A Guitar Is Born

i started in January working on this guitar. ordering everyting from stewmac as i go on.

made a miniture - probably the size of 2 zippos

003Small.jpg

first shipment from stewmac

DSC00210.jpg

paper cut-out design

DSC00211.jpg

hardboard template

DSC00201.jpg

headstock design (most work ive done so far on the guitar)

hs001.jpg

hs005.jpg

head007.jpg

received my 2nd shipment from stewmac yesterday (01 july 08)

bridge1.jpg

nut.jpg

Edited by blinkknot

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now just hold on a second here.

You mean to tell me, you glued on a veneer to the front of the headstock, then sculpted the edges, to sand back and reveal the lines as a contour, like a body top at the forearm cutaway?

I love you.

MAAAN I can't wait til you finish sand and show us a pic with a finish over that! Heck, Just go hit that with alcohol and take a pic for me!!!

This is gonna be an awesome guitar. I can feel it. haha

But seriously, I really like the shape, its like a dreadnought meets an iceman. Really cool. And the headstock, come on, thats awesome.

Great Job so far! The only thing I was worried about was the upper fret access, just cause in the first pic it looked kida small. But it looks like you've fixed that.

I've wanted to round over a headstock, but never with the intention of creating a contour line with a contrasting veneer!

By the way... when this guitar is done... I expect to see some pics, of that guitar, being played, while FISH HOOKING another band member! Just snag their cheek and pull for the photo op!!!!

Extra credit for doing it during a guitar solo!

I wonder why nobody thought of carving the headstock before. It's one of those things that seem so obvious once it's done.

Looks good to me too.

I just had an idea, why not also create a logo or some embellishment on the headstock by carving a design right through the middle of the veneer to show the lighter wood underneath - like the old traffolite labels were done.

I wonder why nobody thought of carving the headstock before. It's one of those things that seem so obvious once it's done.

Looks good to me too.

I just had an idea, why not also create a logo or some embellishment on the headstock by carving a design right through the middle of the veneer to show the lighter wood underneath - like the old traffolite labels were done.

i thought about that. i even found out if i could laser-etch the logo into the headstock. but i have decided to go with the whole water-slide decal approach.

this is what i have in mind. for me its more about the grain of the wood - dont want to spoil that.

headstock.jpg

*photoshop

• 2 weeks later...
i need opinions or even new ideas where to place the volume and tone pots.

even if just say 1, 2 or 3 it would be great...

I like 2.