A Guitar Is Born

yes i would agree, you seem to be misunderstanding me

here is what i suggested

I would make a full sized pocket shim, a wedge shaped shim that fills the neck pocket completely to ensure good contact between neck and body.

maybe tapered shim would have been a better choice of words but i expect people that dont quite get what i am saying to do the thinking to figure it out for themselves. I am not posting here for a profession, do not get paid and my responses may not always be good english... but i am willing to try and clarify anything i suggest that gets misunderstood

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are a bee's todger away from agreement on the best fix,

because the forward end of the pocket has got to be routed down, and be angled, and the posterior end of the pocket has got to come up, the only way to do it accurately is, as you say a full pocket insert, and then reroute.

mwuyvr.jpg

You can be Jerry Springer on this one :D

Edited by Muzz

There is a great explanation of calculating neck angles here

And a fantastic and easy to use calculator here

My comment about year 5 maths looks bitchy in the light of day, I had just come home from a fantastic night out on the town and my beer goggles stopped me from seeing how it might be interpreted, I am going to take it down.

The neck angle needed on a flat top guitar is less than that needed on a carved top like a Lezo.

k4uzxh.jpg

The bridge pickup can be a humbucker and mounted in a bridge pick up frame and it will look like every other bridge humbucker.

There are many solutions to every problem. :D

Edited by Muzz

Hey blinkknot how are you going with it?

If you read the preceeding discussion, you can see that you have a choice of two fixes,

A. Build up the neck pocket with a tapered shim or shim composite and sink the bridge

or

B. Put an insert in the pocket and reroute an angle with ~ a 2 mm lift

Both are good techniques that will give you a good looking and playing guitar. If you go with plan A, a really simple shim method is use about 3 pieces of thin hardwood veneer in a step arrangement. You can try a step at a time until you get the angle right and you can sand a smooth ramp or even use epoxy to fill in the steps to get good traction between the neck and the pocket.

Sinking your baby grand bridge,

bridge1.jpg

would need some careful planning, check how much clearence you will need to feed in the strings. Good luck with it :D

You are right Wes. Does a fretboard on a les paul finish hard against the top? The reason im asking this is there is still a couple of mm's of neck material above the guitars body so he still has room to sink it down. Thats the only reason i thought of it that way. Correcting the neck angle will bring the strings closer and he may not have to sink the bridge. Whatever you do Blink make sure you are comfortable with it and have thought the process through. :D

yeah, a lp fretboard does sit on the top... but that section of the top is angled too. This guitar has a flat top and the neck is already set lower than is normal for a bolt-on neck on a flat-top guitar... and thats without allowing for the fact a TOM is a good 4-5 mm taller than a hardtail you might normally see on guitars built this way

see how high this strat neck sits off the body, the scratchplate make it look less

mossinkoff.fretwerk1_website.jpg

so i still reckon th easiest fix will be to raise and angle the neck with a full pocket shim as well as sinking the bridge slightly.... but thats because i tend to think about how each change will affect the others. changing 3 things slightly means you wont have to create an extreme neck angle

Yeah i see what ya mean wes. Good pic and explanation. I know which way id go but i don't want to influence Blink. He has got to make the decision. :D

Hey blinkknot how are you going with it?

If you read the preceeding discussion, you can see that you have a choice of two fixes,

A. Build up the neck pocket with a tapered shim or shim composite and sink the bridge

or

B. Put an insert in the pocket and reroute an angle with ~ a 2 mm lift

Both are good techniques that will give you a good looking and playing guitar. If you go with plan A, a really simple shim method is use about 3 pieces of thin hardwood veneer in a step arrangement. You can try a step at a time until you get the angle right and you can sand a smooth ramp or even use epoxy to fill in the steps to get good traction between the neck and the pocket.

Sinking your baby grand bridge,

would need some careful planning, check how much clearence you will need to feed in the strings. Good luck with it :D

wow thanks for all the advice... i went with A in the end. it looks right now.

i still had some veneer left which is 1mm thick so i filled the whole pocket with a piece and the ontop of that with half a piece of veneer. this gave me the right angle... i hope. ill post some pics once i bolted the neck back on.

i wanted to stay away of doing anything to the finish. thats why i skipped sinking the bridge

• 2 months later...