It Has Begun!

Here is tonight's progress:

- Headstock carved and sanded.

- Truss rod cover laminated and cut to shape (still need to route the edge).

Here is the headstock rough carved:

Guita%20Build%20Headstock%20Carve%20lo%20res-3.jpg

and here it is sanded with the truss rod cover in place:

Guita%20Build%20Headstock%20Carve%20lo%20res-8.jpg

I am wondering if anyone has experience using poplar for the body? It's not my first choice but I have a whack of it laying around so if I can put it to use why not?!

Cheers!

STV.

I have used poplar on several guitars, the sound is good. Poplar is a little soft, so you need a tough finish. just my 2 cents

Picked up the flush trim router bit for the body today an the one for the neck pocket. I managed to get the body shaped:

Guitar%20Build%20Body%20Shaped%20lo%20res.jpg

(those dark marks appear to be some kind of oil from the pads on two of the clamps that I used, I hope I can get it out. Could cause me trouble when finishing :D)

I found a mill nearby that sells rough cut lumber, and apparently they have some figured maple in stock so I am hoping to make it there tomorrow. Looks like I'll have to break down and buy the piece for the top after all. Oh well, I'll see what they have in stock and decide from there!

STV.

Managed to get a set of control knobs turned tonight. I made them from Cocobola:

Guitar%20Build%20Control%20Knobs%20Cocobola%20lo%20res.jpg

I have managed to misplace the bridge and the pick ups that I had wanted to use for this guitar :D

I moved recently and it seems in the chaos, they got packed and now I can't find them. Not sure what I am going to do about that. I have a set of humbuckers from an old Epi-LP that I had but they are not that great. I really wanted to use those P90's...

I guess I just have to keep looking.

Anyway I am off to the lumber mill tomorrow to scare up a piece for the top, I'll keep you all posted! Wish me luck.

STV

Man, it seems that the trouble gremlin has cast his evil spell on this build! No luck at the mill, well, I should say that they didn't have anything that was in the budget. So that's a bummer. I just checked my tuners again and it seems that I neglected to check what the required thickness of the headstock would need to be for those tuners. They need 1/2" and the headstock is almost 3/4!

I almost want to rebuild the neck at this point, but it seems it would be an awful waste. I will likely thin down the headstock, and see what effect that has on the shape. Considering the carve my feeling is that it may end looking too skinny and long, I guess we'll see!

STV.

Well I have had a touch of luck this week. I managed to find some hardware. When I bought the hardware that I intended to use for this build, I actually bought 2 sets, one chrome and one gold. I have wanted to use the gold hardware with the P90's on this build. Anyway...I found the chrome set. So now I have the bridge, and the tuners. I also have a set of Seymour Duncan humbuckers that were part of that set, but I don't intend to use them for this build. I am likely going to wind up a set of my own pick ups now, I have started another thread about this here. I may put the humbuckers up on Ebay to raise money to buy a top for this thing.

I hope to get at the headstock later this week, now all I need are pots, an input jack, strap buttons, fretwire, and a truss rod, oh and a fret saw, and I guess I still haven't made any decision on inlays yet either. Hmm...I felt closer to having what I need before I wrote it out. :D oh well, one step at a time.

STV.

Edited by nerosrevenge

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so now that the headstock is sorted out, on to bigger and better things!

I went back to the mill yesterday and managed to secure a piece for the top:

Guitar%20Build%20Flame%20Top%20Glued%20lo%20res.jpg

Now I can make some progress on the body!

Also, I managed to score some magnet wire (3 lbs for $30! Thanks fleabay!!!) for the pickups, and I got the bobbins made tonight:

Guitar%20Build%20Mag%20Wire%20and%20Bobbins%20lo%20res.jpg

I can't wait until this thing is done!!!

Hi

nice work there! I am going to wind some P90s myself, can you tell me how you did the bobbins?

Sure thing. I don't know if you can tell form the pics but they are made of Mahogany (I didn't have any fiberboard but you could order it from Stew Mac if you wanted.

I cut the top and bottom plates on the table saw (top is 1/16" thick and the bottom is 1/32") the core is Mahogany as well. I printed scale drawings off and glued them to the wood as a pattern, then sanded them to shape. I used standard 5 minute epoxy to glue them together.

If you need dimensions I have a document that I got from Swedish Luthier I can send you or you can look here (scroll down to the bottom of page 1).

Mikester - thanks for the comment on the neck!

I routed the wiring channel and control cavity tonight, and the top is currently gluing, I will post pics tomorrow!

Chow for now!

STV.

Sorry I haven't posted pics yet. I will endeavor to do that soon provided I don't decide to BURN THE DAMN THING!!

I attempted to route the neck pocket tonight, the template moved while I was in the process, now I have a problem. The pocket is oversized by about 1/16 total, and I have a gouge out of one side where the router bit cut in when the template moved.

So now I can't decide if is worth trying to fix, of if I should just start the body over. Currently I have 2 shims of veneer gluing into the hole, that has tightened it up considerably so I guess it will depend on whether or not that works.

We'll see.

STV.

EDIT - Ok well, seems that worked. I was able to finish routing the neck pocket and...

Guitar%20Build%20Body%20neck%20Mock%20Up%20lo%20res-2.jpg

There it is!

Additional pics:

Left side

Body close up left side

Body close up right side

Top shot

You can see the gouge on the left side of the neck pocket, I am hoping to fill that with dust and glue and sand it. I just hope it's not too visible when I finish the top.

That's all for now!

STV.

Edited by nerosrevenge

• 2 weeks later...