Truss Rod Replacement or Junk Neck?

I'm new to the forum although I have stopped in on occasion to check it out. Since there seems to be a great deal of knowledge here I thought I'd give this a shot.

I've built a few basses and also dabble in "repairables" (that's what I like to call them - some call them junk). I have a Yamaha RBX270 that is new but had apparently been set up by a gorilla. The truss rod nut is snapped off the rod in the adjustment cavity (adjusts on body side not headstock) leaving the neck with a nice bow. I think this is fixable but would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to remove the rod.

My thoughts are:

1. Remove the fret board without damaging it or the neck and replace the rod and paste the board back on.

2. Rout a channel down the back of the neck providing access to remove the rod and replace it, then put a skunk stripe in the channel.

Any suggestions? If removing the board is the best way to go (and I think it is) how do I soften the glue enough to get the board off without damaging the neck. I have heard of steaming to soften the glue and remove boards, but I'm looking for experienced input to the best approach to this.

Thanks for your :D

here's the tutorial on fretboard removal

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/removal.htm

if the accesshole (heheheh) is at the bottom of the neck and it's a double expanding rod, it may just slip out of the neck once you get it off the body and releive the tension, it may have been glue in though, so try gripping it with some plyers and pulling it out, then you may be able to slide a new one in, if not then you may have to go with that torial.... you were planning on doing EITHER A or B right? not both?

Yeah, A or B, wasn't too clear on that was I?

Thanks for the link. As soon as I hit the "add post" a friend of mine e-mailed me this link:

http://www.dbeweb.com/guitar/

Same principle without the steam. IMO the steam looks to be a safer way to go with a lot less chance of burning the board.

Hopefully I'll be looking this relaxed in 2 or 3 hours :D I'll let you know how it goes.

The board is off now too! Pretty easy job if you take your time and use that "bucket of patience". Now all I have to do is find a replacement truss rod. i was hoping to be able to fix this one or build a new rod using threaded rod but I ran into the problem of space in the adjustment channel to fit a socket in to adjust it. I see they're pretty cheap at StewMac (about $15) so I think I'll go that route instead.

Thanks again for the help!

Time to jam :D Problem is deciding which of the 6 basses I have lying around to use! Only 6, two more in progress.

So maybe I'm not as old as I think I am!

Try these:

http://home.centurytel.net/bluespresence/g...es/image001.jpg

Left to Right: Yamaha RBX170 (stripped tuner - on order); Yamaha RBX270; Peavey Fury (soon to be metal flake blue lacquer); Peavey Grind; Custom Purple P Bass (made by me; solid 1 piece mahogany body); Peavey Combo 115 Amp and Shure wireless (who needs cables?!) The Yamaha's and the Purple P are for sale.

http://home.centurytel.net/bluespresence/g...les/guitar2.jpg

In progress: Yamaha RBX270 (broken truss rod - on order then for sale); Black PJ (almost done! for sale); Jazz Bass (should be gloss white with all black hardware then for sale)

I know, you thought I was bs'ing. I would have thought the same thing! :D

i have a strat neck that i am wanting to perform a truss rod transplant on. it is off of a MIM strat, rosewood fretboard, adjusts at the nut end of the neck.

i know it's probably not worthe the time to do this, but i want to learn.

i have already started to remove the skunk stripe, to try and get it out, but the skunk stripe is breaking into little pieces.

i wonder now, if removing the fretboard would be easier....

also, does tha anchor part, at the heel of the neck unscrew, off of the rod?

• 17 years later...

I know this is a very old discussion, but hopefully you can share some info. I bought RBX170 bass (not sure what year — blue and unfinished maple neck with rosewood fretboard). During the setup I find out that truss rod nut is completely stripped:( I ordered some tools and I hopefully will be able to remove the nut. I would like to buy a replacement nut, but can't find any info about truss rod tread diameter or nut specs. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Markintosh said:

I know this is a very old discussion, but hopefully you can share some info. I bought RBX170 bass (not sure what year — blue and unfinished maple neck with rosewood fretboard). During the setup I find out that truss rod nut is completely stripped:( I ordered some tools and I hopefully will be able to remove the nut. I would like to buy a replacement nut, but can't find any info about truss rod tread diameter or nut specs. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

not sure this is going to help much... as it would seem like a unicorn to be able to buy a replacement... but if you can take the nut off w/o damaging it you could take it in to local hardware store and figure out the thread size.  then you MIGHT be able to find a purpose specific nut for it.  I have not seen much in the way of truss nuts but stew mac has some...

https://www.stewmac.com/SiteSearch/?search=truss nut

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

not sure this is going to help much... as it would seem like a unicorn to be able to buy a replacement... but if you can take the nut off w/o damaging it you could take it in to local hardware store and figure out the thread size.  then you MIGHT be able to find a purpose specific nut for it.  I have not seen much in the way of truss nuts but stew mac has some...

https://www.stewmac.com/SiteSearch/?search=truss nut

Yeah, I guess I will wait for the tools and will see if it comes off first:) Hopefully hardware stores will be open in June (we are under lockdown in Ontario, again)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Markintosh said:

Yeah, I guess I will wait for the tools and will see if it comes off first:) Hopefully hardware stores will be open in June (we are under lockdown in Ontario, again)

right on.  I don't know of too many GOOD solutions to remove a stripped truss nut.  in theory you could put lock tite on a socket and let it set... and remove it that way but boy... if that goes wrong it could be bad!

• Like 1

I changed the nut from a 1984 Fender Am. Std trussrod. Got the replacement nut from our local guitar store which isn't big. Getting the plug out was a bit clumsy, I simply drilled it away with a cordless hand drill. Agreed, I managed to break some wood behind the nut as well but the chips went easily back in with some super glue. And finally I "turned" a new plug out of a died branch of our plum tree. First I drilled a 6 mm hole into the piece, then put a long enough 6 mm bolt through it and fastened with a nut. Cut some excess off to be closer to the final dimensions. And then I just attached my powered hand drill to the rail of our porch and used various sandpapers to get the size right. Glued the plug in and shaped the outside with a carving knife and voilà! - You can see the thread marks from this angle

1315709121_20210505_094629(Small).jpg.487685b8b394c785507994265ff91f33.jpg

• Like 1