Aussie Timbers Neck Thru Build

This one's just left the workbench last week.

Neck through construction with 25" scale neck

Chambered body .

Queensland walnut neck and wings with maple accenting

Tasmanian oak figured 16mm dual-carve top.

Bound 24 fret ebony fingerboard with paua dots.

Tune-o-matic and string through body ferrules.

Seymour Duncans JB bridge and Jazz neck.

and a subtle nitro burst to the top. :D

Queensland walnut back

done10.jpg

cheers, Stu

That is magnificent. Very well done.

I love the look of all the timber, I didn't realise tassie oak could have such a nice figure.

Do you have more pictures of the top carve?

Also, where do you get nitro in australia?

Thanks Stewey. Lots of pics to put up, including build progress shots of the chambering and the dual-carve top.

I used pre-cat nitro made by Wattyl, called stylwood 95% gloss.

Any dedicated paint shop other than Bunnings should carry it or something similar.

Keep the questions rolling and I'll do the same with the pics. :D

more pics

done4.jpg

cheers, Stu

Cheers Andronico. This was a fun one to build, it's a pity I'm a lefty though B)

Thanks also Muzz. What do ya think I'll get for the medal on ebay? :D

Here's a few of the dual-carve roughed in

other side of top

topside

toproughcarve1.jpg

cheers, Stu :D

hey stu,

whereabouts do you get your wood from?

Cheers, ash

G'day Ash. The Tasmanian oak 16mm top was from Gerard Gilet's. Guitarwoods.com.au

Other than that, I go alot to Mathews' timber down my way.

Headstock shots now.

headstock rear

done1.jpg

cheers, Stu

Wow, absolutely beautiful Stu. Not sure if I could actually sit down and play that, I'd be too tempted to mount it a big glass case as a design piece or something. That Queensland walnut is truly something else, looks like it has a couple figure styles going on like ribbon and curl figure and just finished real nice. Is there any other wood you'd liken it to? it almost reminds me of mahogany or something, very cool wood. Great choice on the top too, I always love those Aussie woods. One of my local wood shops deals with mainly exotics and not too long back they got a massive shipment of all Aussie woods, it was pretty dang cool, they still have a ton left and I plan on grabbing up what I can.

The carve is great as well, very neat. I also really liked how you did the headstock and headstock cap, it was a little different than any I've seen and very well done. Again, just an excellent build, plus it has my favorits pup combo. However, I might suggest one thing to you, let the owner know that he or she should invest in a explosive proof guitar safe as I really don't think I can keep myself from going after this one. J

Thanks for the comments fellas. Much appreciated. :D

The dual-carve top was a really fun carve to do. I'll probably incorporate a few more of these on the right projects in the near future too.

The neck angle on this one was somewhere around 2.5 degrees, after drawing it out and getting my tom height lowered down as low as I dare get it without recessing the bridge. It's worked out spot on to my drawings to the

point of it bottoming out on the tom bushings at an unplayably low action, with the posts raised just a tad for the optimum buzz free action and still keeping it fast and low.

This one is still up for grabs and no doubt will take someone's fancy .

More pics later, photobucket is down at present.

cheers lads, Stu