My New Toy!

RFR

I have worked with other commercial and homemade carving machines before.

This one is a result of working all the bugs out of the other machines

A couple of years went into just thinking about the design and planning.

Here it is!!!

carvehome.jpg

Roman

That is some outstanding work there.

Thanks guys, I can only take credit for the design, however.

I have a buddy that has a machine shop that actually built it for me.

He machines guitar parts for me as well.

Here is one of my bridges and tail pieces.

stainless_bridge.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm building almost exactly the same thing Roman, except i'm not duplicarving. Just an XY rail setup with a router attached for template cutting, or with the option of the router floating on springs with the router being slightly heavier than the springs balance for binding channel routing. It will be very useful for thicknessing also.

Oh wow, that bridge and tailpiece look amazing! Really really classy.

I've seen a lot of these around the forums, and one question has always nagged at me:

If you're only carving the top into a guitar like on your first pic, how do you set up the two bodies so that they match perfectly, just a lot of setting up and trial-and-error? I can see it being really easy if you're starting with a block of wood, but when you've got a body shape to deal with.....

I'm building almost exactly the same thing Roman, except i'm not duplicarving. Just an XY rail setup with a router attached for template cutting, or with the option of the router floating on springs with the router being slightly heavier than the springs balance for binding channel routing. It will be very useful for thicknessing also.

Cool. It is agreat asset to the shop.

I use mine for carving bodies, template routing, thickness planing, and have an attachment for a floating router setup as well.

With the floating router, I have for the first time in my building career, been able to route binding channels in carved tops in one pass!

Oh wow, that bridge and tailpiece look amazing! Really really classy.

I've seen a lot of these around the forums, and one question has always nagged at me:

If you're only carving the top into a guitar like on your first pic, how do you set up the two bodies so that they match perfectly, just a lot of setting up and trial-and-error? I can see it being really easy if you're starting with a block of wood, but when you've got a body shape to deal with.....

Thanks for the coments on the hardware!

Setting up the bodies is a bit of trial and error. you have to do quite a bit of setup to make sure the center lines are accurate.

I am making up a jig system so that set up is a breeze.

The whole system is an ongoing project.

Roman