Ormsby Guitars - Multiscale Custom Eight String

Nice work Perry, but that's always a given.

I'm curious, did you manage to get the grain match to extend through the end grain? I always hate working on the end grain at the arse end of the guitar, even if I'm just doing a straight natural/clear finish.

The end grain was fairly good, just the faces didnt match.

Just got home from meeting Dragonforce. Took this guitar, and six others down to show them. Herman Li was a bit standoffish until he actually saw one of the Multiscales, and his tech starting telling him how great they were, and then we couldn't get the guitars back off him! Not sure what will come of it, but contact details were exchanged. Their tech ended up coming back with me to the factory, to hang out and see some other works in progress. Dropped him off out the back of the venue, and came straight home. They should be on stage within a half hour or so :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work Perry, but that's always a given.

I'm curious, did you manage to get the grain match to extend through the end grain? I always hate working on the end grain at the arse end of the guitar, even if I'm just doing a straight natural/clear finish.

The end grain was fairly good, just the faces didnt match.

Just got home from meeting Dragonforce. Took this guitar, and six others down to show them. Herman Li was a bit standoffish until he actually saw one of the Multiscales, and his tech starting telling him how great they were, and then we couldn't get the guitars back off him! Not sure what will come of it, but contact details were exchanged. Their tech ended up coming back with me to the factory, to hang out and see some other works in progress. Dropped him off out the back of the venue, and came straight home. They should be on stage within a half hour or so :D

That would be cool to have guitars popping up all over the place. Especially with guitarists endorsed by major brands.

Now watch for the Ibenez multiscale..... :D

Now watch for the Ibenez multiscale.....

HAHA All to true :D

i was talking to a mate earlier today over a fairly good pint.... he did ask if i intended to do an 8 string, he is a mehsuggah fan...i pointed him straight to perry's videos

ths truth is i have had a plan for a an 8 string in my head for a while, ever since tim at bare knuckle pickups mentioned they would make an 8 string pickup... but i have a great maple burl top and a great body design i really think would work well for a 8 string MS build

Wez, I would recommend the EMG rather than barenuckle. The bass side needs compression, and I dont feel passives can offer that, otherwise I would have installed my own pickups (although i plan on experimenting with multiple magnet designs, ie: mixing the magnet types for different string responce). This was one of the points Meshugah raised which i couldnt put on my video. They didnt like the Lundgren pickups, but didnt know of any alternatives.

yeah, i still need to consider whats going to work best so i will probably phone and discuss pickups with Tim... there has been many a time he has talked me out of using his products because he didnt think it would be right for the guitar... or usually suggesting a route i really hadnt considered. never had a bad pickup from them!