Short Scale 6 String Bass

orgmorg

This one is going to be along the lines of the old Gibson EB-6, which was a 6 string bass, with a 30.5" scale, and string spacing not much wider than a regular guitar. It would almost be considered a baritone guitar by today's standards, but it is tuned a full octave below a standard guitar. I am widening the spacing a little bit, but it will still be very narrow compared to a typical bass, 2 1/2" spread at the bridge, and nut width of 1 3/4"

The body is done. Back is one piece mahogany ( 30 year old Gibson dumpster score :D )

6str1.jpg

It is chambered, with a 4 piece mesquite bookmatch top.

6str3.jpg

The neck will be padauk, with an osage orange fingerboard. ( warning- sunglasses may be required )

6str2.jpg

The osage will darken considerably, so it won't be nearly so garish.

The bridge will be made of it as well.

I've wanted one of these ever since I had the chance to see an EB-6 ages ago. They are one of the rarest Gibsons, and command astronomical prices these days, especially the ones with the semihollow, es-335/EB-2 style body. Most were SG-shaped, like the EB-0/EB-3 Mine is a wierd mutation of the latter, only marginally resembling it, but using a piece of wood that in theory could have become one.

so is it like a 6 string piccollo; i dont know the definition of baritone;

what gauge are the strings?

Well, I don't really know the definition of a piccolo bass, myself. A baritone is generally anything tuned higher than a bass and lower than a guitar. This is tuned a full octave below a guitar, like a bass, with the high B and E strings as well.

String gauges on this one are 90-20, and scale length is 29 7/16"

Thanks for the compliments on the shape, I'm liking it as well. It's one I've been playing with for a while, and finally have a version that seems to work. I had originally intended to use it for the 8 string bass I am building, but I had a feeling it might be a bit neck heavy as a long scale, especially with 8 tuners. So I did a quick-n-dirty scrapwood mockup with a repositionable thru-neck, and sure enough, the head dove straight to the floor when I strapped it on. 30" scale and 6 tuners was what it needed to make it balance and feel comfortable. I started looking at strings, and found a set for the Musicman Silhouette 6 string bass, which is 29 5/8" scale. They cost only a tad more than a set of guitar strings, too. starting from the 3rd fret position on my 35" fret template gave me 29 7/16" so I figured I'd give that a try.

Edited by orgmorg

Well, I don't really know the definition of a piccolo bass, myself.

Well a standard bass is normally 2 octaves below that of a standard guitar. A piccolo bass is in between, it's only 1 octave below a standard guitar.

I'm digging this build as well by the way. Very nice clean work, i'll be looking forward to following the progress on this one for sure.

Bass is an octave below guitar, not two octaves. A 6-string piccolo bass is a 6-string bass tuned an octave up - BEADGC, basically a 7-string guitar tuning. I'm not sure what a 4-string piccolo bass would be tuned at, guessing ADGC.

yeah you're right, I could have swore I read somewhere otherwise but apparently not.

Ya, it's bright! almost too bright for me, even, and I like loud colors. It will darken up quite a bit, probably get at least as dark as the mahogany.

The saddles I will probably leave brass colored, unless I find a blackening/antiquing solution I like.

Controls will be real simple, probably just a volume knob. That's the way I usually like it.

The pickup has 5 conductors, though. I'll have to look up the specs and see if there is a wiring option for coil cut or phasing.