Custom Lp Build

Here is another one of mine.

As the description says;

It is Honduras Mahogany, with a flamed Redwood carve top and Braz board.

The inlays and neck binding are Curly Maple.

It has gold fretwire and will be getting all gold hardware.

2654767944_74484f9997_o.jpg

I like the idea of using figured wood for the F/B inlays. With this top, though, I don't think it's working. I'm all for color contrast, but there's nothing to tie the inliays into the body. Is it too late to tape off the blocks and dye them to match the top?

I hear you.

However there is nothing to tie the the inlays of a LP standard into the body either, nor the inlays of an LP custom. The overall theme of this instrument is nice wood.

The top is not going to look like that. Right now it has that "pinkish" redwood look.

Anyway, everyone likes different things. I like it..........or I wouldn't have done it :D

I'll keep you posted.

Roman

Every now and then I come back to the idea o using maple for fretboard inlays, but isn't it a problem to leave them unfinished ?? I mean, an unfinished RW fretboard looks great, wouldnt the maple get too dirty with normal use ??

I have a question about your top. I have some flamed redwood I will use for tops, but t quite brownish in color. Did you bleach that top of yours before staining red ?? How did you do it if so ??

BTW, I like your headstock shape very much !!

Every now and then I come back to the idea o using maple for fretboard inlays, but isn't it a problem to leave them unfinished ?? I mean, an unfinished RW fretboard looks great, wouldnt the maple get too dirty with normal use ??

I have a question about your top. I have some flamed redwood I will use for tops, but t quite brownish in color. Did you bleach that top of yours before staining red ?? How did you do it if so ??

BTW, I like your headstock shape very much !!

Thanks for the comments!

For the maple inlays they will be oiled up. I have done them many times, and have some experience with how they look over time.

Oiling them will darken them up and offer some protection. yes they will get dirty, but no more than a well played fingerboard. Alittle cleaning and they are back to normal.

The top has not been bleached, just freshly sanded. I would assume your redwood is darker from oxidation. once you sand it it will lighten up.

Roman

I like the idea of using figured wood for the F/B inlays. With this top, though, I don't think it's working. I'm all for color contrast, but there's nothing to tie the inliays into the body. Is it too late to tape off the blocks and dye them to match the top?

I happen to love the way this guitar is coming out. But I suppose, one way to accomplish what avengers63 is concerned about...although it's too late to consider doing this...would be to use matching flamed maple binding on the body and neck to tie into the maple inlays.

• 3 weeks later...

I happen to love the way this guitar is coming out. But I suppose, one way to accomplish what avengers63 is concerned about...although it's too late to consider doing this...would be to use matching flamed maple binding on the body and neck to tie into the maple inlays.

Thanks Frank, I love it too. More importantly however, the client loves it. that is the real and only person I need to please. :D

Here is another progress shot. The headstock is bound and the body is bound front and back. The neck has quilted maple binding.

She's coming along.

shotgun_lew_031.jpg

More importantly however, the client loves it. that is the real and only person I need to please. :D

Bingo! We can debate looks and preferences all we want, and that's great because it sparks ideas, but when it's a comissioned piece, it's all about what THEY want.

But there's nothing wrong with trying to talk them out of a bad idea. :D

More importantly however, the client loves it. that is the real and only person I need to please. B)

Bingo! We can debate looks and preferences all we want, and that's great because it sparks ideas, but when it's a comissioned piece, it's all about what THEY want.

But there's nothing wrong with trying to talk them out of a bad idea. :D

I agree . But I like it too, and think it is turning out wonderfully. :D

I skimmed over the build thread and wow what a nice build

i do have one question after looking and reading part of the post over there i am wondering was it worth fixing that body or would it have been easier to just build form scratch?

the reason i ask is it seems that by the time you fixed the neck pocket carved the top put the back on and re routed the controls you could have just built the body.

any way like i said really nice build or save and for everyone else if you didn't look at the build thread you need too lots more pics that will make you truely appriciate this build.

I skimmed over the build thread and wow what a nice build

i do have one question after looking and reading part of the post over there i am wondering was it worth fixing that body or would it have been easier to just build form scratch?

the reason i ask is it seems that by the time you fixed the neck pocket carved the top put the back on and re routed the controls you could have just built the body.

any way like i said really nice build or save and for everyone else if you didn't look at the build thread you need too lots more pics that will make you truely appriciate this build.

:D :D B)

I could have built 3 bodies with the work put into that one!

This originally started out as the client just wanting a neck built for his EBAY purchase, then took on a life of it's own.

Hidden underneath, there was a really nice peice of wood and I couldn't see it going to waste.

Besides, I like a challenge B)

In case anyone wants to follow it here is the link to the original thread

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-c...hotgun-lew.html

cheers,

Roman

Edited by RFR