Blue Prs Project

Inisheer

I decided to do another project, but this time I will build the neck too. This project will be a bit more daunting than my last one, so I am both a bit nervous and excited. I know a lot of people are sick of PRS guitars with maple tops, but that's what I want, so tough. :D

Specs:

-Mahogany body/carved quilted maple top

-25" scale mahogany neck/indian rosewood fingerboard

-Flamed maple headstock veneer (I couldn't find any quilted :D )

-Mahogany left natural and maple stained blue w/faux binding

-Chrome hardware + gfs pups, black knobs

Templates.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks nice (so far...) I got quilted maple veneer for mine, I had enough to do an iceman body (pretty bid) and my head stock, and I still had a good chunk left over... I bought it from certainly wood, nice customer support, and shipping was great, but hard to open the box (it was basically sealed from water with tape). I would get the wood from them if you can't make the veneer.

Hmmm, you guys really think it will look that bad with both flamed and quilted? I already have the flamed veneer glued to the neck blank....but if will look really bad I suppose it would be worth it to change it. Can I just add another layer of veneer on top of this one? I wanted to finish the neck before I started on the body, so I don't even have the quilted maple top yet, so making my own isn't going to work. Any thoughts?

Ok, I guess I am in the market for some veneer now. I am also still looking for just that right piece of maple for the top too, there are a lot of places to buy maple, but I can't find one that especially catches my eye (for a reasonable price). No need to rush this project. :D

You don't need to buy a veneer! All you have to do is cut it from the excess of the top

If I happen to get a maple top soon then I'll try that, but if not I think it would just be easier to buy some veneer.

Ditto on the neck blank. You want the grain running as parallel as possible to the centerline. Using that piece is asking for twist.

When making the neck itself, it is best to leave the blank square as long in the process as possible. Don't cut the taper or work on the back contour until you've done everything else on the neck that you can possibly do, makes life much easier.

Mahogany's cheap enough to us a more 'perfect' blank, although it's also stable enough that I doubt it'll actually be much of a problem (using what you have, that is). Shouldn't cost much more than 10 to 15 bucks, after all, and its a guitar that should last a lifetime in the end.

As for the quilt, wait for the top. It's worth having matching wood (ie, from the same piece) if you're going to match headstock and body anyway.

Mahogany's cheap enough to us a more 'perfect' blank, although it's also stable enough that I doubt it'll actually be much of a problem (using what you have, that is). Shouldn't cost much more than 10 to 15 bucks, after all, and its a guitar that should last a lifetime in the end.

As for the quilt, wait for the top. It's worth having matching wood (ie, from the same piece) if you're going to match headstock and body anyway.

So it is stable enough? I think I will use this for now then. I will try to do some work on the neck...I can add quilted veneer later in the process right, that doesn't necessarily have to be the first step? Thanks for all the help and comments guys. :D

A little bit of progress: I routed the channel for the truss rod, rough cut the shape, and tapered the neck. I used the 3/8" Stewmac bit to go around my template, and that worked really well. Hopefully soon I can work some on shaping the headstock more, and maybe start working on the fingerboard.

th_03-Roughneck.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've been busy with school so I haven't been able to work on this much lately. I have the fingerboard glued, tapered and inlayed. Next is the part I'm scared of: fretting. I am also still searching for a quilted maple top....it's hard to find a nice set for a reasonable price. I have been talking to Larry at Gallery Hardwoods so hopefully he can help me out. Wish me luck!

th_07-Neck.jpg th_06-Inlayedneck.jpg

I know good quilt is not cheap, but I would prefer not to spend $200 either. Here are some options I am considering:

Choice 1- 7/8" thick and $110....not sure how well the figure will show after staining though

Choice 2- 1" thick and $135....this seem good?

Choice 3- .69" thick and $95....looks good but I'm not sure about that lighter strip down the middle....

Any of these look good or should I keep searching?

Thanks everyone, choice 3 seems the most popular and that's what I liked best too. Since Mattia says the difference in coloring won't be too important, that settled my doubts. I have contacted Larry and told him I'd like the set. Next up is to order some mahogany. :D