Nitrocellulose Lacquer Reduction

What is the best ratio for mixing nitro lacquer

I am using deft.

I have never used DEFT other than the spray (which I learned the hard way that sucks). Experiment with different ratios, I use almost a 50-50, for most my coats, and then after the last level sanding I might shoot a coat or 2 at 25 nitro-75 lacquer. If you can trow away that thing and buy you some good lacquer from Stew or any other place.

What is the best ratio for mixing nitro lacquer

I am using deft.

I have never used DEFT other than the spray (which I learned the hard way that sucks). Experiment with different ratios, I use almost a 50-50, for most my coats, and then after the last level sanding I might shoot a coat or 2 at 25 nitro-75 lacquer. If you can trow away that thing and buy you some good lacquer from Stew or any other place.

Unfortunately I live in Canada and can't order from stewmac. I'm very limited on nitro choices here so i'll make the best of it. You referenced leveling sanding, Deft says no sanding needed between coats (I don't really trust that) how often would you recommend I level the finish. (I'm going for a vintage 6-8 coats of lacquer)

Unfortunately I live in Canada and can't order from stewmac. I'm very limited on nitro choices here so i'll make the best of it. You referenced leveling sanding, Deft says no sanding needed between coats (I don't really trust that) how often would you recommend I level the finish. (I'm going for a vintage 6-8 coats of lacquer)

Don't Grizzly sells to Canada? They sell Mc Faddens

Don't Grizzly sells to Canada? They sell Mc Faddens

I don't know that they do! I thought you were exactly right, but at looking at the foreigns orders page it says they don't ship small items to Canada, only the rest of the world :D ?? I don't know if I'm reading it wrong on the Q&A page under foreign orders but thats the way it reads.

Woodcraft.com sells to canada I believe and they sell Behlen Stringed Instrument Lacquer. I can't say personally if its better, maybe Maiden knows. I'd imagine it would be as its specifically designed for stringed instruments and has been used for a long while in the business and somewhat known. They also sell a whole host of oils and random finishing products including an easy to use shellac in a can, the Zinsser Bulls eye Universal Sanding Sealer and they even sell the 8oz bottles of Tru Oil which many people like. I'm testing with it right now and so far like it quite a bit. Definitely going to my neck with it.

Actually coming to mind right now is a thread from OLF about getting Lacquer and Poly in Canada and who sells it. I would have to dig up the thread which was probably from a year ago to find the answers, but it might be worth contacting the company directly and seeing what they do. I think some companies would sell to Canada, however you'd end up having to buy a larger supply than you'd like. I'm sure someone has to supply Canada with McFaddens and other lacquers.

Edited by jmrentis

Behlen Stringed Instrument Lacquer is good stuff. If you can get it it, you will be happy with it.

It doesn't blush as much as some of the others. Goes on very clear, and levels very very nicely.

I put it on with two dixie cups of Nitro, to one dixie cup thinner per coat for a large hollowbody, front back, neck, headstock.

-John

You can find ML Campbell and Mohawk distributors in Canada. I'm told both their stringed instrument lacquers are excellent, although I've never used them.

http://www.mlcampbell.com/pages/locate.asp

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/

I've used Deft in spray cans with no issues, and I'm experimenting with KTM-9 now.

Hope this helps,

Mike

I've used Deft in spray cans with no issues,

Mike

Mike, the issues with DEFT are apparent when you travel with the guitar or place it on a stand with a foam at the bottom. The foam will eat the finish and the nitro will mar with the fabric from the case. All my guitars that were painted with DEFT are in line to be refinished once I get some more lacquer or decide to do it on 2K.

The foam will eat the finish and the nitro will mar with the fabric from the case.

That's interesting? How long did you let it cure? I've only experienced problems with the spray can version on small projects and did not let it cure well before hitting it with the buffer.

I use deft for cabinets ( have for years ) and have never had a problem as well on Guitars. I do let it cure for 10 days per coat applied though. Have never had an issue. Maybe it's because I use the brushing lacquer and spray IT :D I usually reduce with thinner by 10% to 20 %. It flows nicely, has less problems with humidity and levels very nicely. I don't like the spray version at all though. Well I learn something new everyday. So I guess I have been lucky. :D I use an old automotive type gun and devilbiss touchup gun. I run about 46Lbs pressure on the touchup and about 62 lbs on the big gun. I also use a good inline moisture trap and drier as well, no problems even in humidity up to 70%. The retarder in the brushing lacquer helps with Blushing problems it seems. Must be more careful though about airborne particles as the flash time is a little longer.

Just my observations over the 100+ gallons or so I've sprayed over the years. B)

Mike

I've used Deft in spray cans with no issues,

Mike

Mike, the issues with DEFT are apparent when you travel with the guitar or place it on a stand with a foam at the bottom. The foam will eat the finish and the nitro will mar with the fabric from the case. All my guitars that were painted with DEFT are in line to be refinished once I get some more lacquer or decide to do it on 2K.

Ah, I see. I've never travelled with a guitar so I can't comment on that. I do have one hanging from a foam covered wall hanger that hasn't had any problems. I think with Deft it comes down to the climate where you live. Some people swear by it, and others despise it. I suspect the answer might be the temp / humidy levels where you live.

The foam will eat the finish and the nitro will mar with the fabric from the case.

That's interesting? How long did you let it cure? I've only experienced problems with the spray can version on small projects and did not let it cure well before hitting it with the buffer.

I use deft for cabinets ( have for years ) and have never had a problem as well on Guitars. I do let it cure for 10 days per coat applied though. Have never had an issue. Maybe it's because I use the brushing lacquer and spray IT :D I usually reduce with thinner by 10% to 20 %. It flows nicely, has less problems with humidity and levels very nicely. I don't like the spray version at all though. Well I learn something new everyday. So I guess I have been lucky. :D I use an old automotive type gun and devilbiss touchup gun. I run about 46Lbs pressure on the touchup and about 62 lbs on the big gun. I also use a good inline moisture trap and drier as well, no problems even in humidity up to 70%. The retarder in the brushing lacquer helps with Blushing problems it seems. Must be more careful though about airborne particles as the flash time is a little longer.

Just my observations over the 100+ gallons or so I've sprayed over the years. B)

Mike

It cured for a long time, I had the guitar on a rubber stand and never had a problem, then I get a nice stand with foam pads, and after being there for a few days, the paint was already eaten.

>snip<

Mike

It cured for a long time, I had the guitar on a rubber stand and never had a problem, then I get a nice stand with foam pads, and after being there for a few days, the paint was already eaten.

Man that sux! I'll watch out for that in the future. So far no problems here though. Thanks!!

MK