First Build Coming! -mosrite Ventures-esque.

Oooooh BUSTED! LOL. Anyway, looks great, I love the look of that neck, very nice stuff. How did you end up shaping it? I found rough shaping the neck to be one of the funnest parts of building the neck and a super sharp spokeshave made it quick as could be. I still need to pick myself up a nice rasp, cheapo hardware store one worked alright, but takes more cleanup than I'd imagine a nice one would. What are your plans for the headstock, any veneers or inlays or anything special? Nice work and keep the photos rolling in and if you just happen to accidentally take a couple pics of Perry's secret recipes and designs, I wouldn't be opposed to finding them in my inbox, jk, haha. J

Edited by jmrentis

• 2 weeks later...

done most of the routing and stuff. neck is glued in. wire brushed the body today, then grain filled, then started sanding back, will get it done tomorrow and hopefully start spraying. got about 6 gigs coming up in the next few weeks and cant wait to play this thing out.

i think im going to leave the body a little bit patchy, if you know what i mean. i kinda like the state of the top of the top at the moment, but the carve still needs a bunch of sanding.

guitar11.jpg

hey thanks, its indian rosewood and maple. the string for the kite is just white plastic binding.

since putting the black grain filler on i'm a little concerned that the body doesn't go quite as well with the headstock colours. perhaps a slight amber tint in the clear coat to the body might help? any suggestions?

HURRAAAHHHH!!! as of about an hour ago the guitar is finished!!! i honestly wasnt expecting it to play/sound quite so good and i had high expectations. i'm completely elated. i have a folder full of some pictures that can be found here: http://members.iinet.net.au/~vindago/guitar/

here is just a stock front on shot-

1.JPG

any questions or comments most appreciated!

cheers,

jon. :D

Build looks great, not so sure on the finish. I think a nice vintage sunburst ala fender would fit this guitar perfectly. The fingerboard looks so finished and clean with the inlay but the body looks so raw in contrast and IMHO doesn't work as well as it could.

But thats just my opinion, beautiful guitar you've got there. :D

I like the grain/finish of the body.

I like the headstock.

Not a big fan of the fretboard, but it's well-done at least.

But I just don't like all three together...I just can't figure out what to look at, these elements are fighting with each tother, not working together. That pickguard isn't helping either, since like Daniel says, you've already got a lot of different textures there.

That's just my preference, of course. The build itself looks great, and I've always loved that Mosrite shape.

i can certainly agree that its not the most logical of combinations. it is all over the place but i love it. if i had an idea for it i kinda just went with it and didn't question it too much, my main prerequisite being it looked different and stood out. i have no doubt that future builds will be better thought out and streamline but when it comes to it, i couldn't be happier with it. i really do appreciate the comments anyway.

As long as you like it, that's what matters. And, I'm with you on the design of it. I think the colors and textures really work with the shape. And I really like the black pickguard on there as well. The whole thing works for me. In fact I like it a lot more than I thought I would thanks to the finish and pickguard. I would definitely own a guitar that looked like that!