Cracked Headstock

Hey Guys.

I have got a fender headstock that was smashed into a wall. There is a crack that runs to the bottom tuning peg. Its on both sides and down the side and in the tuning peg hole. I have a photo here.

headstock.JPG

I have been asked to repair it but i dont think the crack is in a place were it will not receive alot of stress and if i put to much pressure on it opening it up to put some glue in, it will just break of. Any suggestions?

Cheers

I would make a wedge or conical dowel (covered with wax) that I would carefully jam into the peg hole to expand the crack just a tiny bit. I would then use the thin version of CA (crazy Glue, Super Glue). That will seep deep into the crack. Then clamp immediately. The CA will affect the finish if you dribble it on the headstock, so be careful. The CA will hold up to the stress in this area (not that much stress as the crack is on “the right” side of the hole. A little finish touch-up and the guitar should be fine. I have done similar (not exactly the same) repairs from time to time and it have worked fine.

I would make a wedge or conical dowel (covered with wax) that I would carefully jam into the peg hole to expand the crack just a tiny bit. I would then use the thin version of CA (crazy Glue, Super Glue). That will seep deep into the crack. Then clamp immediately. The CA will affect the finish if you dribble it on the headstock, so be careful. The CA will hold up to the stress in this area (not that much stress as the crack is on “the right” side of the hole. A little finish touch-up and the guitar should be fine. I have done similar (not exactly the same) repairs from time to time and it have worked fine.

The problem being is that on the side the crack is zig zaged its not a easy crack to deal with. Would the waxy wedge idea work still work?

Without having the guitar here is of cause hard to be 100% sure, but the CA will seep very far into the crack no matter how the crack looks. If you do not have experience from working with thin CA be aware. It has very low viscosity, so it is harder to handle that you might think. A pipette with very thin nozzle (is that the right word) is my preferred tool to apply it into cracks like this.

As always, try it on scrap. Drill a hole at the end of a piece of maple and jam something into the hole to create a crack that reaches the end of the plank. Then apply CA to get a feel for it. Try it and decide if it is possible to use in this case. You are the only one that can make that decision, but I *think* that it should work fine in this case. The CA is at the first thing I would reach for if I had that guitar in my shop.

I’m going offline for a wile right now, but I’ll check back later

Good luck

While you're havin fun with the scrap test, try packing yellow wood glue into the crack (on scrap), and then get an air hose and really force that glue as far into the crack as you can.

I would be very concerned about CA gluing a wedged open crack into the opened position. No chance of getting it to close then. Probably safer not to wedge open if running CA into the crack.

I was not clear enough on the wedge thing. Use very little force on the wedge to open the crack just a tiny bit to help the CA run all the way down to the bottom of the crack. And that is if the crack is very tight. If the crack is open enough the wedge is not necessary. The thinnest CA might even run deep enough without the wedge. Impossible to say from pictures only.

Thin CA will definitely go deeper into the crack than ordinary wood glue except for maybe hide glue, but I have not enough experience from hide glue to be sure.

Hello,

I don't now it this will help, but I've repaired similar cracks my inserting wood glue with a seringe (a medical one). It can be tricky because of the vacuum effect, mas you can insert the needlein the crack and squeeze some glue wihle you slowly take the needle of the wood.

If necessary, you can thin the glue by mixing a bit of water. After that, you just need to clamp it.

Te neddle will act as a clamp to open the crack. You can also rotate the needle for better glue spread. Que hokle in the tip of the needle wil them spred the glue in various directions.

I've been using this method and it works fine for me.

Please leave any comments regarding this technique and if you try it, please tell how it went.

Edited by Anglagard

• 3 months later...