Warmoth Reliability Question

Hi all!

I don't live in the US nor in Europe so I do have to think a million times before ordering something because warranty somehow never covers this area and shipping rates are insane.

My rant is, i've read so many mixed reviews about the Warmoth products. They are pretty damn expensive for replacement/DIY parts that COULD get bad reviews! so anyone had a solid experience with them and can actually recommend the effort and ultimately the money to invest in a full warmoth guitar? (or mainly their necks, coz i'm planning on at least making my own bodies, can't afford the time for necks =( )

i've also heard that they don't finish their frets, which is kinda surprising for necks that go for as much as $400 on average! (24 fret necks). And it's kinda problematic coz i'll have to yet order more tools from stewmac and have them shipped here (Dubai, UAE) which will add more to the cost.

any ideas?

Best regards,

Sami

the stuff i have had from warmoth has been great, no complaints here

warmoth dont do the final fretwork but that really just set-up stuff, and if you are having a neck sent halfway around the world the chances are you would have to do it again anyway. what i can say is that the necks come with the frets very evenly installed and i know some people have got away without doing any extra fretwork, i find a quick level and a good polish gets them into a really nice shape ready for a super low action if needed

neck prices start from $157 +$25 for the extra frets - thats a great price for the quality...the more expensive ones usually mean you are paying for the fancy woods

Hey folks... since we're on the subject of Warmoth...

I've been told they seal the whole neck. Do they seal everything including the fingerboard and frets too? Well, what I mean is do you think they seal the neck after they fret it? Just curious really, and I figure those of you who buy Warmoth necks might know. I've had several customers send me their Warmoth bodies to make a neck for, but I've never actually seen a Warmoth neck. It's just something I've wondered about now and then.

-Doug

All our necks are dipped in an oil based penetrating sealer which is compatible with virtually all secondary finishes. This provides enhanced stability; however, it is not adequate protection for playing. We strongly recommend you apply a hard finish to all Maple, Mahogany, and Koa necks. Oils do not validate our warranty requirements.

i guess that means it all gets covered

Years ago I had a shop within walking distance of the Hollywood Musicians Institute.

I was cranking out a warmouth strat every week for some one. I have built many warmouth guitars.

That being said, they are great! QC is high, and they use good materials.

The quality of a DIY build with warmouth parts is only going to be as good as the skill of the builder, but a well built Warmouth is on par with a Tom Anderson.

(I worked for Anderson for a while)

Roman

I guess that is now, because the 7string I ordered from then was not. And the frets were slightly dressed. I think that they are not worth the asking price right now, especially after buying my last neck from you Doug.

Your's was a cool neck too! I just went back and looked at the pictures...

-Doug

I bought a bridge from them. It had a little ware on it, so be aware that returns do go back into product circulation after an inspection just like most other stores. The bridge looks fine everywhere except for the back, which doesn't matter because that's not the part you're supposed to see anyway. If i had a clear guitar that i was installing it on, then that would be another story :D