Do You Use Your Amps Overdrive Or A Pedal

sxcbst

I have a 2 watt single 6v6 tube amp that I built. It only has one channel, so I set it to have very slight breakup and use a modded boss overdrive with the level set high, and the drive set low, to drive the front end of the amp.

With multichannel amps it's possible to not use pedals, but it's nice to have different distortion tones to work with even if your amps drive channel sounds good. So thats why people with very expensive amps can still use pedals for overdrive/distortion.

I have a 2 watt single 6v6 tube amp that I built. It only has one channel, so I set it to have very slight breakup and use a modded boss overdrive with the level set high, and the drive set low, to drive the front end of the amp.

With multichannel amps it's possible to not use pedals, but it's nice to have different distortion tones to work with even if your amps drive channel sounds good. So thats why people with very expensive amps can still use pedals for overdrive/distortion.

Cheers yeh i get you, because take zakk wylde ,he has his own custom marshall amp yet uses the sd1, so what your sayin is he might use either on different occasions.

Amp. There's really nothing quite like the tone of a tube amp breaking up in all sorts of tasty ways. Of course, since I have a daftly tweakable dual channel amp (Rivera TBR), that's an extra reason to use it. I haven't used the one distortion pedal I have (metal zone) in years....

For regular gigs I use pedals. We play a big variety of music, and I want my amp's clean tone untouched. That's why I have 3 different overdrive/distortion pedals on my board.

That said, for small gigs and jams I use a smaller amp set just to the point of breaking up with the guitar's volume knob for control, and a pedal for solos.

When playing in a band with two guitars,a high gain amp(like an engl,mesa,peavey jsx,etc)has plenty of gain,because the two guitars combined kind of in effect double the perception of gain...but by myself in my room I like a bit more gain...

As far as "top players" go,everybody is different.

I use my bass amp. I don't have anything else right now. I am currently using an Electro Harmonix double muff. I really like the added low end my bass amp adds. How metal is it when you are palm muting and your house starts shaking?!? Well, the 2x muff is just on loan right now until I can get my Digitech rp50. Then, it goes back to it's owner. I hope to get the Carvin vintage series Nomad 1-12". They look sweet for the price. Prob won't use the digitech for distortion after that.

I really like the added low end my bass amp adds. How metal is it when you are palm muting and your house starts shaking?!?

That's fine as long as you are playing slow...but all that bass turns to mush when you are playing actual intricate metal.

but then too,all of my metal amps have more than enough bass without resorting to speakers voiced to bass.

Intricate...octave pull downs (i think is the tech term) is about as technical as my playing gets except for this one solo I have which borrows a couple notes from Metalica. I'm a punk rocker at heart. (not this commercial radio bull**** punk either)

Well,considering that music is only an expression of one's inner self anyway,I guess amps and equipment don't make that much difference as long as they suit the individual.

I'm a little princess about my amps and guitars though...I wish I wasn't...I remember my first guitar was a plywood "applause" superstrat...bought used at a pawn shop...it had a crappy "trem" that would not stay in tune and I had to fight it into submission to play it...but I think I liked that guitar better than any I have had since then.

funny what you'll develop an affinity with.

It's not too mushy, a little weak in the bass when I am not palm muting... I am about to get the poor man's FX unit, the digitech rp50 (just waiting on shipping from IL to CO). I read that you can just plug into a power amp and use the EQ on the pedal for the best tone. My bass amp (peavey nitrobass), has a "power in", so I can use it as a power amp. Anyone else got a 300watt guitar amp?!? One day, I will have a real tube guitar amp... :D

I have a marshall and a few boss distortion pedals. I wana know if the top players use only a distortion pedal or just their amp overdrive or BOTH? I was just wondering because any top end amps are expensive just to use the clean channel and a boss distortion.

Which genre? A lot of the modern medal players are using overdrive pedals, usually Tubescreamer based, in front of their amp's gain stages. Usually the drive is set to 0, with the Tone set at noon and the gain set to noon or higher.

Anyone else got a 300watt guitar amp

Yes I do...350 watt marshall mode 4.but in effect it is no louder than my 100 watt engl.don't let the numbers fool you.

My advantage is that my speakers are more efficient than your average guitar speaker. I got 102db sensitivity, a normal guitar speaker doesn't usually top 90db. For every 3db, the sound is twice as loud. Even though you got 50 more watts on me, chances are my amp is still louder. I guess it depends on what kind of cab/speakers you are using. I can't get past 9 o'clock in my basement. :D

Oh yeah, I got my RP50 yesterday. I was in my dungeon all night last night jamming and trying to make a perfect distortion tone (not an easy task). Time to send the double muff back.

My advantage is that my speakers are more efficient than your average guitar speaker. I got 102db sensitivity, a normal guitar speaker doesn't usually top 90db. For every 3db, the sound is twice as loud. Even though you got 50 more watts on me, chances are my amp is still louder. I guess it depends on what kind of cab/speakers you are using. I can't get past 9 o'clock in my basement.

in my experience bass amps are never as loud as their same wattage counterparts,which is why the higher wattage is needed.

just for a point of reference...putting my 100 watt engl stack on 3 on the master volumme,with the channel volume at about 5,puts out about 90 to 100 db

if I put my master volume at 9 o'clock with the channel volume cranked,it would be extremely painful and would permanently damage hearing(mine is already damaged,so I consistently play at around 90db)

I am no expert just to clear that up. I always thought the reason that a bass amp needs more power is because of the frequency range a bass produces. It needs all that power to produce that freq at the higher volume. That's why in a club with a good PA, The 18" subs always have their own power amp. (usually about 1000 watts per 18) It takes a lot of power to move those big cones back and forth.

If you want to look at guitar rigs of the rich and famous take a look at

http://www.guitargeek.com/

It seems to have stoped being updated in 2004 but does give a good idea of who is getting what sound how.

PS

I use a fender 75 as a result overdriving it sounds terrible.... I have a ProCo Rat and hopefully a Big Muff by the end of the year (but the Colorsound Tone Bender is really nice as well... Hmmm)

Edited by The royal consort

• 5 weeks later...