Need Help Deciding On Neck Option

For my first electric build I am thinking of just buying the neck and taking what I learn from my semi-hollow build and using it on future guitars. However, I still would like to get a premade neck for the first one, at least in part because my woodworking class will end before I get to it.

This will be for a 25.5" scale set-neck, and I am trying to decide between Warmoth & Soulmate. I am inclined to go with Soulmate, however there are a couple of factors.

Soulmate

Pro's: I have heard amazing things about Doug's work (mainly from reviews on this site). I also greatly prefer buying from smaller companies and American-made, which Soulmate would qualify as on both accounts.

Con's: Not really a con, but I would kind of like a compound radius which he does not offer. That being said, it is not a huge deal just a minor preference.

Warmoth

Pro's: I can get a compound radius. Warmoth TENDS to do pretty well. I have heard a few horror stories, but overall they seem to do alright.

Con's: It is a big corporation. I am not sure if they will make the neck blank at the base so I can blend the heel to match the guitar, or leave it without drilling holes, or make it so I can use it as a set-neck; I am not sure what the difference in dimensions would be. They might, but I know they are resistant to change due to it all being CNC.

Any thoughts? I will eventually be doing all of my own work, but for this one I thought I would just give a pre-fabricated neck a whirl while I learn the ropes on my first build.

-Cheers

I own two of the Carvin neckthroughs and IMHO they are well made. I used one for a neckthrough Gibson style V and the other for a neckthrough Gibson SG/ESP Viper. If you want a custom with many choices go with Soulmate and have Doug make it the way you want. As I have said before, should I decide to buy another neck instead of going through the trouble of making one myself I will try one of Soulmate's necks. This is my opinion and I don't get anything for suggesting one or the other.

Jeff

I'm doing a 5-string bass, with a neck from Carvin.

It's a single cut of maple, angled headstock with a small volute, through-body 12" blank so I can cut it down to do a set-neck joint. Ebony fretboard, stainles steel frets, no dot markers, uncut undrilled headstock. It'll let me match the shape of the body by translating it to the headstock for a truly custom, uniform look.

I'm very impressed with this neck. Straight as an arrow, absolutely black fretboard with no color variances. I gotta put my funky-shaped fret markers on, then I can start to chop the blank to begin the set-neck construction.

If I were buying a neck, I'd be sending Doug a purchase order. :D I can't imagine you'd go wrong with Carvin or Warmoth, either, but for my money Doug would be the first choice, sight unseen.

dougs work is certainly very impressive... but i wouldnt rule warmoth out... it seems like the screw holes may be the deciding factor for you and i am not sure if this is something warmoths need to have for their jigs... but if not they should certainly be able to do it without. Its worth giving them a call or email to discuss possible options .

Same goes with doug or carvin - they will all be willing to let you know what they can or cant do and it may be different to what is offered as standard on the website so get in touch with them and let them know exactly what you want

There was some mention of Carvin... I own well over a dozen Carvin guitars, and their necks are just great.

But you're not going to get them to do a couple things you mentioned: compound radius fretboard, and custom sculpting of the heel. (However, you can buy a 25" scale length neck-through blank that you can sculpt however you want.)

There was some mention of Carvin... I own well over a dozen Carvin guitars, and their necks are just great.

I considered the Carvin 25" neck option. Only two things leading me away from that:

1) I am leaning toward a 25.5" neck.

2) I like supporting smaller businesses. While Carvin qualifies, Doug at SoulMate is a smaller business and I like to help out the smaller guys. However, I would definitely use Carvin parts a/o buy a Carvin guitar in a heart beat. Their new semi-hollows look sweet, as do, well, most of them.

Thank you for the recommendation all of you Carvin folk. And everybody else.

-Cheers

The only reason not to use a Carvin for a compound radius fretboard, is you do not know how deep the reinforcing bars inside the neck are cut into the neck wood. I'm considering the Tobias Killer B's neck profile, and I kindasortakinda just want to sand down the underside of this neck to copy that. But that's a $305 mistake if I start sanding down and the reinforcing bar pops through.

Go with the custom order. You'll have every variable controlled and accounted for.

One further question.

First off, I am going with Doug at SoulMate. Second, I am also thinking of going with a 24.75" scale Mahogany neck w/ Maple laminate stripes. If I go with a Mahogany body and the shorter scale, would I need to worry about that sounding muddy with a Mahogany neck w/ Maple laminates at moderate to fairly high levels of gain (thinking Alice in Chains or Pantera at the most distorted), or should I consider a going with either a Maple neck w/ laminates or a longer scale? Or does it really matter? I realize LPs and Gibson Flying V's are used in all sorts of music, but would be interested in hearing any dissenting opinions as most music in that vein does not seem to be made with that composition of guitar and when it does often active pickups are incorporated.

-Cheers

One further question.

First off, I am going with Doug at SoulMate. Second, I am also thinking of going with a 24.75" scale Mahogany neck w/ Maple laminate stripes. If I go with a Mahogany body and the shorter scale, would I need to worry about that sounding muddy with a Mahogany neck w/ Maple laminates at moderate to fairly high levels of gain (thinking Alice in Chains or Pantera at the most distorted), or should I consider a going with either a Maple neck w/ laminates or a longer scale? Or does it really matter? I realize LPs and Gibson Flying V's are used in all sorts of music, but would be interested in hearing any dissenting opinions as most music in that vein does not seem to be made with that composition of guitar and when it does often active pickups are incorporated.

-Cheers

Shorter-scale guitars don't automatically sound "muddy". You've been reading too many tone voodoo articles somewhere. ;-)

If you want to use a 24.75" scale, go for it. Plenty of high-gain players use Gibsons with passive pickups. You're thinking too hard. :D

Shorter-scale guitars don't automatically sound "muddy". You've been reading too many tone voodoo articles somewhere. ;-)

No doubt. :D

If you want to use a 24.75" scale, go for it. Plenty of high-gain players use Gibsons with passive pickups. You're thinking too hard. :D

Sounds like a plan. What should be my deciding factor between going with a Maple neck w/ Mahogany, Bubinge, or Walnut stripes and a Mahogany neck with Maple stripes? Cosmetics? Will any perceived difference in tone or attack be just more tone voodoo? Will neck strength be anything to consider, or does the truss rod make that a non-factor? Thanks.

-Cheers