Lack of money

I've been pricing up the new peoject :D and all is not looking good. Especially as I've just got the bill for my student loan (which puts me a total of 21,000 quid in debt - not good). I can afford the bits and pieces for the guitar itself, but the cost of the tools looks like it's gonna cripple me. I haven't even got a decent work bench.

As I know a few of you sell the guitars (or parts of guitars) I was wondering how easy it is to sell them on? I'm not looking for a massive profit, I just want to recoup the cost of my tools (and maybe have enough left for the wood of the next project).

I'll be building jigs for pretty much everything I can so I'm hoping to maybe have about 3 guitars on the go at one time. I know that the price I can charge vastly depends on how well I make them, but assuming that I actually make them well, about how much can I get (Gonna be in a LP shape, slightly carved body, quilted maple top) and how easy are they to off load?

Cheers guys, any help would be quite appreciated, I don't want to have to call a halt to the project before it's started. I'll necer be able to sleep again.

:D:DB)

I can relate to your situation. The materials cost isn't so bad but the tools can really kill your bank account. Is there any possibility of going without some of the higher priced tools? For example, I have found that I use my bandsaw and router quite a bit. I also use my 13" plane but I bet I could find a way around this (Safe-T-Planer for example). One other thought - would you be willing to take a chance on cheap tools? Harbor Freight comes to mind, Ebay, ... This is not what I would normally do since tools should be a lifetime investment in my opinion but sometimes you have to make exceptions.

I happen to know someone who owns a guitar shop locally, so I don't have the same issues that others may have when it comes to selling. If you can find a way to guage what guitarists are into in your area, that might help instead of choosing something that you hope might sell. Just a thought - maybe it's not worth the effort?

I really hope you can find a way to do it though. It's very rewarding. I don't think I could ever make a living doing it but it sounds like that's not your plan either.

Good luck - I wish I could help more.

Dave

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Speaking of harbor freight. Their router bits are carbide and great for smaller jobs. I broke one doing a truss rod. Seriously, It is not fun to have half a bit come flying out and til itself to a shirt. I usually wear at least two in the shop. I was routing purpleheart of the harder than normal variety, so I wasnt too suprised, i also burnt the hell out of my bosch bit to finish the route. So dont hog out too much with those.

Sounds like you are in the UK and I don't know if it works the same there, but here some Universities and Colleges have woodshops. And they offer courses where you can work on a project of your own, often using great tools. You could even offer to teach a simple guitar construction course down the road after you have made a few. Then you'd just need a few basics for home. A router, a good sander and a drill press (pillar drill to you?) would do a lot at home.

Unfortunately I live out in the country and my only transport is my motorbike (which makes it a bit hard to carry bits of wood around). So it'll be hard to get to any woodworking shops.

I think I might be able to beg, borrow and steal some of the tools, but it's the massive amount of little bits and pieces - fret files, oil stone etc etc. I don't want to buy cheap tools as in my experience they normally do more harm than good, especially if I'm going to make a couple.

Don't worry guys I'll think of something. :D

Ok...

Tools. Don't buy all the bits you need now. Invest in the basic tools as and when you need them, and be sure you *really do need them* before you blow any cash. A trip to a local DIY store can get you a cheep and cheerful router for under £30, which is one of the essentials for solidbody construction. You can also get by with a jigsaw for rough cutting. With that, a jackplane a drill and a decent tennon saw you should be able to accomplish most basic jobs. Oh, and lots of clamps.... you can never have too many :D

Selling. The simple truth is, dont expect your first few instruments to be saleable. If you're very lucky, or have good previous experience in advanced woodworking they may be great, but it is more realistic to expect a slightly homely instrument which plays OK, sounds good, and was an enjoyable project. People buying guitars have very high standards where aesthetics are concerned, and you will have a tough time meeting these requirements until you have some experience under your belt, especially if you're attempting setneck, gloss finished instruments with carved tops. A more basic flattop, with a simple oiled finish but rock solid construction is more likely to be a breadwinner.

The exception here is friends - you can probably find people who are really interested and impressed by your guitars, and willing to overlook the inevitable mistakes. The only problem is most of my musically inclined friends are perpetually broke... so my dreams of being bankrolled by them are just that.... B)

If you ever have read Melyvn Hiscock's book, he talks about how you shouldn't try to make a living doing this hobby, and so far he has been correct.. Since my bank account goes steadily down while I'm still learning how to build a great guitar. lol.. This isn't a cheap hobby, or has anyone told you that yet? :D But if your serious about building guitars anyway.. I agree with Setch, just buy the tools you'll need that you know you can't borrow or have no access too... Just slows down your progress some, since you'll have to wait till money allows.. but look at it this way, you'll always have these tools.. and most are a one time buy. Good Luck

hey Hotrod,

All the tools I use for making guitars is a cheap $20 router, a cheap jigsaw, a radius sanding block/miter box (if you buy your fretboards slotted and radiused you don't need those anyway) a roller, a fret crowning file and lots of sanding paper. Total costs around $100......

hey Hotrod,

All the tools I use for making guitars is a cheap $20 router, a cheap jigsaw, a radius sanding block/miter box (if you buy your fretboards slotted and radiused you don't need those anyway) a roller, a fret crowning file and lots of sanding paper. Total costs around $100......

What about the router bits, drill and bits, inlay tools, arbor press with fret pressing cauls(if not that then fretting hammer), fret files, fret cutter, etc. etc.

No offense but you must be be just buying the neck and only building the body. But I still think you'll end up buying more than 100 dollars worth of tools if you plan on building the whole thing from scratch. Anyone else spend less than 100 dollars on tools so far? If so please fill me in on how.. lol.. because I simply find the more I get into guitar building the more tools I need to do a good job. I'm not slamming anyone just trying to be realistic, since when I was starting out someone on this forum told me it didn't cost must at all and I don't want anyone to be in for a big suprise like I was. I don't regret buying alot of tools, just that I had no idea what I was in for... Just my opinion.. again no offense to anyone...

This isn't a cheap hobby, or has anyone told you that yet

No I've been told that it will empty a bank account faster than a woman and I was originally hoping to buy most of the tools I need. Unfortunately my student loan bill came through, my bike needed sorting in the shop last week, all the bills came through at once and I can't sit down because the bank has been shafting me for the last two weeks. :D

I just didn't want to start the project and have it eat all the money that I haven't really got at the minute. However, sacrifices must be made in the name of building a guitar.

I'll even go around car boot sales to look for some cheap tools. Buy the way all you English guys, there's a tool auction this month in Coalville Nr Loughborough at a pub. Can't remember the date, but it's soon.

Don't worry guys, project ToneMonkey will soon be on the road, after all you don't need to eat every day.

right, I forgot my drillpress... a cheap piece of junk and my $5 hammer.

Routerbits? They came with my router.

No offense but you must be be just buying the neck and only building the body

no offense taken, but maybe you should do some research before you put out such a bold statement... :D

Other than that, Mr. Fisher made two nice guitars without many tools. Check out the tutorials making a strat/LP the hard way.

well guitarfrenzy...tsl doesnt like to brag so i will brag for him.he builds his guitars from scratch...neck,body,everything.and that strat in his avatar is a beautiful example.there are ways to do it with less tools.i built my v with a dremel,a jigsaw,and lots of sandpaper.that guy that did the lp HAND sawed his neck.i am in the process of building a neck and i so far have used a fret saw,a bandsaw($100),and i am using coens sandpaper method to shape the back.

one thing you do need is alot of clamps...i buy spool clamps in sets of six.i have 12 of them,three bar clamps,and 2 wooden bar clamps.

Sorry to drag up an old topic guys, but there has been progress. :D

Last night I went to see the Earl and Countess of the area. They're opening an art gallery and I was invited, which is odd because I know exactly sod all about art. Anyway, he wants some help to build a hovercraft that he can boot around his more than ample grounds (his drive is about 1.5 miles long).

I'm trading knowledge for tools, which is good because I have more knowledge than tools (and he has more tools than knowledge).

Been wood hunting already, so I'll keep you informed as to whether I can get this project off the ground.

By the way, I also met a cabinet maker at the opening and he bends wood by dehumidifying it while it's being compressed. When it comes out of the press you can wet the wood a little and it's easy to bend. Once dry it's solid. Very, very intelligent man, you should have seen some of the chairs he made.

Based on Gibson Les Paul Jr, but not an exact copy. Quilted maple, slightly carved top, cheap wood for rest of the body. Laminate neck (Maple?) with 2 stained blue pin stripes running the length (thin laminate stained before glueing). Finger board to match the neck.

Not a through neck, but not far off (i'll have to convert the drawings from cad and post them up). The neck travels way into the body, past the bridge.

2 Humbuckers (depending on funds) with push/pull tone pots, volume and a balance.

Funky inlays (they're a secret) and gold hardware. Quilted maple top to be like a PRS, you know what I mean.

Should look nice, I'll convert the drawings soon and you can all have a look. :D

Double, most definately double. B)

I'm off home for the weekend now, gonna get drunk, watch the Rugby World Cup and dream of guitars. (I'm from Rugby in England by the way- the place that invented the game-so I'm a bit of a mad fan, especially as we're gonna win the World Cup)

:D