thought of finishing it a little.

Edited by lowrider

its not perfect but i have seen much worse cavities - to be honest they should probably be a bit bigger if you wnat them for the screws

Your probably right about the humps being a little bigger. The cover plate template is 3/16'' wider than the main parts of the cavity though, so I think I'll be ok. I'm all for constructive criticism. What dont you like about the cavity, other than the little nick?

Here are some pics of my first build. Surprisingly all is going pretty smooth so far(knocks on wood). I dont know how to post pics in with this post.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w79/mikep911/DSCN2609.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w79/mikep911/DSCN2607.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w79/mikep911/DSCN2589.jpg

Dude, that thing looks awesome, but I have to ask you where u got the flame maple for the carved top, I mean, where did you get maple thick enough for that? I'm looking to do a craved top guitar. Thanks.

LMI sells it. My wife bought me their solid body "kit" and it came in it. It should have been a little thicker but I didnt store it properly and the boards warped a little. It's still about 9/16". I dont know how good their price's are but here you go.

link

Edited by lowrider

What dont you like about the cavity, other than the little nick?

I actually hadn't noticed the nick in the bump-out for the screw; what caught my eye was the outline. Functionally it will work perfectly well, and the cavity will be covered with a cover, so no big deal (believe me, I've hidden more hideous things underneath covers....). But attention to detail in every other area of your build will, in the end, make for a much more satisfying instrument than one that you consider to be "good enough" (especially when it comes to the finishing).

acavity.jpg

The arrows show some subtle humps where there should be a more flowing curve. Also, the upper edge does not appear to follow a straight line behind the screw bump-out. This is "good enough" for a cavity, but would not be for something like a headstock outline, or a fretboard radius, or a neck taper.

Zooming in, it looks like you sanded the edges with a spindle sander, is that right? If so, then it is dead easy to make yourself a router template for this next time; just do the same thing in a 10" x 10" piece of 3/4" plywood and aim for perfection when you sculpt the cavity. Draw it out in a computer drawing program, or use a straightedge for the sides of the cavity, and french curves or a compass for the rounded corners to draw it out; print on paper and stick it to the plywood, then have at it. If it gets botched, toss it in the trash and try again until you nail it...its only plywood.

I'm guessing you already had templates for the neck pocket and pickup routs, those look great!

Where you put arrows are supposed to be bump outs also, they're just on the small side. I actually used a template for this, no spindle sander involved. I think the upper edge is an optical illusion. It does look a little off but it really is an equal distance from the body centerline. Well maybe I'll go and re-sand my template. I did use a spindle sander for that. :D