The Second Acoustic Build

Well, all,

Any one who kept up with the reso build, knows the disaster I created. So here I am starting again with a new Acoustic build, not a RESO though. This will be a Flat top 000 slimline. The sides are 3 3/4" tall. Ambrosia maple sides and back with a Redwood top. The neck will be curly maple (most likely). This is an effort to learn the build not really to have a great guitar, just using scrap wood for this one.

Here's a pic of this weekends start!!

ambribs1.jpg

I'll update as it moves along :D

MK

Edited by MiKro

What about side braces/tapes?

What's happening to the reso hardware, or did you not have any yet?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Well, I'm not sure it will need side splints, but most likely will get some? As far as the Reso Hardware, a friend of mine bought it all from me. He's on his fifth Reso build. So I didn't lose any $ on that :D

I seem to have opened a can of worms though on the OLF with the flat top question though, OOPS!!

BTW the B&W Ebony you scored is really nice, Mine is more brownish in the sap wood. :D

Take care,

Mike

I would personally give ANYTHING with bent sides side tapes. No question. You may not think it's crack prone... but that's not to say you won't one day sit down with keys in the wrong pocket and BAM, crack with nothing to stop it from spreading.

I'm lookin' to build a reso (round neck) at some point so I can rock out like Eric Sardinas!

Chris

I would personally give ANYTHING with bent sides side tapes. No question. You may not think it's crack prone... but that's not to say you won't one day sit down with keys in the wrong pocket and BAM, crack with nothing to stop it from spreading.

I'm lookin' to build a reso (round neck) at some point so I can rock out like Eric Sardinas!

Chris

+1

I've seen it happen before. It's not a pretty sight.

I agree on the splints and will be adding them this week. Thanks for the reminder Chris and Daniel.

Chris,Good luck on the Reso build, watch your neck angle and be very tight on the cone placement for bridge alignment. Just a friendly suggestion from someone that's made that mistake. :D

Daniel , I would like to know more about your method of neck attachment as it did catch my eye as something I would consider?

MK

You say that you are making this out of scrapwood...That's some pretty sexy scrap wood.....It looks like it's spalted while still being good strong hard maple that won't clog your lungs!

You say that you are making this out of scrapwood...That's some pretty sexy scrap wood.....It looks like it's spalted while still being good strong hard maple that won't clog your lungs!

No Dudz it's ambrosia maple and I have 100's of board feet of it. It was very cost effective for me. So In my shop it's scrap wood. Much less cost than pine at the Home Depot. :D I have plans for this wood beyond the staircase I'M building out of it. I will be making guitars for dying children in hopes of bringing just one good day into there short lives. :D

MK

And if you STILL have too much I can send you my address :D lol

Chris

Chris Pm me with the addy and let me know what you need I'm sure you can get something for that degree, B) Consider it a graduation present?

BTW thank Todd for his support on the OLF I just lost my cool on it my thread there. :D

MK

No Dudz it's ambrosia maple and I have 100's of board feet of it. It was very cost effective for me. So In my shop it's scrap wood. Much less cost than pine at the Home Depot. :D I have plans for this wood beyond the staircase I'M building out of it. I will be making guitars for dying children in hopes of bringing just one good day into there short lives. :D

MK

Mikro,I know you aready know this ,but giving back aways brings good karma to you.I am a Texan ,and you make us proud.Keep up the good work.

I didn't see you lose it at any point and aside from that I think you ended up creating a great discussion. As posts later in the subject started to suggest all throughout building people have had opinions that end up being wrong or evolving into something else, just because someone says its wrong or bad, doesn't always make it so, even if they have been doing it that way for 20 years. I always find dicussions like that extremely informative because it makes those long time builders fully explain and provide reasons for their methods and that gives us beginners a lot to learn from. There are a few great finishing threads that that Rick Turner contributed to, that are similar to your thread, where an idea was tossed out and then debated over. OLF is a super chill place of great guys, which makes debates no big deal. Anyhow, there isn't much discussion on the subject you asked anywhere, so I don't think it was a poor choice in question to begin with and it ended with a good debate/discussion, so I think it was a good thing. Plus, it saved me askin'! :D

Edited by jmrentis

>snip<

Mikro,I know you aready know this ,but giving back aways brings good karma to you.I am a Texan ,and you make us proud.Keep up the good work.

Thanks Dean,

Having many health issues myself makes this even more a challenge and a conviction. :D

I didn't see you lose it at any point and aside from that I think you ended up creating a great discussion. As posts later in the subject started to suggest all throughout building people have had opinions that end up being wrong or evolving into something else, just because someone says its wrong or bad, doesn't always make it so, even if they have been doing it that way for 20 years. I always find dicussions like that extremely informative because it makes those long time builders fully explain and provide reasons for their methods and that gives us beginners a lot to learn from. There are a few great finishing threads that that Rick Turner contributed to, that are similar to your thread, where an idea was tossed out and then debated over. OLF is a super chill place of great guys, which makes debates no big deal. Anyhow, there isn't much discussion on the subject you asked anywhere, so I don't think it was a poor choice in question to begin with and it ended with a good debate/discussion, so I think it was a good thing. Plus, it saved me askin'! :D

Thanks JM,

I just get tired of the ego's. I know I have been guilty of it as well before, offering BS answers instead of actually helping. I try and watch that I don't do that anymore, for it serves no one.

MK