Cutting Sandpaper

bluesy

What do you use to cut sandpaper? For example, I have a small electric orbital sander that uses 1/3 sheet paper. I could usually buy pre-cut sheets from the store, but they are more expensive, and sometimes I need a grit that I have supplies of in normal full sheet paper - so it would save a trip to the store if I cut that stuff for use.

Normally I just tear sandpaper to the size I need, but I am thinking this will leave and edge that is a bit ragged, and may cause scratches in the wood when using it on the sander. Scissors would work for the finer grit paper, but wouldn't it make them blunt quite fast?

What do you use to cut sandpaper? For example, I have a small electric orbital sander that uses 1/3 sheet paper. I could usually buy pre-cut sheets from the store, but they are more expensive, and sometimes I need a grit that I have supplies of in normal full sheet paper - so it would save a trip to the store if I cut that stuff for use.

Normally I just tear sandpaper to the size I need, but I am thinking this will leave and edge that is a bit ragged, and may cause scratches in the wood when using it on the sander. Scissors would work for the finer grit paper, but wouldn't it make them blunt quite fast?

I just fold it and tear it on the side of a table or something that doesn't have rounded over corners my scroll saw table works fine. It won't scratch th wood or anything. Another thing you can do is nail a hacksaw blade to a piece of wood and put the sandpaper under that but it takes more time and isn't really that much more useful.

Thanks for all the fast replies. Didn't think of using a knife, but yes, especially one with a snap off end when it get's blunt, should work well.

As for tearing it, I have definitely suffered scratches from the edge of heavy grit sandpaper that was not cut off neat. Took a fair bit of sanding to get rid of them too.

but again, thanks for the suggestions...

I usually fold it against itself, creasing the fold with a hardwood block. (This helps it tear more cleanly) then I tear it against a table edge or some such as others mention. For stuff like some of my wet-dry papers that don't tear easily, I use a straightedge and a utility knife (the type with disposable blades so I don't worry about needing to sharpen them)

There was mention in this in Fine Woodworking as well - one of the reader-submitted shop tips, the reader mentions a sandpaper storage solution he made, and how he used a set of markings in combination with a razor edge from a box of wax paper to tear sandpaper. Here's a link, a picture is better than my lousy description:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/sub...e.aspx?id=28277

One tip not mentioned (I typically use a straight edge after folding...but a knife is better...watch your fingers)...

If your sander takes paper with holes in it for dust extraction....these things are useful as dust and especially grit from the paper that falls off can be vibrated around all over the surface...not good. Use a hole punch to put holes in the paper as required...or even punch through the paper onto the holes with a pencil to let the dust and grit be removed.

Are we trying to see if a simple sandpaper cutting thread can go on for a couple pages ? :D

'cause I'm running out of ideas.

How about wrapping razor wire around one of your car's wheels and backing over the sandpaper laying on your drive-way ?

Speaking of cutting the hell out of your hand. Watch out on a fresh routed edge on a piece of laminate flooring. Man, I got it good on some of that a few months ago.

Are we trying to see if a simple sandpaper cutting thread can go on for a couple pages ? :D

'cause I'm running out of ideas.

How about wrapping razor wire around one of your car's wheels and backing over the sandpaper laying on your drive-way ?

Hey, I'm up to the challenge if you are!! Alright a new one huh, how about using a pizza cutter to score the sandpaper before using your karate chop to sever the pieces.