I've Started...

gosh

but will I finish?

I finally got all the parts for my guitar build. so I started building today.

I'd like to thank some of the guys already on here for the help so far and in order to encourage myself to get on with this project and not dally with it, I started a Blog to chart the progress. This is more a means of making sure I get on with it than anything else but will also keep a valuable record of it for me in the future should i make more.

I worked all morning on this and then all afternoon on the blog.

http://59gibsonlespaul.blogspot.com/

Remember, it's my first effort, so be gentle with me. I WILL be hurt easy.

I'm certain I will make mistakes and I'm certain some will be pointed out to me before I even know I made them myself. But one thing to remember is that I'm not building this to fool anybody. This guitar will never be for sale. I don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to copy a 59 Les Paul to finite detail. I'm building a guitar "in the style of", So please, let's not have any "Ah, you haven't got the right bumblebee capacitors there matey".

Other than that, I'd love to hear your thoughts, tips, advice, ideas for my project.

Thank you

Paul

Edited by gosh

Just one thing, and others more knowledgeable than myself may correct me, but those necks you've bought don't seem like genuine Gibson necks, I mean for a start they're far too light to be mahogany, and maple LP necks aren't exactly common. As you're looking for a '59 replica, that's going to be a big difference right there.

Just one thing, and others more knowledgeable than myself may correct me, but those necks you've bought don't seem like genuine Gibson necks, I mean for a start they're far too light to be mahogany, and maple LP necks aren't exactly common. As you're looking for a '59 replica, that's going to be a big difference right there.

I know what you are saying.

The necks were bought on faith and I was assured they were genuine NOS necks. All I can say is that If i was fooled and they are not genuine, I can live with it because I don't have the tools yet to build my own just yet. However, they are stamped and they do look like an exact match for necks I've seen on the Gibson plant tour. The truss rod is definitely right and build method is also the same. Right down to the way they drill two holes to hold them in the jig. BUT, I am happy even if it simply saved me having to make a neck for my first build. It took me over 6 months of looking to get those two necks. There are a lot that don't come close to being genuine. The first neck I bought came from a guy who had it in his loft since 1980.

The colour isn't as light as it looks in the pictures but they are definitely lighter than the body. I'll try to rectify this when it comes to the finishing work after it is installed to match it up. I might even lighten the neck further in the playing area. I know the neck isn't from 1959 and like i say, I'm not trying to con anybody. Just build something that plays nice and looks great. I'm not trying to fool a Gibson valuer. I haven't even ordered the paint and finish coats yet. I don't know what to get. Still looking in to it.

Thanks for taking time out to look it over. If anyone has ideas about colour matching the lighter neck with the slightly darker body, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again mate

Looks great, dude. The blog looks professional!

I'm curious as to what those necks are made out of. I agree that they look lighter than any mahogany I've seen (though I've only used about three or four different pieces.) But even in the pieces I've seen, there's a range of color, from a very light brown to a brownish-pink. But the pores of mahogany are pretty distinctive I think, and I don't see them in the close-up of the one neck.

Not to put a damper on it... but you may want to make sure the necks are made from acceptable wood before you invest your time and energy (and emotion!) in building it. It would be heartbreaking to have the necks warp beyond repair after you finish an otherwise beautiful guitar. :D

I'm curious as to what those necks are made out of. I agree that they look lighter than any mahogany I've seen (though I've only used about three or four different pieces.) But even in the pieces I've seen, there's a range of color, from a very light brown to a brownish-pink. But the pores of mahogany are pretty distinctive I think, and I don't see them in the close-up of the one neck.

Not to put a damper on it... but you may want to make sure the necks are made from acceptable wood before you invest your time and energy (and emotion!) in building it. It would be heartbreaking to have the necks warp beyond repair after you finish an otherwise beautiful guitar. :D

Tell you what, we have a luthier near to where I work. I'll take them both in with me and ask him to verify the wood for me. I'm no expert on these things but he will know.

Tell you what, we have a luthier near to where I work. I'll take them both in with me and ask him to verify the wood for me. I'm no expert on these things but he will know.

I think I've seen those necks for sale in the bay. The subject has been discussed over at the LP Forum. These are 3-piece maple necks. Gibson used necks like these on LPs from sometime 1976 to about 1982. They could well be legit NOS rough Gibson necks from that period or replacement necks made for Gibson at the time.

You probably know this already, but the 59 LP used one-piece mahogany necks and the tenon was much longer at the time. That said, these are still going to be perfectly adequate necks for a good LP build. Just expect a relatively snappier/brighter sound out of it.

Another comment/opinion on your build: I would not put Gibson on the headstock. I know you do not intend to fool anyone, but it's still not correct. I don't have anything against building copies, lookalikes, inspired-by, etc. (I built one myself), but try at least to add some original/personal touch to it and you'll feel proud you did. I know for sure that after all the work involved in buillding my PRS-heavily-inspired baby, there's no way I'm putting on the headstock anyone's name but MINE !!! (both to make ME proud and not to embarrass uncle Paul Reed.... :D )

Best of lucks with your build !!!

Hey, thanks for the comments buddy. I appreciate your note about the headstock. That's worth thinking about.

My day job is Graphic Design, so maybe I can come up with something groovy for the head logo instead. I'll certainly think about it.

And yes, you are right about the necks. I just got back from talking to a guy who makes and repairs instruments near where I work. He told me both necks are indeed Maple and I didn't even notice the "ears" on the head were extra bits stuck on. But they are 3 pieces. There is also a Rosewood strip covering the truss rod.

Although he obviously couldn't say for sure they are genuine, his advice was that because of the way they have been manufactured, it appears to look like a professional job and something that was created en mass. He reckons they will be fine and the wood is top quality. The general opinion seems to be they are Gibson necks. As both sellers, individually assured me they were.

Thanks again all.

i think they look bloody awfull - but my sprayer recently resprayed one solid black because someone had brought the ZW epiphone specifically because he wanted a Les Paul with a maple neck.

my point, It may no longer be authentically 59 specs but it will still work well with a maple neck . . . and there are even a few people who prefer them that way!!!

Hey, thanks for the comments buddy. I appreciate your note about the headstock. That's worth thinking about.

My day job is Graphic Design, so maybe I can come up with something groovy for the head logo instead. I'll certainly think about it.

It's kind of frowned upon here, using a company's logo for your own build.

On the other hand, since you already bought the headplate, there are plenty of ways of making it your own --you could alter one or more letters (looks like MOP inlay, shouldn't be too hard to match that).

Or add in something that will make it perfectly obvious and at first glance that it's a fake (or hommage, as you prefer!)

It's kind of frowned upon here, using a company's logo for your own build.

On the other hand, since you already bought the headplate, there are plenty of ways of making it your own --you could alter one or more letters (looks like MOP inlay, shouldn't be too hard to match that).

Or add in something that will make it perfectly obvious and at first glance that it's a fake (or hommage, as you prefer!)

Now you have my creative juices flowing...what about...

A Gibson - as the top logo, exactly as is but with the letter 'A' added

By Paul - where it would normally say 'Les Paul' in the same scripty lettering.

Waddaya think?

Waddaya think?

Yeah, that's the idea... I remember seeing a photo of someone's Strat...he used the Fender logo, but drew on "Not a " in front of that...it looked pretty cool. Also do a search for the Jellycaster, if the photos are still up...

Waddaya think?

Yeah, that's the idea... I remember seeing a photo of someone's Strat...he used the Fender logo, but drew on "Not a " in front of that...it looked pretty cool. Also do a search for the Jellycaster, if the photos are still up...

LOL. That's very cool. Thanks for the heads up mate

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/logo.htm

Which refreshed my memories of these:

Splattercasterbody3.JPG

I'd love to have one of those.

Thanks.

a wee bit off topic but back to the wylde guitar.....it would look really cool to spray over the initial design with an opaque black-it would be a two-tone bullseye-taking away the normal tacky design and dressing it up for a fancy party. more specificaly-the difference from regular black would be slight and only really noticed by people like us.....on with the initial topic! :D