Painting Pickups

DJGuitars

i know it's only been 30 mins but i need to know the answer because if ican do it then i'm going to do it right after i find out.

So, if someone were to reply now i would read the post and then go do what i need to.

Sorry for rushing everyone and crap, but the sooner i find out the better.

thanks, and sorry

I think active pickups look better painted than passive pickups. Passive pickups are a little busy to be painted in my opinion. If your just looking for a solid colour for a passive, theres these things called bobbin toppers and I think Brian sells them. If its an active pickup like an EMG, check out some of the stuff that GMW guitarworks has done in the past, they have done some pretty badass guitars. Go to the General Archives section and then theres a green link to "examples of past graphics". They paint pickups alot. http://www.gmwguitars.com/

:D

And also, they're not active pickups B)

Which pickups are you talking about?

Active pickups are usually covered with the covers we were talking about painting over. It was just a harmless dig at the actives, that's all.

Haha no prob.

And not all pickups with those kinds of covers are active. :D

Really? I didn't know that! I've always been under the impression that those kind of covers were active, apart from like Lace Sensors. I've never really looked into actives that much.

Edited by WAK Guitars

My vote is for the bobbin toppers, myself. You can remove them and retouch them if the paint wears off, or get whole new ones with a new design.

Bobbin toppers works well, but if you need an special colour you can use vinyl (the type used to make advertising) to mask the bobbin, I used it in the past with good results.

And also, they're not active pickups B)

Which pickups are you talking about?

Active pickups are usually covered with the covers we were talking about painting over. It was just a harmless dig at the actives, that's all.

Haha no prob.

And not all pickups with those kinds of covers are active. :D

Really? I didn't know that! I've always been under the impression that those kind of covers were active, apart from like Lace Sensors. I've never really looked into actives that much.

Yeah, for example: EMG HZs and Selects look like EMG actives but are passive.

DJ

• 1 month later...

I never thought I'd do this, but I have a black DiMarzio FRED bridge pickup that I wanted to be white. Since the pole pieces are all little allen head screws, I took them all out and masked off the sides of the pickup, plugged the holes and then spray painted it gloss white. It actually turned out pretty well. I guess time will tell how well the paint holds up. I think it will actually be OK .

Anyhow, I would have never thought of doing this before I saw this thread a while ago... :D