Truss Rod Too Short?

Hi all,

I've bought a truss rod for a new build with a bolt-on neck, but it's at least 2 inches too short.

I'm intending for it to be head-adjusting, but it doesn't even reach the body!

Can I still use it? Or do I need to get one which overlaps the part of the body where the neck joins?

I suspect the latter.........

What would happen if I did use it?

Thanks,

DJ

Hi all,

I've bought a truss rod for a new build with a bolt-on neck, but it's at least 2 inches too short.

Can I still use it? Or do I need to get one which overlaps the part of the body where the neck joins?

Thanks,

DJ

What is the make and actual length of the truss rod? What kind of guitar? Bass? what? More info is needed to actually answer your question. Assuming you are building say something with 24" to 25.5" scale then somewhere from 17-5/16" to 18" is what you need?

Let us know and we can go from there.

MK

Hi all,

Thanks,

DJ

What is the make and actual length of the truss rod? What kind of guitar? Bass? what? More info is needed to actually answer your question. Assuming you are building say something with 24" to 25.5" scale then somewhere from 17-5/16" to 18" is what you need?

Let us know and we can go from there.

MK

Hi, thanks for your reply!

The rod is a single rod in an aluminium u-shaped channel. The overall length including the adjustment nut is only 16".

The guitar will be a 7-string solid body electric, 24 frets, 25.5" scale length. The neck to body join will be at about the 17th fret, meaning I reckon I'll need a rod of about 18" in length - this to allow about 2 inches of overlap at the neck-to-body join. Even if I move the rod a bit closer to the body end, so that the end of the adjustment nut is half an inch nearer the first fret, the other is still only at the 19th fret - which puts it right about where I'll be having the neck screw that'll be furthest away from the bridge (hope that makes sense!)

This would make the centre of the rod's length at about the 11th fret.

If I don't have that 2" overlap at the neck-to-body join is it still safe to use this rod?

I'm thinking "no".........

I've simply goofed and ordered one too short, eh? :D

Don't really see much point in trying to compromise here, I may as well be patient and get the right rod - unless I can use the 16" one I have and be confident it'll work ok!!

DJ

Edited by djhollowman

The fact you're going a seven string , 24 frets and a 25.5" set up is enough to tell me you want at least an 18".

Any less and you're asking for dramas.

cheers, Stu

Yup, that's pretty much what I thought!

There's just no point in going to all those lengths of building theneck if there's any doubt over the rod really.

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

DJ