New Kaye Build

Kenny

well, before i posted anything aobut this i wanted to have some work done

but here was the initial design

soldeepercutaways2022frpa2.jpg

i decided i wanted to make 2 at once, so i got to making two necks

heres some pics

img0086ql7.jpg

thats my lovely girlfriend drawing on my extension table :-p (hey, if shes happy, imm happy, mostly becuase when shes bored...she makes me miserable, and not able to work on my guitar :-p)

now unfortunatly the neck in that first picture just got to thin :-\ the wood started flexing where the TR is, and when i was trying to save it, it broke through ever so slightly....there went that neck haha

i managed to get the TR out for the next one i make though. i did take pictures of the aftermath :D it was interesting to see where the wood broke. the headstock was VERY thin because i was going to use a thick headplate, there was a scarf joing and volute, but it was intresting to see that after 6 hammer blows it broke near the 3rd fret. nowhere near the "weak" areas ( i was smaking the headstock with the rest of the neck clamped down)

here are some pics of that

i managed to put it back together for a photo op :D i have pics of it shattered too haha

img0092hc2.jpg

naturally this really bummed me out, becuase i had to waste some perfectly good wood, but i learned from my mistakes and finished the 2nd neck up nicely (or close to finished, i fretted it, and touched up the radius that i did on my new jig i made...it also made the sanding blocks...will never use anything else again! (its a standard radiused sled and router jig)

here is the remaining neck (on monday when the th&H opens again im gonna go pick up wood for 3 or 4 more necks and redo the one that broke) also start another build, a more "metal" V and a "shred strat"

99736211dp5.jpg

94302926mp1.jpg

im sure ill get to makgin the bodies within the next week. btw, im using the same wood for the top as i did in the rendering

opinions?

Kenny

Edited by Kenny

I really like the idea as the drawing depicts it. The shape reminds me a little of a cross between an Ibanez and a PRS. Of course, that is just what I see, I am sure others will see something else. What kind of wood are you using for your fretboard? It always sucks when a project (or a part of a project) goes down the tubes. I once had a beatiful piece of koa for a fretboard and I messed things up. Shame to lose something like that. But as long as you learn, the lesson can be more valuable than the wood, and usually is.

haha, i guess your right, only concern i have is if people copy me designs that since im a small scale producer they would cease to be my designs :D

when i designed this particular body i was looking at dean hardtail, prs double cutaway, Ibanez SA, Carvin CT3, and some others that i cant remember off the top of my head. anyways i wasnt lying when i said that its a bastard child, but its my bastard child. haha

anyways yea, the headstock shape is a funny thing. my first guitar's headstock was similar, but without the dip in the middle, and a much longer point. after i decided i wanted to persue guitar building as more than a hobby i sat and pondered what inspires me, being as i live in southern california there are a lot of "missions" up and down the coast. those and my schools landmark building (San Diego State University) all have that spanish style roof line. i tried to emmulate that, but i didnt like the look at all, but i just kinda started messing around with the curved polygons on my cad and i finally got the idea to shrink the bump and angle everything sort of like a wave. in the end it doesnt look like much of anything, but thats how i got there :-p

On a more interesting note, i stopped by Th&H and dropped 150$ on wood...i went to go get maple for 1 neck. but then i saw quatered hond. mahag and i had to get the whole board. haha i got some body blanks too...and lotsa maple. i started making the 2nd neck today. ill scarf tomorrow when i have some glue, i also got my FB blank to size slotted, tapered and ready to be radiused tomorrow

the FB is a dark dark purple indian rosewood, ill post pics tomorrow i guess after its radiused.

also, has anyone heard of wetting the fretboard while your fret it (lightly just enough to expand the wood a little) ia guitar tech told me that a while ago and i was pondering trying it, apperantly you get a much closer seat.

Kenny

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, sorry its been a while since ive updated i went up to sacramento for the weekend and had the most difficult time getting back! anyways heres the progress

finished neck number 2 (sorry no pics of that, its identical to the first one, just with a deep purple rosewood FB - im thinking sunset burst?)

i cut out the body blanks for both of them, and made a make shift jointer out of my router which finally gave out on me today (i cant adjust the height anymore....its a crappy one anyyways, was time to upgrade) i glued one of the tops on one of the shaped bodies, and put the headplate on the headstock on the 1st neck

here are some pics

hpim0698cd6.jpg

hpim0700ls0.jpg

hpim0701ll7.jpg

on this pic its not that the joints are bad, its just that i glued up the top today and got anxious so the dark areas are glue pockets that were still a little maleable (ill fix that up tomorrow) im really happy with how that joint turned out!

hpim0705sg3.jpg

and on this one you cant see the figure but its the same as the top on the body :D

hope you guys like it!

this particular one is going to be the blue that i did in the rendering, its twin is i think going to be a purple/red/orange burst i dont know yet though

well, just got in my adapter collet and routeed out neck pocket on guitar 1

still waitting to glue the top on guitar 2, so i think ill make pickup templates for them

anyways heres some pics, btw it passes perry's test :D

hpim0709en3.jpg

hpim0710zq3.jpg

hpim0715ma7.jpg

i did have a real hard time lining it up with the glue joint on the top as the centre line, but i did mark where the guides for my router went so getting a centre line for the neck is no issue, but how do you guys line the neck up? (just for convieniencies sake, becuase i dont want guitar 2 to have the same issue

Kenny

That's some nice looking work. I like the figure on that top plate. Between the way the grain runs and the figure, it gives the impression of waves on the shore of a lake. I look forward to seeing it all finished up.

• 4 weeks later...

well, i dont know if i should enter it, i really like the guitar with the goldleaf, and i dont want to have to compete against andy :-p if i do enter it im voting for his :-p

anyways, i shaped the heal with the neck unattatched / the neck isnt warped, the pickup height is just uneven :-p and i shaped the body with a rasp...theres gotta be an easier way!

Kenny