indoor finishing help

weezerboy

hey,

its november (as i'm sure you all know) and its cold and very wet in england...

i've just ordered a tele kit and wanted to know what is the best way to finish a guitar indoors, therefore no spraying and nothing too toxic smelling, quick drying and cheap would also be good.

Also, would i just work straight onto the body (as its sealed) or would i need to strip that and start again. I'm pretty much open to everything as long as theres not too much to go wrong.

thanks

dan

Shellac is very safe, can be brushed on, finishes easily, and has been used for instrument finishes for well over 100 years or better.

Use shellac flakes and make it yourself fresh. Shellac has a shelf-life, and will not dry properly once it's too old. I would never buy shellac in a can off the shelf.

Just an option...

ok...i was thinking that shellac was my only option so...

will this be enough to finish a guitar..also.how much meths would i need. which would be the easiest (and best looking way) to finish it, french polishing or brushing? (or anything else)

thanks dan

ps. am i right in thinking that you don't need to undercoat or top coat?

Are you talking about painting or just applying a clearcoat? I've had good success at applying polyurethane clearcoat with those little wedge shaped sponge applicators. A tele is perfect for this because its flat. Lay it on thick and the poly will settle out into a mirrorlike surface.

I would'nt paint anything in an unventilated room :D as almost everything will emit some kind of fumes while drying. I suppose a waterbased product would be OK, but even house paint latex smells pukey to me. Cold and dampness are the least favorable conditions for any finish work. Don't wanna rain on your parade bro, but I'd wait till it's warm and sunny or find a temp controlled paint booth. You may be waiting a long time for paint to dry...can't play a soft gooey guitar.

what i do is i bought a window fan place it in the window facing out and seal off the rest of the window, there like 15$ in US. and i wear a resperator, like 40$ at lowes or depot, again in the US. i have one of those oil filled radiant space heaters and have a small room that i keep around 75- 80 deg. its cold over hear and my laquer finishes are turning out nice. the room is also sealed off from the rest of the house with weather stripping around the door!

Sounds like a kool setup especially if its working for ya. Just be real careful with that fan...it 'can' throw a spark...and if there are fumes, very bad. Spraybooths use quite expensive 'sparkproof' exhaust fans for this very reason. Even light switches can have sparks. It's the airborne fumes that are the most flammable and easily ignited, just be careful dude. If this room is designed for 'drying' purposes and not spraying, it's probably fine.

Danish oil is good stuff, I used it a lot in my refinishing biz. BUT please note the caution regarding the used rags for application. These rags will self combust! They must be soaked in water and disposed of properly...never leave 'em lying around, a covered metal can is best until they can be disposed...I have witnessed oil rags combust, and partially burn a shop.

OK, safety rant is over...be safe guys. :D

well i do spray in the room but i covered the fan motor so no fumes can get in,i think. when it was nice outside like 70- 80 deg. and no wind i would spray out side then bring them in the room but now i have to spry inside. i guess i better get renters insurance hugh? im getting a fire extiguisher to keep in the room though just in case.

Same problem here, cold and rainy. I used Woodburst tinted tung oil from woodburst.com. It's perfectly safe to use inside, barely has a smell. I used the Bing Cherry color for a Gibson Cherry color and used some Clear for the neck.

Lacquer takes a while to fully cure and quit stinking, however Poly dries in a day and doesn't stink afterward. The Minwax Poly in a can would work if you can spray outside on a sunny afternoon and then bring it inside and put in an unused room.

Use good ventilation and don't breath them fumes!