Second Project Started!

Bygde

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do all my work in CAD first of all. Your headstock looked like you'd worked out the string pull properly, so I kind of guessed you did it in CAD first! I think you could have quite easily made this build a set neck, but without a neck pickup, the tenon would show of course. With the 27" scale, are you popping a full 24 frets on?

Mine is going to be a six-string still so I can always go back to using the "standard" neck. Just an extension of the scale length with an identical headstock to increase tension slightly on open C tuning. Whilst i'm at it, I may cut an EXP template from the body as a good friend in Arkansas is wanting me to build him one.

Ett bra jobb!

Yeah I really took the time to get the string pull straight, and it turned out nice. It's a bit small though, the headstock is shorter than the headstock on my mom's acoustic six-string, and I have seven tuners :D I don't consider myself experienced enough to tackle a set neck, so I didn't want to take the risk. I will try neck-through on my next project though, or maybe set neck, can't decide. Yes, it will have 24 frets.

Okay nice! Post pics when you've started working, sounds really interesting! Haha so you know a little Swedish? :D

Just out of curiosity, what CAD program do you use. I use Solid Works at school, but have no idea how to model a guitar in it. Especially the neck/heel and carved top would seem extremely diffucult to me.

Cheers

I use BricsCAD. Far, Far from the level of AutoCAD, but it works for me as I don't really draw a lot anymore.

CAD is generally 2D work so you wouldn't model a carved top with it. I've never used Solidworks myself - I used TurboCAD which is cheap enough to buy.

Please take it to a new thread unless it's directly related to discussing this build Dirge. Thx.

Solid Works can be used as a 2D program as well, but I think the complexity of Solid Works is too much. 2D software is generally easier to work with

I do all my work in CAD first of all. Your headstock looked like you'd worked out the string pull properly, so I kind of guessed you did it in CAD first! I think you could have quite easily made this build a set neck, but without a neck pickup, the tenon would show of course. With the 27" scale, are you popping a full 24 frets on?

Mine is going to be a six-string still so I can always go back to using the "standard" neck. Just an extension of the scale length with an identical headstock to increase tension slightly on open C tuning. Whilst i'm at it, I may cut an EXP template from the body as a good friend in Arkansas is wanting me to build him one.

Ett bra jobb!

Yeah I really took the time to get the string pull straight, and it turned out nice. It's a bit small though, the headstock is shorter than the headstock on my mom's acoustic six-string, and I have seven tuners :D I don't consider myself experienced enough to tackle a set neck, so I didn't want to take the risk. I will try neck-through on my next project though, or maybe set neck, can't decide. Yes, it will have 24 frets.

Okay nice! Post pics when you've started working, sounds really interesting! Haha so you know a little Swedish? :D

I've got a few other projects i'll be pursuing before the EXP neck, but then again I do have a huge old piece of Honduran mahogany and a Macassar fingerboard which i've set aside for this purpose, so it may be within the next 2-3 months. Not sure!

My wife is Finnish, so we have all kinds of language flying around this house :-D

I've got a few other projects i'll be pursuing before the EXP neck, but then again I do have a huge old piece of Honduran mahogany and a Macassar fingerboard which i've set aside for this purpose, so it may be within the next 2-3 months. Not sure!

My wife is Finnish, so we have all kinds of language flying around this house :-D

Okay, nice! I'll keep my eyes open for it :D

Haha okay B) One pretty odd thing with a specific part on Finland, is that they only learn Swedish. Jakobstad is one os those cities. Feels pretty odd that they can't speak Finnish, yet they are from Finland :D

CAD is generally 2D work so you wouldn't model a carved top with it. I've never used Solidworks myself - I used TurboCAD which is cheap enough to buy.

Please take it to a new thread unless it's directly related to discussing this build Dirge. Thx.

Thank you for the info.

It was just a small question, and imho related to the topic (in a similar way as: what made you use brown as a colour for example). And I believe this is a forum.

Ontopic: Looking good so far! Really like the headstock as well.

Thank you for the info.

It was just a small question, and imho related to the topic (in a similar way as: what made you use brown as a colour for example). And I believe this is a forum.

Ontopic: Looking good so far! Really like the headstock as well.

No offence - just take it in the way it was meant, that's all. :D

Okay, nice! I'll keep my eyes open for it B)

Haha okay :D One pretty odd thing with a specific part on Finland, is that they only learn Swedish. Jakobstad is one os those cities. Feels pretty odd that they can't speak Finnish, yet they are from Finland :D

Pietarsaari? Just as weird as Ahvenanmaa!

Edited by Prostheta

• 1 month later...

FINALLY! I've finished a project at school, which makes it possible for me to get something done! I've built a Stewmac-ish fretslot mitre thingamajig for this project, and that's basically what has happened. Pics of the tool will be taken after paint. The fingerboard is slowly taking shape, and will hopefully be glued to the neck in a couple of days. The dots for the FB will be inlayed tomorrow I think. Depends on how long my girlfriend will be able to hold me down i guess :D The oval at 12th can't be done yet, since a friend of mine has borrowed my dremel, and it isn't fully shaped yet. It has been sanded better than on the pics though, so I'm gettin' there!

p1010629_1209156055.jpg

http://jonasbygdemo.blogg.se/images/p1010615_1209155686.jpg

http://jonasbygdemo.blogg.se/images/p1010621_1209155731.jpg

http://jonasbygdemo.blogg.se/images/p1010622_1209155887.jpg

http://jonasbygdemo.blogg.se/images/p1010625_1209155912.jpg

Edited by Bygde

• 3 weeks later...

Well, got my dremel back this weekend, and work kicked in immediately! The fingerboard is inlayed and radiused, and glued to the neck. The oval actually didn't turn out great, but since this is my first inlay (first fretboard too), It'll be fine. I realized tonight how much a light fingerboard shows flaws in routing compared to a dark one :D

p1010630_1210713948.jpg

I'm considering "using" the idea of sweeping the top curve back over the bass tuner side for my own seven-string builds Jonas. Looks very nice. I have only used the KL style headstock for 8-strings at the moment, and 3 over 4 in this style looks great.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing routing burn etc. but you just wait till you get through 120/160 grit and start polishing your maple up! It makes all the work worthwhile. When I scraped the back of the biohaz neck, it just started popping...can't wait to get her oiled :-D

Odd that you're having a black body and pale neck. Are you painting any of the maple? Black headstock face?

I'm considering "using" the idea of sweeping the top curve back over the bass tuner side for my own seven-string builds Jonas. Looks very nice. I have only used the KL style headstock for 8-strings at the moment, and 3 over 4 in this style looks great.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing routing burn etc. but you just wait till you get through 120/160 grit and start polishing your maple up! It makes all the work worthwhile. When I scraped the back of the biohaz neck, it just started popping...can't wait to get her oiled :-D

Odd that you're having a black body and pale neck. Are you painting any of the maple? Black headstock face?

Thanks man! Feel free to take inspiration if you want!

Yeah, I'm not that experienced, and a light board probably wasn't the best to start out with, but it's not like I'm selling the guitar on anything :D I had thoughts of painting the headstock face, but I think it'll look to cheap. It'll probably look like a 50$ guitar from China, at least it does in my head. That, and I like black tuners on maple necks :D The whole neck will be clearcotaed, and I'm going to wetsand the back.

Oh, and the neck is birch, not maple. Very small differences though, it looks exactly like my bass neck, which is all maple.

Black on light wood does look very respectable. It even makes P-basses look kinda cool :-D

I'm using black on maple for the biohaz 8-string because I like the contrast, although I do have a darker wood for the fingerboard (cocobolo) to even out against the (to be) black body.

Nice :D

Started carving the neck, and ordered the last parts (+ a little parts for the next one). When those get here, I will drill the mouting holes for the neck, and basically roughly finish the neck. Then its sanding, sanding, and a bit more sanding on the neck :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey this is coming along really nicely. [i've got an explorer build sitting on the sidelines waiting for me to get back to it!]

It's always worth redoing things if they stuff up too bad [re the Neck]..... the experience gained from the first attempt translates into knowledge for the second attempt.

As an aside, though related to what I'm saying .... I do a whole series of laminates on the front and back of my headstocks, the front is easy. The back, with regard to positioning things so that the volute works properly in relation to the laminates was something I must have done half a dozen times before I figured it out.

Here's an image of what I'm trying to explain. Knowledge isn't cheep, it does cost some time!

Doug.

• 3 weeks later...