Les Paul Style Octave Guitar

Thanks again for all the nice comments!

Awesome!

I'm gutted you beat me to it, but it's super sweet!

tiny_guitar.jpg

The halfsize is particularly impressive - I'd love to see some closeups of the tuners and bridge.

Sorry about that Setch! That little guy of yours sure looks sweet! I see you decided to put two pickups in yours. What are those going to be, mini-hums or P-90s? I bought some of each to try out in future builds, so I'll be curious to see how yours comes out.

And thanks for the nice comments on the half size guitars. Here are some photos of some of the hardware, including the bridge, tailpiece, Kluson style tuners and Grover style tuners (during construction):

Less_Tall_Hardware_800.jpg

normal_Baby_Duane_Pics_032_1000.jpg

Final_Prepaint_Photos_024_3__Resized.jpg

Mini_Grovers_013_700~0.jpg

Here are some photos of some of the hardware, including the bridge, tailpiece, Kluson style tuners and Grover style tuners (during construction):

Prick your ears up, and in the distance you might make out the 'thud' of my jaw hitting the ground!

Great work, absolutely fantastic attention to detail. I take it you have access to a lathe and milling machine to achieve those results, not to mention some serious machining chops!

Thanks guys!

Here are some photos of some of the hardware, including the bridge, tailpiece, Kluson style tuners and Grover style tuners (during construction):

Prick your ears up, and in the distance you might make out the 'thud' of my jaw hitting the ground!

Great work, absolutely fantastic attention to detail. I take it you have access to a lathe and milling machine to achieve those results, not to mention some serious machining chops!

And yes, I have a lathe, but barely used it for any of that hardware; no, I don't have a milling machine; and no, I never did any machining before starting work on these parts. I did most of the work by hand (with files, saws, dremel, sander), and on my $99 Craftsman table top drill press (with a $99 X-Y axis milling-type vise). Oh, and one other critical tool...magnifying goggles. I found working with aluminum to be very similar to working with wood, only slower, and in much finer detail. It's a lot of fun, actually! :D

Frank

this is awesome!

For the octave guitar (the middle one in the pic right?) did you just use normal hardware and all?

And for the mini one. Where did you find such small hardware and the pickups?

And also where did you get the plans from. I'd be interested in experimenting with building one of these guitars some day

Edited by Cam

Wow this is just shocking, esp the detail and method of the hardware construction not to mention the overall level of build quality. Wow Wow Wow.

My question is, you had a soundclip with Matte Henderson playing . . .I dig his sound bytes on his page . . .does he have a full CD of stuff?

Also, WHO is gonna make a 2x scale Les Paul?!

Thanks again to everyone for their nice comments, and a special thanks to those who voted for my octave guitar in the September GOTM competition. And if you haven't already voted for your favorite (no matter which guitar you like best), please do so!

this is awesome!

For the octave guitar (the middle one in the pic right?) did you just use normal hardware and all?

And for the mini one. Where did you find such small hardware and the pickups?

And also where did you get the plans from. I'd be interested in experimenting with building one of these guitars some day

Thanks Cam! You're right; the middle guitar is the octave guitar, and I'm able to use mostly stock hardware for it. The only parts I have to fabricate myself for the octave guitars are the pickguard and bracket, truss rod cover, back control cavity cover, plus I have to make modifications to the pickup ring to account for the body contour. With the mini 1/2 scale guitar, I had to fabricate all the parts myself, including all the plastic parts (the knobs were the most challenging), and all the metal parts. Unfortunately, none of these parts are available anywhere, which makes these builds especially challenging and time consuming. The guitar case for this mini was one of the most fun...and challenging parts of this entire project.

Frank

Wow this is just shocking, esp the detail and method of the hardware construction not to mention the overall level of build quality. Wow Wow Wow.

My question is, you had a soundclip with Matte Henderson playing . . .I dig his sound bytes on his page . . .does he have a full CD of stuff?

Also, WHO is gonna make a 2x scale Les Paul?!

Thanks komodo! Keep in mind, that the hardware construction mostly applies to the 1/2 scale mini, and not the octave guitar. See the post directly above for details on what I had to fabricate for each.

Regarding Matte...yes, he's an incredible musician, and I'm very pleased to be working with him on this octave guitar project. And while he's performed on albums for many top acts, he doesn't currently have a CD of his own available...yet. He's busy working on one right now, however, and expects have the tracks completed and mixed within the next 4 - 5 months. And look for him to be using this octave guitar on the CD a fair amount (I hope)!

And who will be making the 2X scale Les Paul? I don't know about 2X, but here's a pic of me holding one of my minis in front of a very large LP:

2007_Gibson_Summer_Jam_024_500.jpg

Oh, and here's a video of a guy playing a giant Flying V:

Frank