First Build 8 String

Hey Guys Im finally starting my first guitar build after seeing my brother Bass-Man43 as u might know made my 7 String Rhoads V.

Now about my guitar I'm Basing the body of an Rg. Its going to have a flamed maple top and a mahogany back..still kinda iffy on the stain i want to do transparent black for the top and a dark brown stain for the mahogany. And for all of those who have been waiting. I'm ending your impatience and making and 8 in line reverse esp headstock. I'm going to be actually starting it next week but i probably wont get much done. Im going to be waiting for the maple till the 20th or so. I'm just anxious to get start on this.

Any input would be much appreciated

:D

Edited by SuperCoolMan2005

Hey Guys Im finally starting my first guitar build after seeing my brother Bass-Man43 as u might know made my 7 String Rhoads V.

Now about my guitar I'm Basing the body of an Rg. Its going to have a flamed maple top and a mahogany back..still kinda iffy on the stain i want to do transparent black for the top and a dark brown stain for the mahogany. And for all of those who have been waiting. I'm ending your impatience and making and 8 in line reverse esp headstock. I'm going to be actually starting it next week but i probably wont get much done. Im going to be waiting for the maple till the 20th or so. I'm just anxious to get start on this.

Any input would be much appreciated

:D

you sure its a good idea to jump into an 8 before building a 6 or 7? i'm glad i built 2 6 string necks before building the 2 7's i've built, its a very natural progression, going from 6 to 7 to 8 string, imo.

Mental notes are great and so is the help but execution is what matters. I don't pretend to know your skill level but I'd suggest a little patience and rethink your plans and start with something simpler. Building guitars is not cheap and I'd hate to see you spend a lot of money on something your not happy with. You may get this advice from many on this board too.

Anyway, welcome to PG!

Terry

Edited by Doeringer

Mental notes are great and so is the help but execution is what matters. I don't pretend to know your skill level but I'd suggest a little patience and rethink your plans and start with something simpler. Building guitars is not cheap and I'd hate to see you spend a lot of money on something your not happy with. You may get this advice from many on this board too.

Anyway, welcome to PG!

Terry

His brother and I will be helping him along the way, as well as another luthier. If he ever gets stuck either of us three will help him out. Don't worry about it.

Trust me guys, he knows all about guitar building. He watched me and ngaa build all ours, he knows what to do and what not to. He knows about the costs involved and the dedication it takes. He's thought it through and this is what he wants, plus building an 8 is almost exactly the same as a 6 only this one has a baritone scale. Same practices just different outcome.

Bass-man43

keep in mind,

8 stringers parts cost a heck of a lot more. unless you make a bridge, you are limited by your choices. all of which are above 150 bucks. then, unless you use a bass pickup, your choices are limited to a emg 808, for like 120 bucks. just adding perspective

hipshot bridges aren't that expensive, i know guitarpartsdepot quoted me 60 for the 7 string bridge, but now i'm a hipshot dealer, and i can get em myself for that much :D

keep in mind,

8 stringers parts cost a heck of a lot more. unless you make a bridge, you are limited by your choices. all of which are above 150 bucks. then, unless you use a bass pickup, your choices are limited to a emg 808, for like 120 bucks. just adding perspective

Like I stated above, he knows the expenses so everybody needs to lay off that its just beating a dead horse. The hipshot bridges are $114 from where I get it and thats a far cry from 150... And he will either use an 808 or a 45 Dc bass pickup. Both work fine, so please stop badgering him with parts costs, he knows.

Bass-man43

ahh the kid will be fine!! theres really nothing to an 8 string its just like building every other guitar a bit longer and a bit wider :D

I wish you luck and I hope you have fun on this build

P.S I just wanted to add that Im useing the 45DC on my 8 and its sounds great but the 808 is not as wide so im sure that that may be a good idea depending on the size of the body. I for one like how wide the 45 is it just looks good

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

ahh the kid will be fine!! theres really nothing to an 8 string its just like building every other guitar a bit longer and a bit wider :D

I wish you luck and I hope you have fun on this build

P.S I just wanted to add that Im useing the 45DC on my 8 and its sounds great but the 808 is not as wide so im sure that that may be a good idea depending on the size of the body. I for one like how wide the 45 is it just looks good

Thank you Matt. I wish people would stop bugging me a about the price i really could care less what it cost. As long as its done i will be happy. And Pictures Very soon!!!!!

My personal opinion is that you need to start with building a bass, since it it only has 4 strings. Man I could see you starting with a 5 string bass, or maybe a 6, but an 8! You're rediculous! :D

An inline 8 headstock is gonna be wicked long. Anyway, good luck!

P.S. you should put 3 truss rods in it! People will call you an innovator!

Edited by Walmslap

My personal opinion is that you need to start with building a bass, since it it only has 4 strings. Man I could see you starting with a 5 string bass, or maybe a 6, but an 8! You're rediculous! :D

P.S. you should put 3 truss rods in it! People will call you an innovator!

I hope you're kidding.

1 truss rod is plenty enough for an 8 string neck.

keep in mind,

Like I stated above, he knows the expenses so everybody needs to lay off that its just beating a dead horse. The hipshot bridges are $114 from where I get it and thats a far cry from 150... And he will either use an 808 or a 45 Dc bass pickup. Both work fine, so please stop badgering him with parts costs, he knows.

Bass-man43

ok man, calm down there. i diddnt see anything about cost so i just thought id mention it. see ya

EDIT:

and now i looked, and there is not one thing about cost before i mentioned it. i dont know what your talking about.

Edited by killemall8

I don't see any reason that a 7 or 8 string should be harder than a six to build technically and while choice may be limited for hardware, no more so than if ordered from a custom builder which may well be the only alternative for such an instrument. More power to you for attempting it and with help on hand I look forward to seeing the results...

pete

I just saw this...this is a very good point and you should reconsider this aspect...if you do manage to do it it will be potentially weak, under enormous strain (plus leverage) and will most likely flex. I have seen something like this and it looked a little silly and fragile and something more suitable with a 6 below and two above for the heavier strings might give you something of the look and address the design flaw...just a thought

Edited by psw

keep in mind,

Bass-man43

ok man, calm down there. i diddnt see anything about cost so i just thought id mention it. see ya

EDIT:

and now i looked, and there is not one thing about cost before i mentioned it. i dont know what your talking about.

He knows about the costs involved and the dedication it takes. He's thought it through and this is what he wants.

Bass-man43

It was the post right before yours, by the way.

Stop arguing, he knows the prices, he knows it won't get finished in 2 days, and he knows it won't be easy. Thanks to anyone who's actually gave information about anything.

Edited by ngaa

keep in mind,

Bass-man43

if you want a better price, pm me.

well my next 8 string will have an inline 8 headstock Ill be useing the same design that I have on my impaler it wount be much longer so I think the inline 8 is good way to go,

The hipshot bridges are $114

thats alot for a hipshot I paid 60.00 USD for mine, shoot ElysianGuitars a pm man not that Im geting in to the cost thing but it is nice to keep what you can in your pockets

Hey if Carvin pulled off an in-line 12 string headstock, I'm sure an 8 string can work:

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/images/yearbyy...neheadstock.jpg

i don't think i'd call that "pulled off", its pretty silly looking! but you're right, 8 in line can work, but its very very likely to be neck heavy, where something more compact like 4+4 wouldn't be quite as heavy.

Edited by ElysianGuitars