Pre-cut Sg Body

So, I have an SG body that's in great shape and is ready to start carving, but the previous owner cut the holes for the bridge and bridge stop and they look very poorly done. What would you guys recommend I do to "start over" with those holes?

Can I fill them with wood filler and still be able to stain the body without being able to see those fills?

Is wood filler even an option?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Devin Columbus

i will tell yo right now, everyone on this board will attack you for even mentioning wood filler. so, no. it isnt an option.

i am assuming that they are tom bridge style holes, so this would be the best idea. get an appropriate sized dowl, and epoxy it in the holes then sand smooth.

i will tell yo right now, everyone on this board will attack you for even mentioning wood filler.

Nobody will attack you for mentioning wood filler - they may however point out thats its unsuitable for this job :D

Now if you actually use wood filler after its been pointed out that its a bad idea ... then there may be a flame or two :D

So, I have an SG body that's in great shape and is ready to start carving, but the previous owner cut the holes for the bridge and bridge stop and they look very poorly done. What would you guys recommend I do to "start over" with those holes?

Can I fill them with wood filler and still be able to stain the body without being able to see those fills?

Is wood filler even an option?

Thank you in advance!

Take a look at these restorations for an example of how/where wood filler is used, and where plugs or new wood is used.