My "future" Guitar Build

juze

So. Let's start.

BODY, NECK AND WOOD: (American) Walnut for body, thru-neck. Jackson Dinky shape. Jackson headstock. 26" scale (660.4mm), 22 frets, 7-string. Nogal (Peru walnut) for fretboard and nogal veneer to headstock and cavity covers.

ELECTRONICS: Only bridge pickup: Dimarzio Blaze Custom DP703, volume pot and tone pot.

HARDWARE: ALL BLACK! Wilkinson tuners, string-thru-body ferrules, Tune-o-matic, dunno about the saddle yet :S.

FINISH: I've decided to paint it. Some dark color. :D

Hmm. Am I missing something? Tell me.

-Juze aka Ghroath

Edited by juze

Hmm, sounds nice. But I've decided to paint it. Not 100% sure about the color, but it's gonna be dark color.

But hey! Should I make the neck blank almost ready before attaching the wings? Or should I glue "wing-blanks" to neck-blank first and then start making shape and neck.

-Juze aka Ghroath

Depends on your design, but I found it easier to prep the neck-through and wings to be joined, and then to do the majority of the work on the neck before actually gluing the wings. It makes it easier to shape the neck if I'm not trying to work around the horns of the body. If you're rounding over the edges of the body wtih a router, or doing binding, it may be easier to make those routes on the body edges before you glue them to the neck-through as well.

Just think about all the steps you have to do, and how each step is going to impact the other ones and do it in the order that makes sense to you.

why use walnut if your gonna paint it

maple will give you a very similar tone at about half the cost

Because I already have the woods, and I almost got them free. My dad works in parquet factory so... I just have to wait till next Friday when I've woodworking in school. :D

And I thought it would be easier to first prepare the neck and then attach the wings. Thanks for your advice! :D

-Juze aka Ghroath

Walnut and Maple sound nothing alike.Walnut is creamy and smooth sounding,while maple is cutting and almost shrill.

I would not hesitate to cover straight grained walnut with paint...it is not an ugly wood,but it isn't that eye catching either.

Plus..straight grained plain walnut is almost exactly the same price as straight grained maple.

Walnut and Maple sound nothing alike.Walnut is creamy and smooth sounding,while maple is cutting and almost shrill.

I would not hesitate to cover straight grained walnut with paint...it is not an ugly wood,but it isn't that eye catching either.

Plus..straight grained plain walnut is almost exactly the same price as straight grained maple.

I have a solid maple guitar with a bolt on maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. Nothing shrill about it in-fact it even has an active pickup and it still has more bass response than treble. Dunno, it is BE maple which tends to be a bit softer than rock maple but I've seen alot of maple bodies that aren't too shrill.

Yesterday I got very slightly improvement to my build. I glued the blanks together to make one neck blank and two wing blanks. My planks were 200cm x 15cm x 2,54 cm so I had to glue two planks on top of other to make it thicker. Waiting till next friday. Now I should make some drawings here at home.

-Juze aka Ghroath

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yea. I received the parts today. Parts( 2-action Truss rod, MOP inlay dots, String-thru ferrules, a pile of fretwire :D, potentiometers and black halfdome knobs for them, hardtail bridge, two nut blanks (2 b/c if i screw up) and tuners.) Maybe tomorrow me and my two friends will make order to thomann. I'll get Dimarzio Blaze 7 Bridge pick-up, PU ring for it and some strings. I'm sorry that I don't have any progress pictures of my build. And it makes me crazy that I can work on this build not until next year.

-Juze aka Ghroath

Edit: Posted pic of my build plan.

BTW:COULD ANY MODERATOR MOVE THIS TO IN PROGRESS&FINISHED?

Link

Edited by juze

Thanks Wes!

Looks like it's going to turn out nice. Keep us updated on the progress.

I try to update us much I can.

Here are some pics of the parts:

Tuners

Bridge, 15 6mm MOP dots and nut blanks.

Pots with knobs, ferrules, about 2,5 meters of fretwire and trussrod.

-Juze aka Ghroath

none of those pictures work

edit: weird, i got the "moved or deleted" image earlier on all 3, but now they all work :D

Edited by ElysianGuitars

Because heaven forbid you might want to make a guitar with good tonewood then cover up the wood with a nice color...?

You guys really need to lighten up...I am so sick of butt ugly wood colored guitars..give me a nice paint job any day...black is always good...but anything is better than clear coated walnut...unless it is highly figured claro walnut... :D

Because heaven forbid you might want to make a guitar with good tonewood then cover up the wood with a nice color...?

You guys really need to lighten up...I am so sick of butt ugly wood colored guitars..give me a nice paint job any day...black is always good...but anything is better than clear coated walnut...unless it is highly figured claro walnut... :D

i agree mostly, except i'm so sick of black guitars :D