My New Old Guitar Build

Hi TheIRS, the dowels are not the re to "fill" the body.

I added them for a different purpose.

At first I had the three body parts glued together with epoxy, but then I reconsidered.

I managed to split the three pieces clean, then squared them using a straight blade and used PVA glue to glue them back together - decided to do it the traditional way after all.

Then I added the dowels as an extra-insurance against the infamous "creep" of the PVA glues, but if you are sure that your PVA does not "creep", they really are not necessary.

I wasn't so sure about my PVA glue, so I used them - they can only help and won't do any harm anyway.

Guess I would have been perfectly OK without them because the glue turned out to be really great and polymerized to a very rigid glass-like structure.

The dowels hold together more than great. I believe that you can use them to repair whatever problem you have and be sure that they will not fall apart.

Just don't forcefully hammer them in if they ar enot moving. Use the proper size of dowel - one that fits tightly but without the need of brute force.

Also, make sure they are well soaked in good PVA glue prior to joining.

Experiment with different stuff on scrap wood and judge what works best for you - this is what I do a lot lately.

Saves me lots of flaming on this forum too. :D

Edited by DrummerDude

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dowels hold together more than great. I believe that you can use them to repair whatever problem you have and be sure that they will not fall apart.

Just don't forcefully hammer them in if they ar enot moving. Use the proper size of dowel - one that fits tightly but without the need of brute force.

Also, make sure they are well soaked in good PVA glue prior to joining.

Experiment with different stuff on scrap wood and judge what works best for you - this is what I do a lot lately.

Saves me lots of flaming on this forum too. :D

No. This is not good advice. This is bad advice, from someone who willingly admits he does not know what he is doing.

The best advice is NOT to get yourself into the situation he did. This happened because he dove into the project without reading and without bothering to learn how to use the tools properly. Again, he has been very public and upfront about all of this.

If he had spent just a little time reading this forum, he would have known that one does not generally use a jigsaw to cut the final body shape (with thick wood). Its best use is for rough cutting only, leaving a margin of at least 5 mm --I leave closer to 10-- to accommodate the inevitable angling of the blade. You then use your template--yes, you're supposed to take the time to make a template--and a router with a bearing bit to clean up the shape.

Or actually, the best thing to do is what I plan to do from now on--I found someone with a bandsaw who'll let me use that for my rough cuts. Using a jigsaw on 50 mm wood is exhausting, too much wear on the saw and probably dangerous. Eventually I'll get my own bandsaw.

I can't fault him for his enthusiasm --I did some pretty dopey things too when I started building. But he stubbornly refuses to learn. This isn't meant as a flame. He's very open about this.

Now, accidents do happen. And when I have a bobble --router slipped, tearout, etc. --I take the time either to locate the piece of wood from the tearout, or shape a new piece from the same wood. It is possible and fairly easy to get an exact fit. I glue that in using ordinary wood glue, then clean up it up by sanding. The result is a pretty near invisible repair.

I can't fault him for his enthusiasm --I did some pretty dopey things too when I started building. But he stubbornly refuses to learn. This isn't meant as a flame. He's very open about this.

I think we all did some thing on our first builds that we would now call stupid mistakes, all about the learning progress i guess.

My first build was a set neck telecaster, i made it by gathering dimensions from my own guitars..I really wish i had PG as a resource then, would of been a great guitar!

I *think* that I may be able to get a piece of awesome poplar burl.

If I can get it indeed, I will use it for the top of the guitar for sure.

It's around 5 millimeters thick and looks awesome (never knew that poplar could be that flashy and cool).

I made a sketch or a visual plan that I will try to follow.

I have in mind figurative poplar burl top in clear gloss laquer, black "modern" Strat-style hardtail bridge, no neck pickup, no electronics (just an optional switch for the 6 possible positions of the humbucker).

The back, sides and bevels of the guitar will be gloss black.

Here's the sketch:

ajacksonjs30rrdmbfo2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my top wood.

It is not a thick piece of poplar burl but a thin but WONDERFUL birdseye maple veneer.

It's just freaking awesome - never seen such a beautiful birdseye before. It has a ton of quilt in it too.

I'm just loving it and I hope that I will not screw up this beautiful piece of poetry in the actual veneering process. Don't have a vacuum press, so I will have to do it the dreaded, tricky and dangerous way - using a lot of vices.

Any tips or tricks on the bookmatching are welcome.

Here are some photos of the birdseye:

s5002644hn5.jpg

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/268/s5002652oz3.jpg

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2765/s5002642zy3.jpg

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8800/s5002647bb2.jpg

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/843/s5002650rr0.jpg

Edited by DrummerDude

I will have to do it the dreaded, tricky and dangerous way - using a lot of vices.

Any tips or tricks on the bookmatching are welcome.

learn how to do it properly ;ie tutorials (theres one in the 'tutorial' section believe it or not) or get someone to do it for you (that your not going to badmouth and jip'em after you screw up something they've done for you)

and you might want to round those sharp edges off your veneer ; safety first!! :D

Hi Drummer Dude, OK you got us all good, I don't believe you exist and I am expunging you from the matrix. I think you are the imaginative figment of two 14 year olds boys who are sitting over the computer giggling their heads off. Your creators made a character that would goad the project guitar forum members into a pack mentality, lining up to have a shot at the fictitious character's guitar building efforts. They are probably rolling around on the floor at how exasperated everyone got trying to guide this invention of the imagination through the intricacies of filling the hole that he made in a bit of wood. We are Mo and your creators are Bart Simpson. Nonetheless, it was fun. :D

Edited by Muzz