Won A Pretty Neat Guitar On Ebay -may Refinish It - Need Advice

Voodoods

I just won an auction on one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=110169782576

It reminded me a good bit of an OLP/MM/Wolfgang so I pulled the trigger on one and I'll get in a week or so. Hopefully its a decent guitar - I sent emails to a couple of people that had won in the past and they love them so we'll see. If not, I'm not out too much hehe, and I'll just take it apart and rebuild it. I'm going to use this as my cheap-o travel guitar.

Which brings me to my question. Its a see-thru blue - not sure if its paint or dye buy my question is this - if I wanted to repaint it, would I just rough up what's there, or would I need to strip it all down/sand it and go from there. Do paints and dyes have a different procedure? And also how can one tell the difference?

Last but not least, body shielding with foil - I've heard of people doing this - why is it done and is there a how to?

Thanks in advance

I know you said, "if", so you're not necessarily going to go for it-- but that's a nice-looking guitar! I wouldn't want to fart around with what's already a cool-looking finish. That's just me. :D

I know you said, "if", so you're not necessarily going to go for it-- but that's a nice-looking guitar! I wouldn't want to fart around with what's already a cool-looking finish. That's just me. :D

It is pretty nice looking in the photo, isn't it? I'm mostly concerned about when it starts to get a little tore up =D Its going to be a travel guitar and only in a soft-gigbag, so I have a feeling its going to get thumped a few times on those jets (going to try to carry it with me, but I may have to check it at the gate if they freak out. I'll have to see.

I have an idea for a Duplicolor guitar ( http://www.duplicolor.com/products/mirage.html ) so I'm just trying to figure out what I'd need to do if I did want to strip it off.

Now I just have to get my pocket Pod and I'll be a mobile rockstar hehe.

I saw that too, solid mahog top, doesn't really make any sense.

I agree with the group, that the finish looks decent and actually I quite like it. Nice transparent blue with cool grain, very nice. I'd leave it as well till you really mash it up, which should be a while. I've taken an acoustic overseas and they walked it on the plane by hand and walked it off as well. They have a special section for awkward shaped or valuable items I believe and they will walk them on and off the plane if asked. I believe you will need to fill out a little paper saying how much it's worth. You shouldn't have many problems. I took mine in a hardcase which saves it almost perfectly. Best of luck and congrats on the guitar. J

I saw that too, solid mahog top, doesn't really make any sense.

Well, veneer is usually 'solid', right?

yes it is!

It should be solid mahogany - there are other guitars by this same maker - exact same guitar, but natural finish and they are solid:

natural finish

Also if you look at the pic, the seams for the body (looks 3 piece) match front and back... so unless they are using a matching veneer front and back...

This guy sells alot of acoustic guitars (most of his stock) so I think its a type-O

Edited by Voodoods