My Current Projects

oblaty

So...

My primary project is new neck for my musicman style guitar, also I´m going to refinish it... few days ago I get neck materials: slightly flamed maple, indian rosewood, TUSQ nut, musicman truss rod, 4mm pearl dots and so on... I´ll start working on it this week and I´m going to enjoy it :D

My secondary project is teleish guitar.... semi hollow body w. maple top and back (?) not sure yet, maple neck w. maple fretboard from my first project... I´m using old parts B) Some single coil pickups.. not sure about this project, but I got some body and neck, so why wouldn´t I make something out of it :D

Pics coming soon :D

I like the look of the Tele! Is that a rout behind the pickups? How are you going to finish it?

Also, I'm thinking of installing a truss rod with the adjustment at the body end as you have done. How close to the nut do you need to bring the truss rod? Or do you just take a standard 18" truss rod and place it so that the adjustment nut is just clear of the fingerboard? My scale is 25" by the way.

Heggis

I like the look of the Tele! Is that a rout behind the pickups? How are you going to finish it?

Also, I'm thinking of installing a truss rod with the adjustment at the body end as you have done. How close to the nut do you need to bring the truss rod? Or do you just take a standard 18" truss rod and place it so that the adjustment nut is just clear of the fingerboard? My scale is 25" by the way.

Heggis

I still don´t know what to do with tele... I want to chamber it and glue the top and back on. It will be natural maybe stained green or red... we´ll see :D The pickup routes will be no more. I want some kind of unique tele, flat hollowbody.

To the truss rod. It is not a standard two-way rod, it is original 18" Musicman rod. The guitar is copy of MM guitar, so I´m using standard sized MM parts, no experiments. The scale is 25.5". :D

It looks like that Tele is routed for a jaguar trem? Awesome. My favorite. And what are those pickup routes sized for? I'm intrigued.

It just looks like that :D

Originally this tele was equipped with some kind of tremolo, but it definitelly wasn´t a jaguar trem. The pickup routes are sized for classic singlecoil pickups, what kind, I don´t know :D

Edited by oblaty

Heggis

Yes, use a standard 18" rod and have the truss rod adjustment aligned properly on the body end, and the headstock end will just end up wherever it ends up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

After two months of illness I´ve finally got som work done.

Past few days I´ve been sanding, sanding and sanding, and today started to finish the neck. I´m using nitrocelulose lacquer again.

Sanded and fretboard masked

I like how the subtle flaming popped out

dsc00343eb1.jpg

BTW: I´m using a brush, not spraying the lacquer... I like this way on necks. I´m going to spray the body

Edited by oblaty

Thanks for all your replies. Today I want to slightly sand the neck and finish it with another coat of nitro. Also I want to sand the body, maybe even stain it with some black dye to raise up the grain of ash top...

I´ll try to post some pics later

EDIT:

Finally shaped the AANJ-ish neck joint, sanded sides of body.

Unexpected malfunction of my router caused a big trouble with completing electronics cavity, so I have to look for some router now... :D

Also I have some problems with uploading photos , so you have to wait to see the progress :D

Edited by oblaty