Custom 8 String Build!

Well, as my other project is in the finishing stages, I thought I would start this one.

specs;

Alder body

Wenge/bubinga neck

Bolt on neck

bubinga fretboard

EMG 45DC pickup (bridge position)

Scale is 27" tuned to F#/B/E/A/D/G/b/e

Shape is an RG, with RG2228 headstock.

Will post up as soon as I have pictures of it.

IMG00203.jpg

Edited by ngaa

• 3 weeks later...
hey ngaa! Love the look of all that dark wood. is that alder as dark as in the picture? What kind of headstock are you using for this build?

Thanks, I'm pretty sure the body wood is ash, I'm not sure.. But the wood is a lot lighter in real life than the pictures.

The headstock is a 4x4 ibanez RG2228 style as you can see in the very first picture :D.

Thanks for the comment! You're the second person.. haha.

Sorry I haven´t noticed that pic :D Why have you decided to go for a bolt on?

I´d rather go for set neck... with 8 string neck you could carve the neck joint and have better access to upper frets... just my opinion, what do you think about that?

My bolt-on 8-strings have excellent access to the upper registers, becase you can carve an angled heel anyway whether it's bolt-on, set or through. It look to me that the 24th lays in a very accessible position.

Edited by Prostheta

Is there going to be a veneer on the top of that headstock? *crosses fingers*

I'm going to do a swirl paintjob on the body and the top of the headstock. So in a way there will be.

Sorry I haven´t noticed that pic :D Why have you decided to go for a bolt on?

I´d rather go for set neck... with 8 string neck you could carve the neck joint and have better access to upper frets... just my opinion, what do you think about that?

I've played a bunch of bolt on RGs and their fret access is very good actually. So that made my decision.

I really love the wenge fretboard and the grain pattern on the body looks nice too. A trans finish would be really cool.

Thanks, but I'm doing a swirl paintjob on it with probably, Red, Black, and White. Not sure yet.

And man is Bubinga a tough wood to shape!

Thanks for all the comments!

Edited by ngaa

Sounds good. Are you masking off parts of the neck, or is it a complete swirl back, front and neck? I'm kind of imagining it will look like a cross between something like the Jeff Hanneman camo M-II and a swirl RG/JEM. Looking forward to it :-D

I wonder what a white/black/mid-grey/light-grey swirl would look like?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...