Control Cavity Cover Recess

I tried to freehand the cover recess on my current guitar build with a Dremel router base. It turned out less than sharp-looking to say the least. I've since added some slivers of wood to the body and cleaned it up a bit. Hopefully when it's finished, it won't be noticeable. My next guitar will have to be better at such details to look as good as I would like.

What's your method for cutting professional grade recesses?

I tried to freehand the cover recess on my current guitar build with a Dremel router base. It turned out less than sharp-looking to say the least. I've since added some slivers of wood to the body and cleaned it up a bit. Hopefully when it's finished, it won't be noticeable. My next guitar will have to be better at such details to look as good as I would like.

What's your method for cutting professional grade recesses?

templates!

Another method would be to get a local engraving firm who have a laser cutter to cut two templates - one for the outline of the cavity cover (keep the central part a a template for the cover itself) and one for the inner cavity which generally will have room for screw holes and a lip around the outside for the cover to seat onto. This would involve a little bit of CAD work though. That would result in something like this:

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/imag...ing_control.jpg

Ihocky2: I presume you meant using a rabbetting bit to cut the lip around an existing cavity? I can see this leaving either a wide lip (if you want room for screws) with a small cavity or large cover, or as mentioned - no room for screwholes! Sorry if I missed your point on rabbetting bits. I vote bearing guides template cutters :-D

Well, his first post was asking how to reccess the cover, not how to cut the cavity and a matching cover. So I assumed that he is looking for how to cut the recess. My preference is to use a template for the cavity, and another one that is created oversized for the rabbetting bit I use. I prefer a 3/8" rabbett, which is a hair large but gives plenty of room for screws. Then I'll use the rabbett bit to cut the recess. Finishes up nice a clean. Or if you prefer to use enlarged areas in the cavity as posts to screw into, you can get away with a smaller rabbett to get just enough of a shelf to sit on.

Rockler and or woodcraft have a router template bit set.

Not a normal bearing template router bit.....

With this system which includes a router bit, brass collar and additional add on brass collet.....

You make the cavity cover exact size and shape you want.... run through the right combo of collet and collar to create a perfect oversized template and change the system out to use that template to route the body itself for a perfect match.

Once you're used to this system, you can use the same template to cut more covers as well.

Should be about $30 bucks- It's what I use, works great.

Wow, that sounds perfect. Do you have an item link? I'll have a look at this on Rockler when I get to work....

Check out Routerbits.com, under accessories. Have a set coming, haven't used it yet. You may have to order a universal sub-base to use it with european routers; I've got a pair of Porter Cables, so that's not really an issue for me.

Is this what you're talking about postal?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=20...uter%20template

That's it. The one I use. Works great. Just play with a little scrap first to get the hang of it. Only down side is you cant have sharp corners unless you clean those up by hand with a chisel. Plan on rounding your corners on the cavity cover, or chisels them out.

Corners are easier to work than arbitrary curves so this isn't too much of a big deal really. Better than freehanding with a router or Dremel! How tight does this tool leave covers? I presume that it would be machine-tight, and the cover may need a little sanding to reduce it to size. Perhaps a couple of winds of pinstriping tape around one of the inserts would create a little size difference...

Also, would it be feasible to use it in producing plastic covers? I've not tried routing plastic and I can see reasons as to why i've not tried...!

Also, would it be feasible to use it in producing plastic covers? I've not tried routing plastic and I can see reasons as to why i've not tried...!

I have made a couple of pickguards from the plastic material sold by StewMac, Grizzly, etc. I used a router with a template to trim the plastic to final shape. You have to keep the router moving and have a solid setup to avoid the plastic chattering, but works great. I seem to remember a tutorial or some instructions on the StewMac site, but maybe it was somewhere else.