Is This Wood Usable For A Neck?

I got these amazing boards of 8/4 mahogany today and can get pieces out of them that are 48"x1.75"x2.25" for through neck guitars and basses. I'd like to do one solid piece neck (with a scarf joint) and two solid mahogany body wings as well. Would this wood work for the necks? I would cut the piece down the middle (width wise) to get two neck blanks, however I am unsure if the way the grain is oriented would be structurally sound enough to support the string tension. The first picture shows the board and how I will get two necks from it. Imagine the fingerboard being glued right on top of the neck blanks as it is oriented in the first picture. Hopefully I am explaining this well enough :D

Any help would be great :D

wood1.JPG

End grain 1

End grain 2

is that flatsawn? in the end grain picture 2 I`m not sure if what I see is the rings or saw marks.

if it is flatsawn I wouldn`t use if for necks. I only use quartersawn mahogany for necks.

you can try to find another narrower piece that is quartersawn, and use this for the wings.

some people use flatsawn mahogany for necks, but I don`t.

It is indeed.

And while mahogany - like most any wood - may well be more stable quartersawn, it's one of the most stable woods out there, and roughly equally strong in both directions, and IIRC tangential and radial shrinkage are pretty much identical. And do you really think most gibsons use quartered wood for the neck?

It is indeed.

And while mahogany - like most any wood - may well be more stable quartersawn, it's one of the most stable woods out there, and roughly equally strong in both directions, and IIRC tangential and radial shrinkage are pretty much identical. And do you really think most gibsons use quartered wood for the neck?

Haha, good point. I'm just going to do it. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be screwed in the end but it sounds like I will be perfectly fine. Thanks everyone!

It is indeed.

Haha, good point. I'm just going to do it. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be screwed in the end but it sounds like I will be perfectly fine. Thanks everyone!

look back on some of my projects. my explorer and my prs were flatsawn mahogany. you couldnt even bend those. you will be more than fine.

So yes, as Mattia points out strength is pretty close to equal (not a significant difference between either orientaion). With genuine Mahogany your shrinkage rates are pretty much equal (one of the most stable woods available in this sense. A wood like say Khaya*AKA African Mahogany would be closer to twice the shrinkage in the tangential vs the radial). Not to say CF reinforcement is not nifty, but the strength of Mahogany for a neck is not really in question (it has a long history as being very adequite).

Seems like this question pops up a lot. :D

Peace,

Rich