Wet Sanding Porous Wood

lowrider

Well I'm in the final stages of my first build and I'm looking for some advice. The body was'nt filled as well as it should have been for a glass smooth finish(the mahogany), that I'm ok with. I'd just like to know the best way to get wet sand residue and the polish out of the "pores". With minimal effort I removed some with a tooth brush, did'nt go too crazy since I still have some sanding to do. I guess compressed air might work ok too. Any tips to save a rookie some headaches?DSCN3341.jpg

Edited by lowrider

Naptha will get rid of it, just don't go hog wild on the thing. On your next guitar I would suggest to use a pour-fill.

Oh & btw naptha will not damage any guitar finish..

Edited by scab

Well I tried naptha and it didnt really work too well. Copmressed air isnt budging it either. It seems like the toothbrush and water work ok, but it'll take a while.

scab, you said not to go hog wild with naptha. How wet can I get it without a problem? Can I semi soak a rag and work around the pores?

I used Stewmacs color tone wb medium brown filler. I put 12 coats of sealer and 9 coats of lacquer on it. Did some level sanding about 1/2 way thru the sealer coats. All this by their recomendations, btw. Yes I did it all by myself. :D . I'm guessing you are asking these q's because you read my other post. Thankyou, and help away please.

Ok, I'm almost 100% positive its the No7 polish that is giving me the trouble in the pores. I took a pin to a couple and it came right out. I dont think I want to do every one though :D . If it were'nt for that I could just put some lacquer on and move on. I called the No7 makers and they tell car customers to use soft scrub to remove it if they have trouble getting it off. I dont know about that for this application. :D

Perhaps the No7 is coarse enough to "catch and clog" in the pores of the maple? This is purely a guess to be honest. I would think a simple wetting agent (naptha as suggested?) and slightly finer abrasive to upset the clogs might do the job.

This post is more to gauge my line of thinking once somebody experienced comes along. Don't observe the above. Really.

A few 'thinking out loud' thoughts...

If it were the finish itself clogging the pores (as if you had just wetsanded with water and it dried like that) you could just re-shoot a coat of finish and it would redissolve and go away (with a wet coat)

If it's polish that's in there, then it makes sense (I think) why wetting it with water wouldn't work, as most polishes are 'waxy' in nature and repel water, so using water would not put it back into solution, and wax can be 'clingy', or 'sticky' which is probably why the compressed air is not working.

If it were the dried finish itself clogging the pores, typically blowing it off with compressed air works, because the finish doesn't have any 'cling' factor to it, it's just dried poot and is not sticky.

So lets say it is polish itself in the pores (if you're pretty sure that's what it is)

...then it's like having little pellets of wax embedded (so to speak anyway)

You should look at the polish container, read the contents, maybe even call the manufacturer, you want to know what the main solvent in the polish is.

Everything has a solvent, something that will make it go back into solution, you need to know particularly what solvent will make your polish go back into solution, but will not affect the finish you used as well.

Then wiping it with whatever solvent is appropriate should redissolve it, then you should be able to hit it hard with compressed air and it should come out.

I think your main problem, or issue, is that if it is polish, then I'm guessing it has a 'sticky/waxy' nature to it, and that is what's making it tough to get out, because normally, if it were just finish, it would just blow out.

Concentrate on the polish and it's chemical makeup, whatever it may be, I think that's where you will find your answer.

That's my best guess. :D

I went on their website and found the msds data. It says on there that it is completely water soluble. That would lead me to believe that water would do the trick. I'm gonna see if wetting a small area for 5 minutes loosens it. Maybe a really strong suction/vacuum. I'm grasping now I know, but I've got a bad feeling I'm gonna be sanding until it's gone. I called them and a very nice but totally clueless lady took my # and said she will try and find out some more info and call me. Thanks for the ideas Drak. Maybe I should go wire up that pedal board I got at Christmas awhile.

Edited by lowrider

Be careful with the water, that does not sound like a really good idea.

Whatever your problem at the moment may be, you absolutely do not want to make it any worse than it is, the guitar is beautiful and you don't want to start lifting finish, that would give you a seriously bad hair day!

An answer will come, just have some patience and we'll / you'll figure it out.

You know how we are always talking about patience and guitar building and it's so hard to learn that lesson sometimes?

Welcome to the block, 'cuz you are <right there>. :D:D