New Kl Explorer Build. Kill Em All!

this is my latest. a kl explorer. i think its about time, see as i have built like 5 guitars with a kl headstock, without any of them being an explorer. so here it goes.

specs:

body: solid santos mahogany

neck african mahogany/walnut/ african mahogany lam neck with figured maple headpiece

22 fret 25" bubinga fretboard

jumbo frets( thanks zyonsdream!)

i should have the neck built by tonight, maybe not the carve completley done, due to a broken random orbital sander. dang you craftsman.

wood should be here next week. got a good deal. 5' by 9 1/2" wide by 2" thick, for 14 bucks. i love ebay. well, for the most part. my camera just died, so i will get pics up in a while of the bubinga fretboard, and the process of the neck. wooo!

headstock pics

DCAM0081-1.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...ie/DCAM0080.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i knew things were going to well to be true. i just ruined all my progress. rounding the back of the neck, filed into the truss rod channel. dang. waited 2 weeks for the fretboard, ruin all in a few hours. i will try to see if i can get the fretboard off, and maybe salvage it. this sucks. again. dang.

well, i knew things were going to well to be true. i just ruined all my progress. rounding the back of the neck, filed into the truss rod channel. dang. waited 2 weeks for the fretboard, ruin all in a few hours. i will try to see if i can get the fretboard off, and maybe salvage it. this sucks. again. dang.

oh man, that sucks :D

hope you can figure something out with the fretboard, though I've never seen a fretboard come off of a neck without bending a lot from the steam, unless you have a different way you do it.

heres a few tips

your gonna have to make a new neck..bummer

to get the fretboard off use projects guitar removing a fretboard jazz, it worked perfectly fine even for removing a fretboard from a 30 year old classical acoustic

but once you got that done this is how i shape my necks

measure the thickness under the first fret and then under the say 12th, since your truss rod usually wont go much further but the thickness of the neck should be a taper from thinner at nut end to thicker, which can be achieved on a bandsaw. after that file the bottom corners, and the file the 2 corners that makes then the 4 corners that those 2 corners made and so on, you should start getting it pretty rounded when you get to the middle of your neck, then at that point its not a matter of getting thickness because thats already been determined by how you tapered your block on the saw. you really shouldnt file the thickness of your neck..thats trickey buisness as i guess you found out :D

but you wont be doing that again!!

OH btw.

regarding the previous post, the fretboard i removed did not bend from the steam although i did put the iron ontop of the frets, i did drench the fretboard in hot steam for a good....30 mins? before jamming the razor in there and tapping it through the glue joint

and worst comes to worst you lost 35 bucks getting a new fretboard..its all a learning process

hope that helps! :D

i already got it off. cut as much off as i could with bandsaw, and then did the rest with a thin knife. came off well, but is now a little warped. i guess i will now go with a all walnut neck, i dont have anything else.

here it is. now i will have to glue it onto the new neck already tapered. i hate doing it like that, its a hassle. but o welll, my fault.

DCAM0084-1.jpg

Edited by killemall8

poor headstock. :D

DCAM0087.jpg

gluing up another neck as we speak. already had a blank scarfed an ready to go, right now i am gluing the figured maple part on the top. tomarrow will glue the fretboard and do the neck carve. this walnut can look as black as wenge when stained even with clear. i think i will go with a satin finish on the whole guitar. the walnut almost has green highlights in it, as well as purple. so i want to show those off. what do you think?

Ummm....I hope that's not an endgrain join....did you cut enough of the headstock off to scarf it?

It might also be too late to suggest that routing out the entire trussrod channel would have been an option if you cut an popped in a fillet :-\

where are you seeing end grain? no end grain.

sorry for so many posts so close together with pics. i just post as i build.

neck mostly carved. yes it is flatsawn. it will be fine. i cant carve anymore until i get the body going and decide exaclty where i am going to have the neck join the body. probably the 17th or 18th fret.

DCAM0090-1.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k.../DCAM0091-1.jpg

got the wood today, suprisingly fast. but i have no idea how the fed ex guy got it over the fence, i could barly cary it to the door. it 67lbs per board foot, and it is 7.92 board feet. that is one heavey board. it is only a 5 footer, but it is 9 1/2" wide. it is so heavy, i was thinking of doing a chambered body with a spalted maple top, but there is only 1 set that i have found that will be big enough for an explorer. what do you think? maple? no maple? i dont mind it being heavy, but if i sell it, that will be a down side.

decided to sand the wood a little bit. it was rough sawn on both sides, not planed at all. has saw marks on every part of it.

here it is before rough sawn:

DCAM0093.jpg

and here it is belt sanded to 100 grit.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k.../DCAM0094-1.jpg

i looks almost redish pink in real life. it is over 2 inches thick, so i will have to take it to school to plane it. this is no doubt the hardest wood i have ever dealed with. ridiculous. but o well, if i chamber it, it shoul go great.

can i ask why no one ever says anything on my builds? i never get any comments at all. is it really that bad?

Just like my thread man.. nobody comments on it or anything :D

btw, I like that wood, what is it?

oh nvm :D I read that it is mahogany B)

Edited by ngaa

boo hoo - no one comments on mine either :DB):DB)

If people are not responding it probably means what you do doesnt interest them - personally that doesnt bother me as i dont build guitars to impress people from a forum... i build them to impress people that might want to play them!!

Just the way the forum works - just tell someone you are going to burn it and you will get loads of replies :D

yeah but I would like to get some feedback on how I'm doing since it's only my second one..

yeah but nobodys paying us to feedback are they. It dont matter if its your 2nd or 122nd - people will only comment if there is actually something to comment on.

Ask specific questions if you want answers!!

i suppose we should point out there is another way to get endless feedback of the forum kind (rather than endless musical feedback - see the ever growing sustainer thread for that)

Do everything badly!!!

As soon as you do something someone disagrees with they will point it out so you could see a lack of responses as a positive thing

Like Wez said, the lack of comments is an indicator than nobody thinks you're messing it up :D

I rarely post anymore unless I see something which really makes me go 'oooh!' or I have an answer to a specific question. Doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the thread or that there's anything wrong with it.

Killemall and Wez - I like your projects :D