Travel Guitar With Build In Gt2

Prostheta / Xanthus / Anderekel : I really appreciate your support. This site is a good place to learn a lot and to show our own ideas and results.

Prospheta : about the strap, I don´t know how to make a cow, do you ? Can you teach me ? :D

Xanthus : don´t worry about the heal joint, the mahogany is about 20mm thick, has a jacaranda strip and I´m using four screws with metal inserts. I think that is strong enough. About the pick ups, I´ll try to make a sample record in the future to show you. Regarding GOTM, I don´t know..., there are several guitars with better characteristics and details than mine.

Thanks again friends. :D

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't like headless guitars usually!

as to making cows..

http://www.biotopics.co.uk/edexcel/biotechnol/artins.html

hope it helps :D

I think making everything from scratch and it working AND it looking pretty damn cool is a fairly good characteristic in a guitar building competition.

I do think you should make a strap though that would be cool and set it off nicely a spin strap of somekind would be cool!

Here are more pics taken outside but with direct light :

TravelGuitar15.jpg

I feel like a child with a new toy... having all the Sunday to play. :D

Simply AMAZING !!!!

Muchísimas Felicitaciones, es un trabajo excepcional !!!

This is a serious contender for GOTM !!! Original, practical, incredibly well implemented, and a level of involvement hardly seen around: Next time don't be lazy and wind your own pickups ;-) !!!

My only criticism (if you could call it that) is that I would have opted for a solid color. Something like Gold, Copper, Candy Apple Red, somethink bold like that.

That said, the natural finish is impeccable too. What kind of lacquer did you use ??

:D

Simply AMAZING !!!!

Muchísimas Felicitaciones, es un trabajo excepcional !!!

This is a serious contender for GOTM !!! Original, practical, incredibly well implemented, and a level of involvement hardly seen around: Next time don't be lazy and wind your own pickups ;-) !!!

My only criticism (if you could call it that) is that I would have opted for a solid color. Something like Gold, Copper, Candy Apple Red, somethink bold like that.

That said, the natural finish is impeccable too. What kind of lacquer did you use ??

:D

Thank you brother, I really appreciate your comments. About the pickups, I´m thinking about this possibility for a future build, maybe the second or third one. :D

Regarding the color, I choose the natural finish because I´m very conservative but maybe I have to have more courage next time... B) The finished I used was a strong floor satin lacker (Cetol brand). It was very easy to apply and is very resistant.

Regarding the color, I choose the natural finish because I´m very conservative but maybe I have to have more courage next time... :D The finished I used was a strong floor satin lacker (Cetol brand). It was very easy to apply and is very resistant.

...and probably reflows nicely. Sorry, maybe this info is somewhere else in the thread, but how did you apllied it ?? Spray ??

I used 50% thinned Plastic Coating as a rub-on finish on my first build. Applied unthinned It's supposed to be that kind of strong durable finish. There's even a version of the product specially formulated for flooring. However I think I'm going to refinish her at some point. The current finish is not standing well the normal use.

I was looking for alternatives, but I think I'll go the full nitro lacker treatment after all. Maybe just skip the pore filling and finish it satin instead of glossy.

Regarding the color, I choose the natural finish because I´m very conservative but maybe I have to have more courage next time... :D The finished I used was a strong floor satin lacker (Cetol brand). It was very easy to apply and is very resistant.

...and probably reflows nicely. Sorry, maybe this info is somewhere else in the thread, but how did you apllied it ?? Spray ??

I used 50% thinned Plastic Coating as a rub-on finish on my first build. Applied unthinned It's supposed to be that kind of strong durable finish. There's even a version of the product specially formulated for flooring. However I think I'm going to refinish her at some point. The current finish is not standing well the normal use.

I was looking for alternatives, but I think I'll go the full nitro lacker treatment after all. Maybe just skip the pore filling and finish it satin instead of glossy.

I remember reading somewhere that the flooring plastic coating isn't as suitable as the "general" plastic coating. Somebody else may have a better memory than me on this one.

I applied the first six coats using a paint brush, sanding between coats. Then I applied eight or ten (I can´t remember) coats using a little ball made of cloth fabric (I don´t know what´s the name...). Like the old fashioned furniture makers use to finish their work.

I remember reading somewhere that the flooring plastic coating isn't as suitable as the "general" plastic coating. Somebody else may have a better memory than me on this one.

I don´t know about other flooring products, but this one can be used to finish furniture. A friend uses it without problems since about five years. It´s not cheap, the price is the double than nitro... but it´s easy to use. I think the next build will use nitro, I have to test it and my father has spray equipment to use... :D

Looks like the case fits very nicely. The only thing I see is that I would suggest putting in an extra piece to help support the neck.

The guitar really fits very tight into the case when it´s close but your suggestion is good. I have material to make an aditional piece, so I´ll do it. Thanks for the idea Anderekel ! :D

Nice Strings! Super Slinkies are all I use. Great job with the guitar, case, and amp. Someday I want to have a cool headless guitar like this.

Thank you Dudz ! You are very young, like my oldest son ! Use this site to learn, practice with scrap wood, project every part of your future guitar and go for her ! If the first one is not the best, don´t worry, you can make another one, learning a lot in the process and having fun too ! :D

• 1 month later...

Hi, I´m new in the forum and was looking for some ideas to make a travel guitar and...

Wow, what a fantastic work you have done !!! :D

I was one hour reading all the thread, all made from scratch, it´s really amazing and inspiring !. Congrats man :D

Edited by Matti

Can you explain me with more details the way you put the strings and tune the guitar ?

There´s no problem :

First I put the tuner jaw in the place nearest the hardtail (remember that the tuners are placed under the hardtail). Then I pass the string through the jaw :

String01.jpg

Then the string pass through the hardtail directly to the nut and then to the headpiece.

String02.jpg

The headpiece has screws to hold the strings :

String03.jpg

String04.jpg

Now I have to use the tuner pegs to intonate the strings. That´s all !

• 11 months later...

I actually just saw a reference to this project at the http://www.diystompboxes.com forum, where I am also a member.

I must say, this is one cool project. I like the concept and the execution of it. And the handiwork is excellent in all regards, as well as the innovative built from scratch ideas. And I think the double layered case is also a brilliant idea.

Bravo! :D

Edited by Paul Marossy

I actually just saw a reference to this project at the http://www.diystompboxes.com forum, where I am also a member.

I must say, this is one cool project. I like the concept and the execution of it. And the handiwork is excellent in all regards, as well as the innovative built from scratch ideas. And I think the double layered case is also a brilliant idea.

Bravo! :D

Thank you Paul, I appreciate your words. :D

And appreciate your work also, two years ago I made a Firefly amp using your chassis layout. It´s a great amp !