Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Texas Red

Dudz

Hey guys. I'm geting a fender hot rod deluxe special edition texas red this weeknd for $650 brand new, great deal and it is already been put on layaway so no one else can steal it before me. I heard somewhere that since it is special/limited edition it will be worth over $1000 someday. Just wondering if this is true because this way I would be getting the added bonus of being able to sell it well if I ever find that don't want it anymore (unlikely but still possible).

• 2 weeks later...

go to http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/index.php and search hot rod delux problems or repairs in the amp forum, the amps are notorious for frying resistors on the circuit board thanks to overheating, and also the tubes are attached right to the board so if you bump one, you break a solder and bye bye amp.

Also, the older models were riddles with cold solder joints. For the money, you can do MUCH better.

I got the amp and love it. I wasn't asking about repair info or other amps I was asking if what I heard was true about the amp ever being worth more since it is special/limited edition. I don't care if it will be or not ecause it sounds best to me out of all amps I've played through to make my decision ( including marshall, mesa, line 6, vox, etc....) One main reason why the amp is notorious for defects is because the hrd sells more thany any other tube amp which means there a more pieces that can be defective. More likely to get defects when making/selling 500 units rather than 400 units. U get my point on that one. At $650 I spent less than I would have for any of the other amps I felt were in competion with this.

got the amp and love it. I wasn't asking about repair info or other amps I was asking if what I heard was true about the amp ever being worth more since it is special/limited edition.

Nope...complete hogwash in my opinion..."Special editions" are never special and never rare...

Those amps sound nice to me though...Glad you like it.

More likely to get defects when making/selling 500 units rather than 400 units. U get my point on that one.

well no, not really.

the number of defective units is more dependent on the quality of the product (QC, component quality, workmanship ect) than number of units made, especially in your example as the unit totals are so close.

also smaller runs *can* have more defects because unknown design faults can take some time to appear and be rectified.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

I have the standard black one (same amp) just like so many others for about a year now and it is great for me.

It has it's quirks, I think their is even a forum especially for them even. The most annoying thing is the volume control. They use a linear pot so that all the gain is at the start. This makes it seem incredibly loud between 2 and 4 but there's not a lot after that...a lot of people swap this out but I haven't (yet) as valve amps can be dangerous to work on, would break any warranty (important for you, mine was second hand) and because the pots hold up the circuit board and stuff, it in not an easy replacement of a pot...there's a little more too it, it's inside a special bracket to take the weight etc.

I have also noticed with some guitars (my tele) that it is possible to get a bad "falump" kind of effect if you hit the low string too hard. It only has a single 12 and does not have the option of an extension cab, nor is the speaker special (often this and the tubes get replaced too!) and this is most likely the reason and not often, controllable by technique and not damaging nor a fault.

Generally I only use the thing clean, it doesn't get moved around so much and I bought it from a studio where it's life was much the same (Price (half retail) and the idea that if there were going to be problems the previous owner would have discovered them) sold me on this particular amp.

The clean channel and reverb is classic fender, warm and clean...exactly what I wanted it for. The other channels...ehhh...not that impressed, far better if you want distortion and such to stick a pedal of choice in front of it...the clean channel loves effects...and be done with it, just like a real vintage fender. However, if you want it two extra valve drive stages/channels are there and footswitchable...just a bit gritty or something for my tastes.

They have started making different colours, tweed and stuff, but basically it is all cosmetic. As one of the most popular amps they are everywhere and how collectible such things might be is debatable. There are certainly better amps and better fender amps for sure and this could be better too...but not for this price. There may be production issues, all are made in Mexico BTW and things can go wrong, but when it works, it works well...if the occasional reported faults were that overwhelming, they would surely have tightened things up as with a 5 year warranty, they are going to have to fix a hell of a lot of them!

If you look after it, and it is going to have an easy life at home (or well looked after) it is an ideal amp and I am very happy with mine...so I am happy for you.

Make good music and enjoy...a nice amp is often overlooked in the sound and on here where we focus so much on the guitar itself.

Godd Luck

pete

Limited/special edition doesn't really mean anything not it's own.

If I set out out to build 250000 guitars and not a single more I have produced a limited edition guitar and 249000 others.

As to special edition same thing applies 250000 bog standard telecasters but wait I've put pinstripes on ehm, that's a bit special suddenly you have 250000 special edition telecasters.

I know you are talking about amps but it applies to everything it's the ratio that counts 50 special/limited edition in a run of 50000 that's pretty good! you are not likely to see another one down the dog and duck of a friday night.

+1 for what borge said

Edited by joshvegas

Thanks for the comments guys. Well, I don't think I will be selling this amp anytime at all so it really doesn't matter if the price will really go up on it. I've decided that it really is the best for me rather than those other amps everyone gets nowadays that are only good for putting everything all they way up and playing metal. I also made a volume box that acts as a master volume in the effects loop to control the touchiness of the vloume on the amp and to crank the preamp tubes for more natural distortion and more fatness to go with the fender twang. Long live fender amplifiers, masters of blues and rock!