Revisiting An Old Unfinished Build

This is actually my first scratch build. It's been hanging in the corner of the shop, gathering dust for many moons now. I moved on to other projects after I blew out a chunck of the ebony board while drilling the side dots :D . I find that with some projects, it's best to walk away for a while, and come back later with a "fresh perspective". I have been so busy with inlay work, and setting up the new CNC, I just havent had the time to finish it.

I picked it back up a week or so ago, milled off the old board, and got a fresh start. I went with a 27 fret Indian rosewood board, bound with a pearloid binding that matches the 2 color pearlessent "scroll" inlay. I left a pinstripe of ebony under the new board for contrast. I pressed in some gold EVO med frets to match the gold hardware, and routed for a SD "cool rail" in the neck. I decided to go with a more defined carve on the top (the body is a 1 piece mahog). This is my first real "carve", and I'm happy with the results so far. All I need to do now is glue in the neck, carve the heel, trim down the neck profile, then throw a finish on it. Here is the most recent pic, let me know what you guys think:

pt-pic3.jpg

My wife said the same thing...."It's sharp & evil looking". Actually, what I was shooting for is a cross between a violin, and an RG with a carved top. I did a small import run (Korean) of the same shape without the carve for a large dealer in Kansas, but it didnt pan out. I'll be offering body blanks in this shape (with or without routs) by the end of 2008.

here is a pic of one of the imports that I kept:

prophet2.jpg

Normally I'm not too fond of pointy, evil-looking things, but that is just really a cool shape, with the roundness the carving lends to it.

I'm with Rick 100%. The whole "metal/pointy/evil crap instantly turns me off. This one, however, is really nice. It's still not my cup of tea, but it's tons better than some of the other pointy things I've seen. The carves really help. I LOVE the way the carve is so smooth & rounded. The gradual slopes are really nice.

Normally I'm not too fond of pointy, evil-looking things, but that is just really a cool shape, with the roundness the carving lends to it.

I'm with Rick 100%. The whole "metal/pointy/evil crap instantly turns me off. This one, however, is really nice. It's still not my cup of tea, but it's tons better than some of the other pointy things I've seen. The carves really help. I LOVE the way the carve is so smooth & rounded. The gradual slopes are really nice.

x3

The carve is really really nice Doug. I can't tell but the body looks a tiny bit thick for my tastes. What is the body thickness? It looks like it wants to be a thinner one like an SG almost.

NICE inlay!

(BTW, I just finished cutting that dragon inlay I emailed you a couple weeks ago, and it's coming along perfect. I'll get a build thread up soon)

Sumbitch! Just as pointy and evil as my ideas!!!

Seriously, there's a lot of sculpting ideas in there that are similar to my build, but in different ways. Very slick, very METAL.

We should start up a team and just make Pointy Evil Guitars! BC Rich has gotten stale and common now, time to scare people once again!

I find it a bit hard to be metal with an acorn inlay on your fretboard :D

I, however, really like the shape, and the smooth top carve adds something good to it. In fact, I don't think it should NOT have a carved top, now that I see a picture of a flat top to compare it to.

I'm glad you ended up using the gold/silver inlayed board, Doug. The design is killer.

So what's next in line for this build? Any finishing ideas?

Sumbitch! Just as pointy and evil as my ideas!!!

Seriously, there's a lot of sculpting ideas in there that are similar to my build, but in different ways. Very slick, very METAL.

We should start up a team and just make Pointy Evil Guitars! BC Rich has gotten stale and common now, time to scare people once again!

we could all move to dallas and call it "Elysian Guitars" :D

Thanks for the compliments guys! To answer some questions:

I fixed the damaged FB by milling it off flat, and leaving a little less than 1/6" of ebony to create a black pinstripe under the new board. It wasnt what I originally wanted, but it still works. I have a manual mill in my shop that is perfect for tasks like this. Here it is when it was brand new: http://members.aol.com/huntindoug/mill.jpg

The body thickness is 1 3/4" inch thick. It started as a nice 1 piece billet. The carve makes it look slightly thinner. The weight is good...not too heavy. This was carved with hand files & sandpaper. I cant say how long it took, because I carved it over a year ago, then came back, and re-carved it deeper.

As far as the finish, I had been planning on useing Tru Oil, but now I'm leaning more toward a poly, or some sort of thin clear coat. I like the feel of Tru Oil, but I'd rather get it done quick.

The new inlay is a 2 color "inner twined" scroll. I actually had it slated for a walnut 6 string build, but decided to use it on this one. As soon as I get this CNC up and running, I will be offering pre inlaid boards with many different designs. I will also have the ability to have luthiers email me a DXF file of thier own body, or inlay designs. I can then create a 3D model (with full, or partial body carving) for smaller shops that need to turn work around quicker. The next few months will be fun in the shop. :D

I have had several emails & IM's about this the carve top...It's always good to talk directly with PG members. Most of the comments see this build as evil, pointy, metal, ect. That's not what I was shooting for at all. I was trying to marry up a traditional violin shape, with a modern "S" style guitar. I've never been a big fan of the pointy or metal guitar styles. But...If that's how most people see this one, that's cool. I'll do a black mirror bullet hole inlay on the next one, and call it done. :D

bulletts2.jpg

Most of the comments see this build as evil, pointy, metal, ect. That's not what I was shooting for at all. I was trying to marry up a traditional violin shape, with a modern "S" style guitar. I've never been a big fan of the pointy or metal guitar styles. But...If that's how most people see this one, that's cool. I'll do a black mirror bullet hole inlay on the next one, and call it done. :D

I actually see it as a more baroque looking instrument that metal as such, but hey - people will always see whatever they want to see in something, me included! The C bouts in the waist work really nicely.

Please don't take my "evil" comments as a lowly opinion! I think this design is wicked AND traditional, blending some very original ideas with old-world designs to get your violin-inspired sculpture. It's just that those horns carved that way resemble viking horns or perhaps a sabertooth tiger's fangs. At least nobody's comparing it to baby food!!! LOL

It's a great design. Ambitious, and innovative. You'll do well with this once it's all finished.

Would you do a bass like this? It reminds me a lot of the Warwick Vampyre:

Vamp_2.jpg

Warwick.jpg

I did a neck-through Vampyre as one of my first builds. Learnt a lot from it. I didn't do the raised sections around the C bouts as I wasn't happy with my carving skills at the time, especially on heavily figured maple.

vampyre5_30_safe.jpg

Edited by Prostheta

The neck angle was slightly out of whack as I didn't have the same tooling as I do now. It's currently sitting in store waiting till I get around to finishing it :-D I'd rather leave a build and do it correctly when i'm ready, rather than rushing in where fools dare to tread. That and the bloodwood fingerboard is an absolute PAIN to sand....ebony territory!

I did a neck-through Vampyre as one of my first builds. Learnt a lot from it. I didn't do the raised sections around the C bouts as I wasn't happy with my carving skills at the time, especially on heavily figured maple.

vampyre5_30_safe.jpg

OH NOOOOOOO...... NO NO NO NO... why oh WHY did you show me this???

Pro.... Private Message me, email me, call me, dude, we gotta TALK. I dunno, I may have to get a second job to afford it, but we gotta TALK....

*checks bank accounts online*

No offence taken Bryan. :D It's always good to get other peoples opinion on design ideas. If you look at the beginning of the post, that's what I asked: "Tell me what you think". I have a local friend who's opinion I call on all the time. He doesnt have an artisic background..which is good. I have a habit of overthinking things at times. :D His input keeps me from going off on a tangent.

I do have a bass version of the "Prophet" shape. But, for what you are wanting, you should call Carl. He will build you a killer bass, and he's close.

I would if I had the same workshop space as I had at the previous house, Doug! We have three times the area now, and double the garden - sadly, no workshop :-\

It means that when I build, I build very deliberately and with lots of planning. Woe is me, etc!

Although I do have a gym now to keep my Muay up.

Edited by Prostheta