Acoustic Rock Songs

Sparky3

My friend gave me an acoustic guitar, not the best but something to learn on. After i learn a bit what are some good rock,metal or whatever kind of songs that aren't real difficult that i can learn. I figure if i learn real music instead of twinkle twinkle i'll enjoy it more.Also any advice on dvd's to learn from. thanks. :D

My friend gave me an acoustic guitar, not the best but something to learn on. After i learn a bit what are some good rock,metal or whatever kind of songs that aren't real difficult that i can learn. I figure if i learn real music instead of twinkle twinkle i'll enjoy it more.Also any advice on dvd's to learn from. thanks. :D

Get one of those pop/rock fake books. Best way to start building the repetoire.

I recommend Fretboard Logic by Bill Edwards. It doesn't teach songs but it teaches theory and patterns on the fretboard which can then be applied to whatever you want to play. It is slightly boring but if you make the time to learn theory, it will really help playing any instrument. I have Fretboard Logic levels 1 and 2 and Bass Logic. There is are DVDs available but I didn't have the cash to buy them. Oh, and no children's songs. I know how annoying they are and I wouldn't have bought a book with them.

There are a lot of good books and you are swamped for choice these days for information and tablature to learn...perhaps too much...

Learn a few chords and try and pick out some simple melodies while your fingers are getting used to it and growing calluses...

A lot of rock songs really only have a couple of chords so one way to get the hang of it is to learn the basic chords of a song and play along...sure it won't sound like the "real thing" but it will help with learning rhythm and song structure, strengthen the hands, toughen up the fingers and get your coordination happening...a lot of those lyric sites include basic chords to songs with the words...

Similarly...you can learn a few riffs...classics like Led Zeppelins 'whole lot of love' for instance are ridiculously easy...

It is easier if you are sufficiently motivated to learn stuff...good to have some goal...

So the question is...what kind of music is it that you like or would like to play?

Funny as the don't play 'stairway to heaven' joke is...in my day that really was a song that guys and girls judged if you were a "real" guitar player by (these days it's probably Vai's for the 'love of god' or something) and so we dutifully learned that even though it mean't missing out a lot in between...it's good to try and push yourself...

I remember the first "song" I learned though...two chord (D and A) arlo guthrie thing...'walking down the line'...on my sister's classical guitar...played that song for hours in front of the tv learning to change from A to D...hehehhe...I even remember the words 'walking down the line, feet 'ill be flying, tell you bout my worried mind' (I don't know what I thought about the Heavy, heavy girl verse...hahaha...I was only 11 or something!)

If you like the blues...there is a heap of great songs that are approachable and will give you a good introduction to pentatonic lead and riff playing that is the basis of almost all rock music anyway...

enjoy...

pete

my first one was 'house of the rising sun' then 'itchycoo park' then 'sweet home alabama' and 'Here comes the sun'

and lots and lots of punk songs (the real kind not the crappy modern stuff)