Essential Reading

Before everyone jumps on you for asking such a question, get Hiscock's book. It's quite the wealth of information, and I think it's awesome that he's actually a forum member too :D

My girlfriend got me Koch's book for Christmas, stating that since she can't dissuade me, she's got no choice to support my habit. The book was wrapped together with an assorted book of sandpaper. Gotta love her :D

I read through a lot of Koch's book already, and although he doesn't go into all that much detail into chambered building, most of the steps of hollowbody and semi building apply as well.

Or you could just sit down for a day and print out the entire forum archives! But those are the two I'd get if I needed something to read.

Bob Flexner: Understanding Wood Finishing.

Buy It because I said so, No Crapshoot.

'Nuff said.

Just got this one for Xmas and I have to second Drak's recommendation. Great book, and very thorough.

I ordered Hisock's book with a Boarders gift card I got for Christmas, which they'll mail to my house for free. I just ordered Flexner's book and one on doing inlay from Amazon. I signed up for their credit card (which I will not use at all - it's going in a drawer) to get $30.00 off the total. It qualified for free shipping as well. All said, I'm getting three guitar making books for under $5.50, brand new, delivered to my house. :D

Gotta love it!

FWIW, I really enjoyed the Stewart MacDonald "Fret Work Step By Step" book - it turned out to be really helpful, in the sort of way that I didn't realize I needed it until after I picked it up on a whim. I imagine the video version is probably even more helpful, but I can't comment on that as I've yet to see it.

• 2 months later...

Add my plug for Martin Koch's book. I got the bundled book, plans, and cd from stewmac.com. The book is great and I really, really appreciated the videos on the CD where he demonstrates the skills and process of building the guitar. Seeing how he achieves so much with just the basic tools is very instructional.