Converting An Rga121 To 7 String.

What do you guys think of the zr trems? Do they alter tone like a floyd or do they have a tone more like traditional trems? this is the only factor that would stop me from using them because I know that the tuning stability is good with them.

I've read that they feel more like vintage trems, resistance wise, because they don't use knife edges. But I've never noticed too much difference in tone or feel when I played one.

What do you guys think of the zr trems? Do they alter tone like a floyd or do they have a tone more like traditional trems? this is the only factor that would stop me from using them because I know that the tuning stability is good with them.

i honestly can't say, i've played on ZR trems before, and besides thinking "this is really badass", i couldn't give a comparison of them tonewise :D i'd imagine they have less effect on tone than a floyd, because they don't use knife edges, the bearing system seems like itd give the tremelo much more contact area. paying for the ZR7 trem tomorrow, as well as a 5 string yamaha bass project, can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

got home from louisville, ky today to find my ZR7 trem, as well as a 5 string yamaha bass project. i've drawn up my template, but i need a new bandsaw blade, and i need some MDF, i'll get both tomorrow on my way home from work. i also got my quilted maple veneer, and it is SICK. can't wait to get it on the guitar and get to finishing it.

Edited by ElysianGuitars

finally, an update!

RGA7-ZR-1.jpg

http://www.elysian-online.com/RGA7-ZR-2.jpg

http://www.elysian-online.com/RGA7-ZR-3.jpg

the red arrows and circles are spots that will get attention. when i was hogging out the bulk of the wood for the trem cavity, i got too close to the edge, and it shows. easy fix, i'll just fill it with a small bit of wood. the screw holes, i screwed down my template for the trem cavity, just gonna plug em, its getting a quilt top on it anyways. the trem fits wonderfully, has a full range of motion in what i suspect will be the normal height for it, i just need to figure out how to route underneat it, and how to route out the ZPS2 cavity. i also still need some ZPS2 parts, but rich at ibanezrules is working on that for me.

• 3 weeks later...

RGA7NewFretboard.jpg

change of plans, ditching the ebony board for maple, got my fret slotting blade from stewmac today, and made my jig for fret slotting, and now i've decided to replace the ebony board with this maple one, and replacing the truss rod from the single action to a dual action.

Edited by ElysianGuitars

RGA7-ZR.jpg

What'n'the'crap is that? I feel really left out of the loop not even having seen that type of trem until now. Huh. I read through that website, and it sounds interesting, sort of like halfway between a Floyd and Kahler. I should track down an Ibanez with it next time I'm at GC.

RGA7-ZR.jpg

What'n'the'crap is that? I feel really left out of the loop not even having seen that type of trem until now. Huh. I read through that website, and it sounds interesting, sort of like halfway between a Floyd and Kahler. I should track down an Ibanez with it next time I'm at GC.

its on a few 6 string S series, and i've even seen it on one model RG, its a really neat trem.

• 4 weeks later...

RGA7Project1.JPG

http://www.elysian-online.com/RGA121/RGA7Project2.JPG

got the color coat on, gonna let it dry a little longer and then do the faux binding(aka pinstriping), then it'll get 4 more coats of clear tonight, and we'll start the clearing all over tomorrow. this stewmac water based finish is insanely better than KTM9, flow control is way better, runs far less prevalent(i've gotten 1, as opposed to many with ktm9).

Edited by ElysianGuitars

i personally liked that color of the mahoany better, but im sure it will look cool painted as well.

i dunno, i really like how it looks now :D

RGA7Project3.jpg

http://www.elysian-online.com/RGA121/RGA7Project4.jpg

faux binding is on, i think it really sets off the guitar, i really love the way it looks, and it'll look sick with the black hardware, bound fretboard, sharkfin inlays(like i did on my 6 string, look like real shark fins, not like jackson's inlays), and bound headstock with color matched paint.

this is a change of direction i really didn't talk about to much of anyone, but its basically going for the Jackson DK2M theme, but with body binding added.

Edited by ElysianGuitars

this thing is getting flat sanded with 400 grit, i'm actually sanding through the finish on the faux binding to get it down level with yesterdays coats, as well as give it a little more to stick to, almost done flat sanding it, and it'll get 6 coats of clear today, and at the end of the day i'll decide if i want to do 6 more coats. the stewmac finish sticks perfectly fine to the color coat, its so far been a dream compared to the nightmare of KTM9.

RGA7HeadstockBinding1.jpg

fretboard isn't glued on, just snapped this pic and figured i'd post it. things are moving right along. i had to go with a thicker binding on the headstock because the channel i routed wound up being 1/32nd wider than what i measured on the stewmac binding router jig, which was weird, but hey, i know for the future. it'll wind up being the same width when i'm done finishing the headstock, its getting a white finish just like the body, and i'll take the finish off to make it just as wide as the fretboard binding, the rest will be under the white. i'm gonna be gluing the fretboard on in just a little bit.

RGA7Project5.jpg

http://www.elysian-online.com/RGA121/RGA7Project6.jpg

the fretboard is now glued on, binding is filed down smooth, and right now i'm working on sanding it to 320 grit. it should be in the finish booth tomorrow or the next day

man, maple is tough to inlay in... i'm probably gonna work a little bit on a couple of the inlays, maybe even remake them, theres 2 in particular i'm not happy with. i think that'll be tomorrows project and i'll get it in the booth the next day.

Edited by ElysianGuitars