I Am Finally Finished And Now Have A Picture Of My Bass.

Well I got a hold of a camera and decided to move this topic to a place where I am supposed to show pics. So here it is. I want to take some more pictures with more natural light but it is 1:20 in the morning so I will have to do with what I have. This is my first build so I would like all the feedback I can get, good and especially some bad, because I know it is there :D . Hopefully that way I will learn, or at least deal with it.

P1011878.jpg

I like it! Very nice build. As for bad things I don't see any, nothing bad, maybe improvements, but nothing really that I can say. One thing that I want to ask about, is the top a veneer? The lighting as you said is really low, so I am uncertain, but from the reflection of the finish on the edges of the guitar it looks like a veneer top of curly maple, so I was wondering. It could just be random reflection or uneven finish on the edge, but it looks like a veneer possibly.

If it was a veneer I would say definately go for a thicker top on the next one and maybe a thicker finish. What is the finish? Anyhow, some better pics will reveal more, but honestly I like the bass a lot, very nice colors and themes. I always get a kick out of those shell top knobs, I'm probably going that route on the project I'm working on. Though on some guitars they look overboard, like my little ibanez looks way better with just chrome knobs I think. Well cool stuff and thanks for sharing. Good luck with you next. J

I really don't like the way the pickguard looks, I think it takes away from the overall look of the build. The rest of the bass is very sleek, definitely see if you can try another material for the pickguard, it'd make it look much nicer! Also, I see a small line between in the center of the top. If you're having trouble jointing a top I can help you with some advice. Unless it's a veneer. If that's the case, make sure each edge is cut nice and straight, then tape them together and glue them on. This way the veneers wont pull apart and slide in the gluing process.

Nice work!

What type of pick guard do you like? What does this one lack?(I hope I don't sound offensive) And yes it is a veneer top which I did tape and it has a relative smooth crease. But that is where most of the problems lay, it accidentally got wet and I had to iron it flat and do some other stuff. And I believe i used polyurethane out of a rattle can(At the point I had not purchased a spray gun but plan to on next build) The pick guard is actually a creme color (created by shoe polish I couldn't find an already creme colored one) I know the picture almost makes it yellow/brown but it is more cremey(if thats a word) Thanks for replies.

It looks like a simple white pickguard with an inconsistent coloring added to it, it doesn't look like it fits on the build. The pickguard of my choice would be relative to the build. For yours, black pearl, tortoise, or red pearl would look best. But that's strictly my opinion! Just check out some of the different colors on Warmoth.

http://www.warmoth.com/pickguards/pickguards.cfm

I used a cheapy Ebay one (about $20) on my fretless 4-string, it looks pretty sweet!

4stringfretless8.jpg

If you look closely you can see that its a veneer. Just look at the small reflection just behind the bridge on the edge of the guitars bottom end. You'll see in the reflection what looks like a little step where the finish is uneven. The reason I mentioned a thicker finish is because of that little step or crease shows. It's the same problem that occurs with headstock decals, if you put a small or even regular amount of finish you will see the edges of the decal, it takes a bit more finish to make it all flush and invisible. The finish looks fine, I would just go with more until you no longer see those little edges of the veneer.

I actually hadn't noticed what Jon saw, that little gap in the top. My eyes and brain were tricked. I don't know if my brain thought it was an actual string or a strings reflection, but I just couldn't see it and I was staring at it for a few second :D

Outside of those things, its really very nice. I like the color a lot!! As for the pickguard, it doesn't bother me really, although I must be honest in saying I will almost never use one anymore since I became a wood-aholic. I just can't stand covering any nice looking wood, just a personal preference though and if you like em go for it. Definately, get some pics of that thing in the light, its really a beautiful looking guitar. As you said too, the pickguard is actually another color, so maybe in some natural light, it will look different. Well very nice stuff man, can't wait to see what you build next, best of luck. J

Edited by jmrentis

Look at the little screw just below the exact middle of the pickup. From there down to the bridge you can see a gap in the veneer that is off colored. I'd imagine it wouldn't accept color, which is why it sticks out. Honestly I couldn't see it at all at first look, your eyes and brain will tell you that it is a string, but once I programmed my brain: set gap=bass guitar,set bass guitar=4 strings, I realized there are no skinny strings and then all of a sudden my eyes could see the gap, it also looked like a string reflection at first, but there is no reflections of the strings, just shadows. It took a while, I think Jon saw it so easy because he is a bass guy, lol. Anyhow, its there and if you click on the picture it'll blow it up almost double so you can see it even better. As for shadows, the shadows are black and the line is very light in color.

As you said it is a great looking bass and these issues are minimal at best, but avoiding these little ones will make the next one amazing, so its worth it to explain how to avoid these. Thats what I'll expect when I get my current project finally finished, it'll be far from perfect and I want all the input I can get. I know most people won't like it visually and I don't care, I just want the build input to improve for the next one, that what these experienced guys are here for to help us newbs build some wicked pieces.

Edited by jmrentis

It is actually kind of funny...The color accepted in that crease, but none the less it is a crease(you can slightly feel a divot)and while I was buffing it with white compound it kind of got stuck up in there and I haven't yet got a Q-Tip with some water and clean out that area. So it is a crease that I don't like but it did accept the color, it is much smaller than is perceived on here. Thank you for the input though.