making a doubleneck?

this old idea popped up again. I think I've got a couple of hundred projects waiting for me to start them up now...

anyway, how do you go about making a strat-based doubleneck? I have a scrap strat body which can provide me with the curves for the general strat shape. how do I convert this shape to a double-neck shape? seems the lower body is placed more towards the butt... oh, damn it, I can't explain it... just look at http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/image...s/DBLStratW.jpg to see what I mean.

I'm thinking a fixed-6/trem-6-string version with the upper neck having vintage-style frets and vintage radius and the lower neck having a flatter radius and jumbo frets.

anyway, has anyone here built a double-neck? anyone have any tips? not that I think this project will get any further than the other ones (although all the PK Baretta needs is a pickup), but still...

If you want to convert a singleneck into a dblneck, I'd say you

1. Strip the finnish

2. Cut a nice straight edge

3. Glue on a piece of wood

4. Shape it until it blends nicely with the old body

About the shape in general, just immitate that pic, for example, or use some common sense (not meant to sound rude) and think up your own way to put two strats together.

I can't really be of any more assistance. But I'm interested in seeing what this leads to.

(Oh, btw, what is the purpose of a dblneck?)

... how do I convert this shape to a double-neck shape? seems the lower body is placed more towards the butt... oh, damn it, I can't explain it... just look at http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/image...s/DBLStratW.jpg to see what I mean.

it doesn't have to look like that you know, i've seen a couple if not quite a few guitar's where they were fairly evenly spaced lengthwise on the guitar, i think that's just warmouth's take on the strat double neck, no reason why you can't make a perfectly side by side double neck.

I have a 19" wide piece of Mahogany I plan of using for a 6/12 double neck, one day, maybe even with a lightly figured Koa top. You can see the template I made for it if you scroll down 3/4 of the way. It's in the upper left corner of the picture.

My Tools Page

I was fantasizing about that a little while ago. It would be pretty damn expensive in the hardware area. You could probably take your strat body and split it right down the center of the neck pocket and then shape a piece for the middle. And you can copy the neck pocket "halves" to complete each pocket. I guess a much easier way is to chop up 2 strat bodies and glue them together :D . <--- Funny guy

so, uhm, what about the weight of a double-neck? how heavy is a d-n strat, compared to a normal one? how do you keep the weight down?

and what is it like playing one sitting down?

maybe the upper neck could be a short-scale bass? bassists seem to be more in demand than guitarists, so maybe it's not that bad an idea?